What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

I'm late posting today, we had thunderstorms this morning and of course our internet provider went down. All back to normal now.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Baker Street Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Timesless .68 SB with Crown Handle
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Cool
Bowl: The CaYuen Workshop Medium Damascus Textured Wet Shaving Lathering Bowl
Brush: Trotter Handicrafts NE Ice Handle AP Shave Co 28mm Titanium UHD Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm & Seaforth's Black Watch AS
Rating: 10/10 A comfortable efficient 3 pass BBS shave with no touch ups, weepers, cuts or irritation. I did have two red spots, no blood, on upper lip, but hit with an Alum Stick for prevention. A very good shave!

Wednesday's shave -

Razor: Parker 87R
Blade: Voskhod (3)
Pre-shave: Vintage Colgate barber shave soap
Lather: Cremo

Today's shave reinforced to me that I don't need a very expensive razor to get a very high quality shave. The Parker TTO head works really well for me, and I like the 87R's shorter handle, weight, and design. Overall, it's a razor I really enjoy using.

Razor: 'Merica
Blade: Lord Super Chrome (2)
Brush: Silvertip Badger in Antler handle
Soap: B&M Muir(e) Wood
Results: Smoooth!

Note: I've been using a sample size of Muir(e) Wood and have been loving it the past two weeks. Just finished the sample with today's shave but used the full jar for the photo. I only just opened the jar for the first time and Holy Moly! The Blackberry is strong with this one! I've had the sample for over a year before getting into it recently and the blackberry was just a background note you had to look for. It'll be interesting to see how the new jar changes over time now that I've opened it.
1716400583599.png

20240521_075928.jpg

Razor: Wolfman WR2 SS 1.05, Timeless Ti Crown handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Paladin PK-47 Disco
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Zingari Man Rogue
Aftershave: Zingari Man Rogue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Ten

Pre Shave:Warm water, TOBS Pre-Shave Gel with a drop of Jojoba oil
Razor:Henson AL13 v2 mild
Blade:Bolzano Superinox (2)
# Days Growth:2
Soap/Cream:Crowne & Crane Wild Fig & Evergreen
Brush:Simpson's Duke 2 Best Badger
Post Shave:Cold water, Thayers, Jack Black Post-shave Cooling Gel
Weepers:0
Nicks/cuts:0
Irritation:a little on neck
Sharpness:9
Comfort:8
Face:BBS
Neck:DFS+

Better bowl-lathering today. Blade didn't feel great but worked well enough.

IMG_8917.jpg

Razorock Lupo127 with a Gilette Silver Blue (1)
Sawdust Creation Studios "Grand Effects" brush
Razorock Black Bay shaving cream soap
Lustray Blue Spice After Shave
Nivea Sensitive Balm

Haven't shaved for almost a week after getting some bad skin irritation at the base of my neck (oddly enough, the Lupo 58 was the cause). The Lupo 127 arrived today, along with the Razorock hollow handle (clean the threads with a q-tip and alcohol, very nasty junk inside). I gave it a slight hand polish before use and it mowed the hair down with each swipe. I wanted to try something similar in spec to the Yates EH plate, which is still in queue. This is an awesome razor! I have been contemplating what score to give it. The soap was an after thought. In order to get free shipping, I had to get something to push the order over $60. It performs like an average soap, but the smell is like a fallen pine tree with some funk. Being a $5 special, I can't really complain I guess. I find the razor a bit smoother and more efficient than the Aylswoth Apex SS. I noticed a little drag with the Apex, but not this one. This one is a little above the Apex, but below the Drakkant Ti. Score today is a 9.77/10
20240522_150527.jpg
20240522_150738.jpg
20240522_150755.jpg
20240522_150817.jpg

💎 💎 💎 SOTD - “Unknown Gems" Theme Week - May 20th-26th, 2024 💎 💎 💎

May 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Hello friends

Cloudy afternoon, however very pleasant. Perfect for returning to MdC Agrumes, a soap that, in addition to the easy and abundant lather, brings a splendid aroma of lemon, grapefruit and bergamot. The Semogue SOC Boar seems to love the MdC. Greencult 2.0 with a GSB (2) were perfect. I finished with Pinaud Citrus Musk.

We had a visit from an old friend, Johnny Hartman.

Rating: 10

Have a nice evening and great shaves!
❤️🪒

21933FC6-AA94-4620-B216-CE3BBDA7D7AB.jpeg
IMG_7098.jpeg

View attachment 1850100A close-up pic from the side. It is difficult to get a decent pic as the head isn't symmetrical. Further investigation will follow when I get a bit more time.
That looks like a lot of blade exposure. Also, wonder if there is a defect in the razor, would typically expect a lot more blade bend to position the exposed part of the blade at a better cutting angle.

P.S. Have a look at the link below, you are not the only one having issues with these overly aggressive razors.

Last edited:
Razor: Henkotsu
Hone: Dan’s Black Ark
Brush: Omega 81054 Ivory & clear acrylic
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere
Aftershave: Proraso Red Splash

Yesterday, I broke out my first Straight Razor for the shave (GENCO Henry’s XX), so today I used the first Kamisori that I ever got.

The Henkotsu is a whisker magic eraser. So much fun to use.

Nice lather, but that’s expected with Martin de Candre. Even, I have trouble messing up a lather with this soap. Love how it smells and performs.

I’m really enjoying my Proraso Splashes.

An excellent shave. The large Henkotsu is great with the ATG pass, zero flex and smooth. 10/10.
IMG_2971.jpeg

View attachment 1850262
Proraso Blue
Timeless Aluminum
Wizmet Super Iridium
AP shave Co
PAA Classico Bay Rum
I recently got this Timeless Aluminum Razor. I know a lot of guys dint like Aluminum razors here, but I am getting great shaves for it. Cheers!!
I agree with you on the Timeless Aluminum razor. I consider it a hidden gem. Lightweight, efficient, and Timeless Razor quality.

SOTD: 05/21/2024

Razor: Blackland ERA
Blade: AccuForge , 1st use
Brush: Century #3 w/ Maggards 22mm Boar
Preshave: Hot Water Splash
Soap: Noble Otter Neon Sun Croap
Aftershave: Noble Otter Neon Sun Aftershave

Tried the ERA again today. I do like it with the level 3 plate but would like to find a 4 and 5 plate. The 3 is great on cheeks, jawline and sides of my neck. But the middle grows sideways towards my ears and after 2 passes I needed a third but chose against it because I did not want the irritation and honestly I don’t chase BBS anyway.

Neon Sun is fun to use. Lathers up fast, lots of slickness, and the label and scent make me smile. I went to high school in the late 80’s so this one is right up my alley.

View attachment 1850036

- Shared from My Shave Den for iOS
That’s a great looking brush! Enjoy.

SOTD: 05/22/2024

Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Personna Lab Blue, (2)
Brush: Chisel & Hound Strata TnS Quarter Moon Synthetic
Preshave: Hot Water Splash
Soap: Catie’s Bubbles 322 Croap
Aftershave: Catie’s Bubbles 322 Aftershave

On 3/22/23 I left the hospital after being told I am in Heart failure. That I had a left bundle branch block and that my infraction rate was on 15%. They sent me home wearing a defibrillator vest and told me I should get my affairs in order. I was at the time only 50 years old. Fast forward to 8/22/23 they told me my infraction rate did not improve and that I need a Biventricular ICD. In other words a pacemaker with a 3rd lead that will kick my heart back into rhythm if need be. Well, I’ve had it since 9/5/23 it’s never shocked me and my infraction rate is up to 35%. So now I use CB 322 on the 22nd of the month as a reminder to myself to don’t forget where I was and where I am now.

As for the shave, there’s really not much to say. The Blackbird with the med prep blade is pretty automatic and everyone knows how well CB performs.

216EB6DD-D33F-4595-B346-19286030E222.jpeg

- Shared from My Shave Den for iOS

Yaqi Slant, Maggard MR11 handle, Tabac soap and aftershave. Proraso alum bar,.
The razor was still scary, but reasonably well behaved today. For US$ 2.61 delivered to New Zealand, I'm not complaining. I now see mastering this razor as a do-able challenge. Only one weeper, and a better than SAS finish, so I'll score the shave an 8/10.

20240523_092059.jpg

Make no mistake, the head is aggressive - like a dog snarling and baring it's teeth - but that is how Yaqi has designed and marketed it... there is no pretense that it is a mild shaver! The blade exposure looks wild, but it is entirely usable. I'm only on day 2 with it, so I'm still learning good technique, but I have already experienced the efficiency on offer. There is some chatter, and heaps of audible feedback, but a 2 pass shave is more than adequately smooth.

Top Bottom