What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Thu 29 #8TabacOCtober#23 SOTD
Soap Tabac
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express
Razor Gillette Goodwill
Blade Gillette Winner Platinum 3rd
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Clubman WhiskyWood
Great lather! Thick, creamy and slick.
Shave with razor paired with blade was okok. Smooth initially but by the 3rd atg pass not so. Blade will be ditched. Result was satisfactory between bbs to dfs. Excellent post & aftershaves.
Rating 9/10
20201029_163910.jpg

24-hour beard

Gillette 1930s NEW Short Comb/Personna blade of some stripe (3)

Mix of TOBS Peppermint cream and Stirling Bay Rum & Noir soap

APShaveCo synth tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

No work today since Hurricane Zeta has blown through and my office is closed, so I had no rush. Shower, a little TOBS Peppermint as a pre-shave, then face-lathered the Stirling soaps. A 24-hour beard means only 1-2 passes: WTG on cheeks and throat, then ATG on throat and a bit of cleanup. Clean smooth face, not BBS but without irritation. Verdict: 9.3.

Razor: Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium (5)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic 26mm
Preshave: Lather & Wood Pre-Shave Oil Unscented
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch Rasierseife Organic
Aftershave: Alum block followed by Aqua Velva Classic

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

No nicks. No irritation. Very close and smooth shave.

Alum report was low. AVC report was exciting but not overly so. It is easy for me to over shave with the Mamba 70 and the PolSilver SI. As it is dulling out, I’m getting a better shaves.

I had forgotten how excellent the PolSilver SI is!!!

Rating: 10/10

Daily Shave: 29 October 2020

No picture today.

Prep:
Dial Liquid Soap face wash
Razor:
WCS 84S
Soap:
Viking ‘uber’ lather using rain water
Brush:
Omega 11126
Blade:
Gillette Nacet / Blade #4 / Shave #4
Passes:
WTG and ATG
Cleanup:
Wipe face dry and then Witch Hazel wipe
Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman
Rating:
10.0 DFS+ Nice shave for another cool and not dry morning. This morning’s shave was improved by less water in the brush. No stubble, nicks, or weepers at all today. However, this blade is hinting that it is getting dull.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9.5/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Black Ship Grooming Captain Scurvy
Brush: WCS Honeycomb Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: Timeless SS SB .68 w/scalloped head & base
Blade: Kai SS (4)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Black Ship Grooming Captain Scurvy

Excellent shave this morning, DFS/BBS. Two very small, minor weepers on the first pass lower right of my neck. I took a half a point off and swapped out the blade for a fresh Kai after the shave was over. Otherwise, very good results. Captain Scurvy sails the high seas of my face. Oh-Daddy-Oh did Captain Scurvy sting when I splashed it on! Gwar!

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20201029.jpg

Razor: Gem Heavy (G Bar).
Blade: Brand-spankin Personna PTFE Gem.
Brush: Omega 10066.
Sopa: Take a guess....Cella EEP.
AS: Another shocker...Proraso red splash.
EDT: Proraso Wood & Spice.

6.5/10. I'm not sure if it the unbroken in boar brush, the new (to me razor) or the new Gem blade, but this just wasn't a great shave. Even now, two hours after the shave, I have irritation.
IMG_1742.jpg

Razor: Gem Heavy (G Bar).
Blade: Brand-spankin Personna PTFE Gem.
Brush: Omega 10066.
Sopa: Take a guess....Cella EEP.
AS: Another shocker...Proraso red splash.
EDT: Proraso Wood & Spice.

6.5/10. I'm not sure if it the unbroken in boar brush, the new (to me razor) or the new Gem blade, but this just wasn't a great shave. Even now, two hours after the shave, I have irritation.View attachment 1175140
A brand new unbroken GEM PTFE blade can definatly leave your face feeling “hot prickly” afterwards. It needs three shaves to calm it down. It’s basically using your face as a strop for the first three shaves.

Razor: 1958 D2 Gillette TV Special (Super Speed)
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
TV_Special.jpg

Rating: 9.8

A rushed morning shave on two days of growth. Williams was the secret to success: BBS today after WTG/XTG/ATG passes; no irritation today, no cuts, and no nicks. I'm only deducting 0.2 from the score because I missed a whisker or two on the Adam's apple. The TV Special is now a serious contender with the Ranger Tech for me - a pleasant surprise.

A brand new unbroken GEM PTFE blade can definatly leave your face feeling “hot prickly” afterwards. It needs three shaves to calm it down. It’s basically using your face as a strop for the first three shaves.

Hmm. Good to know. The good news I also shave my head (hence my handle) so that should help smooth it out. I honestly think that boar brush added, in that it is not broken in and still kind of prickly. I'll probably go back to an ugly old Rockwell S for a few shaves. No worries, I still look hot! :c2:

Starting off with Big Shave S'West by PAA with a B&B LE 2014 brush made by Rudy Vey. The razor is a Feather AS-D2 razor combined with a Feather blade. The aftershave is Thayers Rose Petal WH followed by L'Occitane ASB. The fragrance is Versace The Dreamer. A perfect 10/10 shave.

Thursda shave 1.jpg

Razor: Karve SS B plate OC
Blade: Nacet
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Soap: The Club - Club BaccarKaizen 2
AS: Club Baccara
Rating: 9.5/10

Great shave this morning. The Kaizen base was already excellent and version 2 has even a more slight improvement. The scent of this soap is off the charts to me. Gourmand and masculine. Scent strength a good 7.5.
7649C291-1E4B-47A2-9D2C-469B22F4991B.jpeg

A day of firsts for me today. A new razor, new soap and new aftershave as well as a fresh blade.

These new items are from the Sue Moore auction donated by @Captain Pre-Capsize and his huge generosity. I am a bit under the weather and the sense of smell is a bit off but I couldn't not use some new items that showed up yesterday. After smelling the Venture soap I am a of the fruit scents coming through and could see this making it into my summer rotation. I may have over hydrated to soap, I got it pretty thin. Good thing I didn't use much of it.

The aftershave left my face very "fresh" feeling if that makes sense. Sometimes an aftershave will tighten my face way up and I don't always enjoy that. This was pleasent smelling and I can feel the menthol and if someone is looking for a cooler aftershave. This probably needs considered.

Now this razor. A Merkur 34C. Loaded with one of my top blades my approach was about being careful. My first pass left me unimpressed. I had a lot of whiskers left on my face but it was very smooth. So prepped for the 2nd pass, slightly more angle and then things started to happen. A 3rd pass left me 90% to BBS and all I could think was how I had no irritation. So I did a very deep and long clean up pass. This set me up for a 99.5% BBS.

A very surprising shave actually with so much new stuff, normally my dumb self can't get something right until I get some practice.

9.3/10

KM

PXL_20201029_125416518.jpg

A bit of an Italian theme for today's shave.
PXL_20201029_104419709.jpg

Razor: Fatip Open Comb Slant
Blade: Feather HS (3)
Brush: Razorock 400
Soap: Vitos extra super coco
Rating: 9.5

The FOCS arrived at pretty much the same time as my Blackbird and didn't really get much of a look in. This was only the third time I've used it and got a dfs result. It felt more aggressive on one side than the other but the blade looked equally aligned to the bar on both sides. The feather was starting to feel a little rough on the third use so next I'll try it with a Gillette Platinum and pay closer attention to blade alignment. I don't think it's as efficient as the Blackbird but I'll have a few more shaves with it to dial it in more.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Today's shave 3 days of growth

Rockwell 6C (R5)
Polsilver SI (2)
Simpson Trafalgar T2 synthetic
Haslinger Schafmilch soap
Thayers witch hazel
Baxter of california aftershave balm
9/10 👍
(First shave with the Schafmilch soap different but just had to try it)

View attachment 1175098
Nice soap, easy to lather with a nice mild scent & great post shave feel IMO. Enjoy it like I have!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
OCtober 29th, Thur, 2020

Razor:Gillette old type with a tech fat handle-Mfg in the 1920's, to brass this head that much prior owners must of shaved 10,000 times >?The person who had this last before me had paper wedged in handle, so his technique was unique, squeeze & stroke!:detective:
Blade: Gillette 7 oClock Black- I enjoy this blade for it's smoothness, similar to the GSB without the wax spots.
Soap: Taylor of old bond street Sandalwood- 1st tub used up, love the scent they have mastered by TOBS. Good lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26 mm brown whiskers- good brush to use to clean the last of my Sandal wood cream, excellent brush.
Soft tips with good backbone & good lather creator.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser, + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red Sandal wood with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:Different type of shave with this vintage Gillette old type razor.

OCtober 29th, Thur, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Top Bottom