What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9/10
Soap: Barrister and Mann Reserve Spice
Brush: No name synthetic
Razor: Timeless SS .68 scalloped head and base w/Blackland Dart handle
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (German) (1)
AS: WSP Mahogany

Good shave. Being careful around the irritation on my lower neck. Didn't want to agitate it anymore than it already is...so...one pass. Otherwise, good shave.

Happy shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20200713.jpg

Mond shave. border.jpg

Monday’s Shave

Today’s shave is with GD Mallard RC Soap. This time I am using my Paladin Lotus brush. The razor is the Timeless SS .68 razor with a Personna Lab blade for the 14th shave. This is one great combo. The aftershave is Thayers Rose Petal WH and Clubman. The fragrance was Yves Saint Laurent.

A perfect 10/10 shave.

DON'T BE CARELESS..

So today I grabbed a new to me GEM Junior and loaded a fresh coated blade. And after feeling the skin where I started I should have known this thing was cutting close and I didn't. I was careless and as I finished on the front of my chin I grabbed a chunk of skin. Of course then your attention is on technique and the rest of the shave was pretty danged nice. I left the Adams apple be, well you know why.

The rest of the shave was again above average. Just scalped myself. Very disappointing. Tomorrow will be better as I have learned the more time I put on one of these blades the better the shave. #4 is typically the money shave. I need to not be lazy.

7.3/10

KM

IMG_20200713_063527.jpg

Monday Menthol Lunchtime Shave
Home again and after enjoying Friday’s lunchtime shave decided another was in order.

Pre: Shower, Facial scrub & wash
Razor: Merkur Futur
Blade: Gillette 7 o’clock super stainless (6)
Brush: Gentleman’s Face Care Club - synthetic
Soap: Fine Snake Bite 🐍
Post: Fine Snake Bite Aftershave Lotion and LEA Sensitive Aftershave Balm

6F96A995-DC2B-4DC6-BC3A-AB55260B7CC2.jpeg

Like a few have already said today being careful pays dividends. I opted for setting #6 on the Futur and it felt very sharp. Happy to report no bites from the Futur or the soap/aftershave splash. I think what I was most impressed with for this shave was how well the 7 o’ clock blade performed on its sixth outing. Up until a few weeks ago I hadn’t shaved with one for possibly a year.

So like The Beautiful South song, I’ll give this shave a Perfect

DON'T BE CARELESS..

So today I grabbed a new to me GEM Junior and loaded a fresh coated blade. And after feeling the skin where I started I should have known this thing was cutting close and I didn't. I was careless and as I finished on the front of my chin I grabbed a chunk of skin. Of course then your attention is on technique and the rest of the shave was pretty danged nice. I left the Adams apple be, well you know why.

The rest of the shave was again above average. Just scalped myself. Very disappointing. Tomorrow will be better as I have learned the more time I put on one of these blades the better the shave. #4 is typically the money shave. I need to not be lazy.

7.3/10

KM

View attachment 1125037

always had a fondness for the baton handle.

the juniors still command some respect or.......you know what results.

camo

Razor: 1973 Black Handle SuperSpeed
Blade: Wilkinson Sword - German (1)
Brush: Ever Ready 100T with synthetic knot
Soap: MLSW "The Kraken"
Aftershave: Stirling "Barbershop"
Rating: 9/10 - Apparently today is the day for re-learning that you need to be careful. Was my first time with my birth year/quarter razor. It did fine, but at one point my hand was wet and the razor slipped and got my chin pretty good. Not going to fault the razor for that one. Full review in the DE Razors sub-forum.

my skull and face shaving today

RazoRock German Slant

KAI

WARS cream made by hand, as usual, without a brush, which I use very rarely.

AS: Cucumber fluid

a good shave, but I can't get a very good shave with this razor, even with KAI
But overall positive, I estimate a good razor for a quick shave at work at 7 no more ... even though I tried with all available blades on the market...😖
IMG_20200713_163242~2.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, July 13th 2020- This 1st Generation Featherweight has to be one of the best razors to shave with using a Gem SS PTFE blade IMO. Seldom get irritation or weepers and it always delivers in my sweet spot range of finish.
With a New Gem blade you can get a silky smooth shave usually, might seem like hype but mostly the truth, don't judge a razor by it looks but by it's results.

Razor: Gem Featherweight(1oz) 1st generation-Mfg 1st gen 1950-52, 2nd gen 1952-54-- Nice milder mid range razor.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) Great blade as in very sharp, longevity, cost per 100pc, very predictable wear IMO.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm synthetic - It has become one of my favorites to use, good lather, painting, soft tips.
Soap: Razorock Lavender- Excellent scent + Excellent lather in all aspects. They are going to discontinue producing it.
Pre Shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my Gem 1st gen Featherweight.

MMMonday, July 13th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Ever Ready 1914 Shovelhead
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (5)
Brush: FS 28mm G4 Synthetic
Lather: Stirling: Pharaoh’s Dreamsicle
Aftershave: Stirling Iced Pineapple (Splash)
Additional Care:
Clubman: Pinauds Finest Powder
D2F7998B-56B1-4386-B4A0-42E3DF9225A0.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10 BBS
Ever Steady Ever Ready!
So far I’ve had five shaves with four different vintage SE razors on this GEM blade, and this Ever Ready razor has been the best so far. Lots of noisy feedback, but an efficient close shave with no post shave discomfort. To be fair to the other GEM razors, all these shaves have been first time affairs so I’m getting used to the vintage SE technique, and all the lathers have been different. I believe that the other GEM razor shaves were all with Italian creams which by nature are not as slick as soaps.
This is the first time I’ve ever used a blade more than three times so I was expecting the worst, but was surprised when the shave went smoothly.
The Stirling Iced Pineapple AS is certainly a nice way to start a hot day.

Sounds like you’re about four shaves behind me on the GEM learning curve. It only gets better.🌈

I got my first shave with a SE in about the middle of December last year. I have tired about every blade available for them and found that the coated Person a blade is my favorite. Along with most folks. And that it is best around shave #4. If I use a 1912 I can get 6 or 7 good shaves out of a blade.

KM

Razor: Kampfe Bros. Star H-R14B Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM Carbon Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 9.5
PSX_20200712_081500.jpg

Razor: Kampfe Bros. Star H-R14B Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM Carbon Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 9.5
View attachment 1125171

nice handle on that one !!!!!!

camo

Sunday July 12th

Birthday shave with new Paladin! Had gone over a week, full bearded mug needed an effortless shave... So I went to ol reliable.

Razor: Imperial Extra Hollow
Brush: Paladin 28mm Beehive
Strop: TM Heirloom HH
Pre: Barber Bond serum
Soap: Began with ToOBS... Needed a tad more so I dabbed a puck of Eufros

Rating: solid 9

MVIMG_20200713_143118.jpg

Top Bottom