What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD. July 31st, 2021

Razor: Yaqi 50mm SE Excalibur, Mfg 2021, tame mid range IMO, great razor, light weight, enjoyable razor.
Blade: Kai Protouch 50mm, sharp & smooth, interesting blade concept that works.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum sage & cedarwood, nice scent, excellent lather properties.
Brush: Yaqi high mountain silvertip 24mm 2 band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow soft tips, nice scrubber, excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood :001_wub: + a dollop of Nivea balm with 2 drops of HA mixed.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur + Kai protouch.

Brush collage July 31st 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Lupo.95,GWS(2),PAA Cavendish,Kent BK4 silvertip(second use had the brush over a year it was all over when i got my Chubby1 super)Thayers,Prorasso aftershave,Nivea sensitive,Prorasso green pre/post.Got BBS but was a bit rough should have changed the blade for some reason it felt a bit off but i didn't.Thought i'd use my Kent as all i seem to use nowadays is a rotation of 3 Simpsons.This brush is definitely a painter.I like a bit of backbone so i guess it will be another year before it gets another run out.It's a nice painter though if you like that kind of thing. BBS but not the most comfortable. 7.5/10 Take care happy shaves everyone.
20210731_162844[1].jpg

@LMcC another awesome custom label! Your best yet, and that's saying something.

A nice relaxing shave session with my Muhle R41 today:
tempImagec9CELn.jpg

Brush: PAA Green Ray -- such a soft brush loads a dry, hard soap slowly, but it lathered very well once it did
Lather: Tabac
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1) -- felt tuggy at first but I pressed on and things went fine
Razor: Muhle R41 -- I said relaxing, although I did still have to mind my P's and Q's . . .
Splash: Executive Man
Balm: Nivea Cooling

I did a hot towel over a preshave lather of Iced Pineapple to get things started. I avoided ATG on the chin and upper lip again and was rewarded with another good, comfortable shave. Only SAS on the chin and below it but DFS+ everywhere else. One tiny weeper right below the nose. Rating: 9.3/10. Happy weekend to all.

@LMcC another awesome custom label! Your best yet, and that's saying something.

A nice relaxing shave session with my Muhle R41 today:
View attachment 1304651

Brush: PAA Green Ray -- such a soft brush loads a dry, hard soap slowly, but it lathered very well once it did
Lather: Tabac
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1) -- felt tuggy at first but I pressed on and things went fine
Razor: Muhle R41 -- I said relaxing, although I did still have to mind my P's and Q's . . .
Splash: Executive Man
Balm: Nivea Cooling

I did a hot towel over a preshave lather of Iced Pineapple to get things started. I avoided ATG on the chin and upper lip again and was rewarded with another good, comfortable shave. Only SAS on the chin and below it but DFS+ everywhere else. One tiny weeper right below the nose. Rating: 9.3/10. Happy weekend to all.

Aww, why thank you!

20210730_083815.jpg

Razor: Gillette The New Long Comb, Common Bar
Blade: The Blade (Personna) Stainless Steel
Brush: Simpson Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter Noir et Vanille
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.

Saturday late morning shave, there wasn't much to shave after yesterday's great shave, so a quick one-pass WTG effort, 9/10, no irritation, no weepers, clean and quick:

Pre-shave: shower
Razors: Occam's Razor- two-dot head- fine shave today
Blade: Feather Pro AC (4)- sharp and smooth
Brush: Vulfix 374 faux horn silvertip- small, soft, and sweet
Soap: Free Reign Farm Cowboy- first soap I saw in the cupboard, works fine
Post-shave: cold rinse, Barbasol Brisk AS, felt like some menthol today

Have a wonderful day!

PXL_20210731_180638868.jpg

Razor: Merkur Progress, circa 2013, before the molds were redesigned, set on 3.5
Blade: US Accutec Personna "lab blue" in white plain paper wrapper with laser etching on blade, from 2021 (2)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic, medium size
Soap: Cella, in the red tub
Rating: 9.75

Today's shave on 3 days of growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, and no irritation. Three small nicks on the chin, even after dialing the razor down to 3 for this area.

After several Tabac shaves, I broke out the Cella after not using it for a few months. It had turned a little dark in color over this period, but didn't smell bad and lathered just fine. That said, it lost to Tabac in a shaveoff because of a little less slickness.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
How did you like the soap?
Really liked it! It really has no scent, which threw me off at first as all my soaps are scented. First impression was performance is top notch. Gobs of creamy slick lather, nice face feel user friendly. It’s a big old puck, lots of surface area to create lather and rock hard. My intention was to hold off getting more soap until I 3017 something…but I’m weak. Also pleasantly pleased!

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Merkur super(1)
Brush: Caisson Shaving 24 mm synthetic
Face lathered
Pre-Shave: Cremo daily face wash
Soap: Caisson Shaving Code Four
Aftershave: Alum block, Nivea cooling AS balm
Rating 9/10

First time shaving with the 34C and I can see why people recommend it to new shavers.. smooth, mild, reasonably forgiving. I even did a full ATG with next to no irritation.
PXL_20210801_022524557.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210731_185056~2.jpg

Razor: Barbasol Floating Head
Blade: Silver Star (4)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: RazoRock Tuscan Oud
Fragrance: Milton Lloyd Colour Me Oud

Superb shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Sun 1st SR SOTD
Soap Stirling Lemon Chill
Brush Zenith 28mm Scrubby B14 Boar
Razor Henkels & Friodur 472
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel Lemon Chill + HA + Reuzel Wood & Spice.
Consistently good lather from Stirling soaps and this was no exception...nicely creamy, slick, and coooold!
This would be the 4th shave with this razor with a jnat edge but the 2nd after the pasted balsa strop. It was a good enjoyable 3+1passes for a better result of dfs to ccs instead of sas. The edge felt smooth and was able to comfortably cut more efficiently. Aftershaves were fantastic! Rating 9.6/10
20210730_211050.jpg
20210801_120802.jpg

Sunday morning.

Vintage Gong (Solingen) 6/8 round point straight razor
Vie Long white horse / boar mix brush
Arko stick
Arko “Gold Power” aftershave

I have some modern German razors, so the absence of one in the Vintage section was starting to look like a gap. This seemed a nice way to fill that. It looked a bit rough when it arrived, but it cleaned up nicely (as far as I was willing to take it without rubbing off any etching), and has taken a good edge.

I thought I’d give a passing nod to “Arko August” on the soaps thread, but with around thirty soaps on the go at the moment Arko probably won’t come round again this month - unless I contrive it. The aftershave is a strange mixture of various different aftershave-type smells and it comes in a plastic dispenser like shower soap rather than in a bottle, but it does the job and for £3.50 it’ll do.

I'll give it a "9" today.

7EF67CE5-0C65-4744-A7A5-7DD699E6F5C1.jpeg

Razor: GEM MMOC
Blade: GEM PTFE (8)
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Aftershave: Stirling Electric Sheep

Good morning! Today is my fifth use of this brush, and it is really starting to do the thing. Face lathered Electric Sheep, and the brush was very soft, made excellent lather very quickly, and now it’s even starting to leave it on my face! Enough lather for my normal 2 passes, and probably more. The MMOC felt almost as familiar as my DE razors, and got a close comfortable shave. DFS+ Finished with Hyaluronic Acid and Electric Sheep AS.

10/10

Anyone know the best source for more GEM blades?

Top Bottom