What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

J.R. Torrey Co.
WK Vor V
Semogue 820
Miller Strop
Jasper Finish
Thayers
Clubman Pinaud
20201020_061239.jpg

wonderful shave on a Torrey Tuesday. my SIC powder landed last night for the Ark work as well as the new WK soap. wonderful smell......knew I should have ordered the AS splash. thanks to the WK team for sending extra Halloween goodies.

be well all.

camo

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Thank you!!

I was also thinking that i had a less than pleasant shave because i had only shaved yesterday. I mean maybe the skin needs a couple of days to heal or i should only go WTG when shaving daily.

I would say...if there's enough damage...let it heal up. I had to do it a while back...too much irritation so I took a day off. No big deal.

Happy shaves!

Razor: Razorock Mamba 53
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (5)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch Rasierseife Organic
Aftershave: Alum block

No nicks: 4.5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

1 Nick that refused to stop on rinse. No irritation. Close and smooth.

Rating: 9.75/10

Daily Shave: 20 October 2020

DSCF2296.JPG

Prep:
Dial Liquid Soap face wash
Razor:
WCS 84S
Soap:
Viking ‘uber’ lather using distilled water
Brush:
Omega 11126
Blade:
Gillette Nacet / Blade #3 / Shave #6
Passes:
2 (WTG & ATG) minimal buffing
Witch Hazel wipe down / Pinaud Clubman A/S / Viking Shave balm
Rating:
9.5 DFS+ Again a great shave with no nicks or weepers. Beginning to notice more stubble—perhaps indicating the current blade is wearing out. The Nacet blade seems to be a good one for the razor I am now using. The Viking ‘uber’ lather of three soap pucks is working quite well.

Razor: Blackland Blackbird sb
Blade: Treet Durasharp
Brush: Razorock 400
Soap: Palmolive Classic shave cream
Rating: 9.8

Took the top off of one of yesterday’s weepers but apart from that no nicks or irritation. A BBS shave again with the latest blade to be tried out in the Blackbird. As I was short of time this morning I whipped up a fast but good lather with Palmolive cream in the Stirling bowl.

36-hour beard

Gillette 1962 Slim/Personna Med Prep blade (2)

Erasmic soap in the red-lidded tub

APShaveCo synthetic tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Back on my regular T-Th-Sat routine: showered, added a little La Toja stick soap as a pre-shave, then face-lathered the Erasmic and applied the Gillette. Pass 1, WTG, setting 5; pass 2, ATG, setting 4; pass 3, XTG, setting 3, and took it very easy on the lower lip at settings 4 and 3. Result was very smooth, no irritation or nicks, near BBS. Verdict: 9.5.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Chiseled Face Bay Rum
Brush: Yaqi Red Marbleized tuxedo synthetic
Razor: Karve Brass SC (Plate B) w/Charcoal Goods Brass Torpedo handle
Blade: Kai SS (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

Amazing shave with a new Kai blade in the Karve! DFS/BBS. I purchased three soaps from Chiseled Face: Bay Rum, Trade Winds and Banana. I've had their Bay Rum splash before and I liked the scent, but found the menthol unpleasant. I did however like the scent enough to give their soap a try. Glad I did! A little helpful feedback from @jdp93 helped...thank you. I found Chiseled Face soap to be very good...lathered quickly and easily and produced an abundance of rich, slick lather. It provided good protection during the shave. No injuries. I am a Bay Rum nut...my wife is lukewarm on Bay Rum...depends on the Bay Rum. She liked the scent of this soap very much. She also liked Trade Winds. Banana...she was not fond of, but I like the scent of the Banana soap. Bootlegger's Bay Rum is a great match for this Bay Rum soap. She likes Bootlegger's thankfully.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20201020.jpg

Soap: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Razor: Wade and Butcher OC
Blade: Astra SS (1)
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Aftershave: Old Spice
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Not a fan of Astra blades, but haven't tried one in my Wade and Butcher yet. Modified it last night, got the blade aligned, and had it ready for this morning. Astra blades, for me, just don't feel smooth, and somehow I always end up nicking myself on the first pass, of which I NEVER do with any other blade. Of course I nicked myself on the first pass...of course....

I keep telling myself it's coincidental, but it happens every time.

I've had worse shaves with Astra blades though. I'll give the blade another go tomorrow morning. The aftershave sting did wake me up pretty good...

I will never love Astra blades, but in my Wade and Butcher, at least the blue pack will be usable somewhat.

7/10
I'm in your boat with Astra blades: both varieties. I don't get nicks from them but they are not smooth for me. However, I find the Astra SP to be better that the SS.

Razor: 1966 Gillette Slim Adjustable, set on 5 today
Blade: Czech Blades Tiger Platinum Stainless (5 and out)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Cella, red tub
Rating: 9.5

Morning shave today on two days of growth. Near BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes; no nicks or irritation, but a lot of pressure and buffing was needed to get the dulled blade to cut/scrape off the whiskers. It is the end of life for this blade.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, OCtober19th,2020

Razor:Gem Damaskeene open comb- MFG 1912-15, Excellent milder mid range, good daily driver. They got it right 108 yrs ago IMO.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) Still manufacturing, Remnants of A.S.R. Corp umbrella of different shaving Companies.
Soap: Tabac- excellent lather qualities with a clean mild flowery scent.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 plissoft 24mm- closest brush Imation of my Omega boar brush. Good brush for a scrub.
Pre shave:Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock American barber aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea.
Results: 9.5/ 10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem 1912 Damaskeene O.C with a Gem teflon coated blade!

GEMonday.Oct19th. 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
OCtober 20th, Tue, 2020

Razor: Valet auto-strop C1, Canadian Variant- Mfg 1920's NDC
Valet Auto-stop C 1, MFG 1920's- .011 original gap clearance to a .007 blade gap Henry,Jacques...jpg
, modified (1yr+ ago)blade gab from .011 to .007"thousands, it just made it so much smoother, the older blades might of not been as sharp as of todays because with.011"it was very aggressive I felt...
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) :001_wub: Very sharp, excellent longevity, predictable and smooth's out nicely.
Soap: Tabac- mild flowery clean scent with excellent lather qualities IMO.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm with black marble handle- excellent and favorite lather creator with cloud like tips. Hard to beat!
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups, WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS+ no irritation + no weepers =:a17:excellent shave with my modified gap blade Valet auto strop & modified Gem blade. Lots of modifications to make it work to my standards of a excellent shave it seems, great razor.

OCtober 20th, Tue, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Top Bottom