What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Face Wash
- Sukin Pore Refining Facial Scrub
- Clinique Clarifying Lotion No.2
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil
- Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet shaving cream

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Scottish Fine Soaps Thistle & Black Pepper Aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Gillette '58 Super Speed TV Special
- GSB (4)
- Antica Barberia Mondial Boar

Shave Rating: 8/10
Fourth shave using this razor and blade setup, but don't think it's one I'll use again. The combination felt a bit rough and had a prickly feel to it and I got a bit of sting out of the alum block. Despite this there doesn't seem to be any irritation so overall not a bad shave.
Blenheim Bouquet smelled great as always, but I'm not sure how long I'll keep it in my rotation now that we are into autumn/winter in the UK, might have to switch it out soon for a more season appropriate scent!

Fatip OC Mk2 frankenrazor - George Jetson Edition
Bolzano (3)
Omega 49 boar brush
365 glycerin soap wash
Omega eucalyptus shaving soap
Dickinson's witch hazel
Proraso White balm

Clean, comfortable shave with Italian flavor; DFS+

Notes:
  • The older formulation of Omega Eucalyptus soap is somewhat underappreciated. Similar to Proraso Green, but a bit nicer; has eucalyptus and lanolin, but little to no menthol. Leaves a very clean finish, with just a bit of skin conditioning from the lanolin.
  • George Jetson Edition = Fatip OC Mk2 base plate + Merkur 23c cap + WCS 84s handle
  • Today's shave equipment was randomly selected -- do you want to play a game?

Razor: 1958 D2 Gillette TV Special (Super Speed)
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic
Soap: Stirling Coniferous
Rating: 9.0

Morning shave on a day and a half of growth. Near BBS or DFS++ after WTG/XTG/ATG passes; no irritation today, but three small nicks under the lower lip, so I deducted 1.0 from the rating when also factoring in minimal felt stubble ATG.

This is my first time using a vintage Super Speed. This one is like new, and I will post a pic next time.

My initial impressions are:
1. The shave and results from the TV Special felt similar to what I get from a Fatboy (and maybe a Slim) adjusted to 3 on the dial (but I usually set the Fatboy and Slim at 5 to 7).
2. There is much less blade feel with the TV Special, but also much lower efficiency, than what I experienced when using the 1941 Ranger Tech TTO. Shave angle on the 1941 Ranger Tech is also steeper.
3. This 1958 TTO head looks similar to my 1960 Fatboy head, not the flatter 1966 Slim head.
4. Overall, I think this will be a good daily shaver that will work on up to two days of stubble, but I will reach for the 1941 Ranger Tech when I need a perfect, smooth as glass BBS.
Afternoon update on today's TV Special shave: there was some noticeable stubble (mostly felt and not seen) by early afternoon, so the Ranger Tech appears to be a closer shaver for me (using the same blade/soap/brush combo). Hope this is helpful information.

My Tuesday Morning Shave
Two days growth​
Prep: Warm shower​
Two pass shave: WTG, AGT/XTG​
Merkur Progress 510 @ Level 3​
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Waterfall Bubinga w/ 26mm High Mountain White Fan​
Soap: Proraso Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 9.8/10 DFS! No irritation! No Nicks!
  • Very close even shave!
  • This brush is awesome! I love the way that it performs and the way that it looks!
  • The GSB blade has been kind of a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. This specific blade tore me up the first two times I used it, caused minor irritation and some nicks the last time, but was excellent today...
  • I am not sure if I like this soap, I will probably move on to something else when this is used up...
proxy.php

The blade seemed sharp but the R89, again (same story as yesterday), just isn't aggressive enough for me to get a close shave.
Me too. On paper and after inspecting the blade angle, exposure, gap, etc., of my EJ89 (same as R89 head), I am at a loss to explain how I have never been able to get a close shave with this razor. I can get a BBS shave with a 1957 Gillette Tech and a Merkur 23C, but not with the DE89.

My Tuesday Morning Shave
Two days growth​
Prep: Warm shower​
Two pass shave: WTG, AGT/XTG​
Merkur Progress 510 @ Level 3​
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Waterfall Bubinga w/ 26mm High Mountain White Fan​
Soap: Proraso Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 9.8/10 DFS! No irritation! No Nicks!
  • Very close even shave!
  • This brush is awesome! I love the way that it performs and the way that it looks!
  • The GSB blade has been kind of a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. This specific blade tore me up the first two times I used it, caused minor irritation and some nicks the last time, but was excellent today...
  • I am not sure if I like this soap, I will probably move on to something else when this is used up...
proxy.php
The Progress is a great razor.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Tuesday Night Shave, 27-10-2030

Razor- Rockwell 6C
Blade - Gillette 7'OCLOCK Super Platinum (Gillette Black)
Brush - Maggard 26mm Synthetic
Soap - Williams Mug Soap / William Marvy Mug
Great shave, 9.8/10

20201027_194635_kindlephoto-55969685.jpg

Last edited:
Wed 28th OCtober#22 SOTD with New Soap
Soap Phoenix & Beau Imperial Rum
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake Badger
Razor Pearl OC (Locally named Cukur)
Blade Derby Usta 4th
Post & Aftershaves
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Clubman GentsGin
Another new soap from P&B. Not much scent directly from the tub but it came during lathering. Nice mild bayrum scent...around 5/10. Hmmmm...
somehow the lather is not as good quality. Perhaps brush loading was too brief.
Shave with razor paired with blade was not as smooth too. However, 3 passes without any issues and between bbs to dfs results. Interesting. Good post and aftershaves. Rating 9/10
20201028_112004.jpg

Prep: VMV preshave facial scrub
Pre Shave: Grooming Dept unscented with menthol
Razor: Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor
Blade: Gillette 7oclock yellow (3)
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Soap: Berrister and Mann Ferox
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann balm unscented.
Rating : 9.5/10

Havent been enjoying my shaves with the Charcoal Goods everyday razor so today I put a shim in it. The shave was better with the shim. Smooth and way better efficiency. Didnt have to do plenty of buffing. No cuts, nicks, weepers and irritation. Enjoyed my shave with the shim. Hoping that CG will release a level 2 everyday razor.
76331C46-E87D-4A04-AC26-D864DE00714A.jpeg

Razor: Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium (4)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic 26mm
Preshave: Lather & Wood Pre-Shave Oil Unscented
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch Rasierseife Organic
Aftershave: Alum block followed by Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

No nicks. No irritation. Very close and smooth shave.
Alum report was low. It is easy for me to over shave with the Mamba 70 and the PolSilver SI. As it is dulling out, I’m getting a better shave.

I had forgotten how excellent the PolSilver SI is!!!

Rating: 10/10

24-hour beard today (I'm working from home thanks to the Big Wind that's coming)

Gillette 1965 Travel Tech/Shark blade (2)

La Toja stick soap, w/ a little Erasmic soap as a pre-shave

APShaveCo synthetic tuxedo brush

Stirling SDM aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Up early and exercised, showered, then applied a little Erasmic as a pre-shave. The La Toja face-lathered beautifully, and I did a quick 1-2 pass shave, WTG on face and throat, then ATG on throat. Not BBS (though my cheeks feel like it), but the skin still feels smooth. The little Travel Tech made me think of the scene in North By Northwest where Cary Grant's Roger shaves with a baby razor in a public men's room -- but it does the job, as a Tech will. Verdict: 9.3.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Brush: Je&Co Tuxedo synthetic (Night Sky)
Razor: Fatip Open Comb Slant w/Fatip Nobile Tuxedo handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Red (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Luck Tiger Bay Rum

Very good shave from the FOCS this morning...user error...went a little light on one spot. I probably have another 10-15 shaves left with this soap so I'll be leaving it aside and using it more often to quicken its demise. It's very good soap. I'm not a huge fan of PAA's aftershaves, their scent changes radically on me after application, but their soaps are excellent...YMMV. In any case, I'll be replacing it with their Space Nog in a few weeks

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20201028.jpg

Top Bottom