What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

I need to get this sotd post so @ouchyfoot know if I have binned this shark blade yet. The answer is...

NO!!!

Another +9.0 shave. No blood. Nothing but smooth face and no whiskers.

Day 7 or 8 I think on the blade.

I smell like a pine tree today with this scent. It's 35 degrees out so maybe that will be ok. Winter is coming and it's doom and gloom outside today.

They can't all be bangers, but this one sure was.

9.2/10

KM

PXL_20201020_113106872.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
OCtober 20th, Tue, 2020

Razor: Valet auto-strop C1, Canadian Variant- Mfg 1920's NDC
Valet Auto-stop C 1, MFG 1920's- .011 original gap clearance to a .007 blade gap Henry,Jacques...jpg's- .011 original gap clearance to a .007 blade gap Henry,Jacques...jpg
, modified (1yr+ ago)blade gab from .011 to .007"thousands, it just made it so much smoother, the older blades might of not been as sharp as of todays because with.011"it was very aggressive I felt...
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) :001_wub: Very sharp, excellent longevity, predictable and smooth's out nicely.
Soap: Tabac- mild flowery clean scent with excellent lather qualities IMO.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm with black marble handle- excellent and favorite lather creator with cloud like tips. Hard to beat!
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups, WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS+ no irritation + no weepers =:a17:excellent shave with my modified gap blade Valet auto strop & modified Gem blade. Lots of modifications to make it work to my standards of a excellent shave it seems, great razor.

OCtober 20th, Tue, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

That razor looks neat! You modified it?

Razor: Rockwell 6S (black)
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharpedge (Russian Yellow) (3)
Brush: Semogue 620
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Le Père Lucien - Rose de Pushkar
Aftershave: Fine: American Blend
Additional Care:
Taylor of Old Bond Street - Sandalwood Luxury Gel
5A780388-C93D-4EFC-A742-BD0226956680.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10
The Whole Shave Seemed to be Going Wrong From the Start...but ended up with a 10/10 two pass BBS shave?

This will be my third shave in my “gentle, healing, give my face a rest” stretch.
Note: I am primarily a bowl latherer and have not had good results face lathering with hard soaps so far.

An unfamiliar new soap and a brand new first time use unbroken Semogue 620 brush. I also tried a face lathering technique outlined by a knowledgeable member. I won’t mention the technique or member because I believe it has merit...just not with two untried products.

I still can’t figure out if I had too much or too little water, but I couldn’t get a lather going. In fact all I could manage was a transparent film on my face. No matter what I did, it just looked like my face was wet with water. I went ahead with the shave and my face stayed slick no matter how much I scrubbed away at problem areas. I was about to lather up (not a lather) for my third pass when I realized I didn’t need it and was already at a BBS.

The soap is high quality and smells wonderful. I just haven’t learned how to face lather with any of the hard soaps I’ve tried. This one is no different. I just can’t get a consistent lather. My bad.

In spite of being a new and unbroken boar, the 620 felt wonderful on my face. Soft and pliable. Can’t wait to find its qualities after break-in.

What I learned. If the soap is good, a thick face full of lather is just window dressing.
I'll bowl lather with this soap next time just to get more in tune with its lathering wants and needs.

Keep on Rockin’ in the Free World

Pre-shave:-
Imperial Leather

Bowl/Scuttle:- None
Br
ush:- Synthetic
Soap/Cream:- Cella Almond Cream
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Tech and Treet Carbon steel
Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

This Cella cream is excellent, it works like a shaving cream on the face but is quite firm, as a result it lasts a long time, this pot of Cella has lasted six months and is going strong

10/10.

2b.jpg

Fatip OC Mk2 Frankenrazor - George Jetson Special
Personna Med Prep (2)
Yaqi Purple Haze / Mew Brown brush
365 glycerin soap wash
Haslinger Schafmilch soap
Dickinson's witch hazel
RR American Barber splash

Clean, close shave; DFS+

Notes:
  • George Jetson Special = Fatip OC Mk2 base plate + Merkur 23c cap + WCS 84sf handle
  • Today's shave equipment was randomly chosen, do you want to play a game?

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: hot towel and Shave Secret
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock black #5
Razor: Muhle R41
Brush: Muhle synthetic
Soap: TBS maca root
Aftershave: alum, Thayers rose witch hazel, TBS maca root
3 pass: hot WTG, lukewarm XTG, cold ATG

Riding the cap. I bought this soap based on recommendations that it was slick. Yep.

Almost no burn from the alum but I had some unexpected abrasion on my chin.

Really close above the jawline but under the jawline was a little disappointing.

No tugging: 5
No nicks: 5
No irritation: 4.5
Closeness: 4
DFS

9.25/10

Last edited:
Pre-Shave: Warm water
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
Brush: Simpson T1(!) Synthetic
Razor: Merkur 38C (Barber Pole)
Blade: Crystal (Israeli Blue), Shave #2
Post-Shave: Alum block, cold water
After Shave: Proraso (the white stuff)

Back to outstanding shaves using the Israeli Blue. First time using the Simpson T1 (it's so widdle!). I liked how controllable the T1 was but the poor thing about got lost in my honkin'-big Midwestern mitts and 3-quart Anchor Hocking microwave-safe shave bowl. In the future I'll stick to the Simpson T3 "lather cannon" with its floor-mop brush head and tree-trunk handle.

Okay, so back the actual shave. Things were just great, super glide-y feel with no tugging or skipping or any such nonsense. In fact things were going soooo well what choice did I have but to "push it" and nick my chin? That's right: NO CHOICE! None!! So I did. Gawd. Happy now? I hope you're happy.

Overall Rating: 9.5 (leaving room for improvement).

PS: No, I don't actually use a three-quart shaving bowl. It's two-and-a-half.

20201019_092759.jpg

Razor: Gillette Goodwill #160
Blade: Gillette King C. Gillette Platinum
Brush: Supply Silvertip Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Essence of Scotland Malt N Myrtle
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating Ten
20201019_080428.jpg

Soap: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Razor: Wade and Butcher OC
Blade: Astra SS (2)
Brush: Omega 10077
Aftershave: Pinaud VIBR
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Woke up with a zit. It may be a little too early in the season for using a balm.

Decent shave, although not as comfortable as I would like. Not the biggest fan of Astra blades but trying one in my W&B open comb. Yesterdays shave was worse than today. I do not find it necessary to remove the blade from this razor just yet, since todays shave was in fact an improvement over yesterday. I will give it another shot tomorrow morning.

NICE burn from the aftershave. Granted, that's not entirely a testament to good technique/equipment haha. Really loving VIBR, it just keeps smelling better and better the more I use it. I know it's not a top tier bay rum scent, so I guess I will add a better bay rum to the Christmas list!

8/10

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Tuesday morning shave

Razor: Dorko
Brush: Boar
Soap: Musgo cream

A proper shave this morning. Went to Europe despite travel restrictions. German steel, Italian brush, cream from Portugal and after shave splash from France. Sophisto!

0040CFCF-1A66-4222-BAD4-6D7113D6AA33.jpeg

9/10

Last edited:
Razor: Gem MMOC.
Blade: Fresh Personna Gem PTFE.
Brush: Maiden voyage of a Omega 10066.
Soap: Cella EEP.
AS: Proraso Red splash.
EDT: Proraso Wood & Spice.

A full face and head shave today. Better than yesterday, but not great. I'm thinking the MMOC and me just don't get along. I would rate it a 6.5/10.

Here's a photo. I'm playing a bit with the editing features on my Iphone, so enjoy the terribleness that is my picture. :biggrin1:
IMG_1573.jpg

Top Bottom