What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I need to work more on my "Gillette slide" SR technique to shave the hollow of my neck under the jaw line. I can do it without making my lather pink but my results are not yet consistent. Maybe by my 500th SR shave that comes up near the end of May, I have it.

I have a short beard and that is where I shave, under the jaw line. It's not the easiest. Stretching is definitely needed. And I need to look up at the ceiling in order to really get the skin stretched flat. So I cannot see where I am shaving. I have to go by feel.

I learned that, once lapped correctly, the hybrid side of both of my Les Lat stones give fantastic edges.

And that when I think I'm done lapping, I'm not really done lapping ...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I know we have a similar thread in the general shaving section but I felt there was a need for one particularly using SR's (that includes shavette style razors).

SR shavers normally have a longer learning curve. I know I do. Even after over 150 SR shaves, I'm still learning with every shave.
For the past three years, I had never stropped on linen between balsa and leather. A few days ago I did and it seemed the edge felt just as sharp but smoother. I’m not sure if this is true or my imagination but will test this over the next few months with different razors. I don’t change razors as frequently as I used to so it will take a while.

I learned that, once lapped correctly, the hybrid side of both of my Les Lat stones give fantastic edges.

And that when I think I'm done lapping, I'm not really done lapping ...
I just got a Les Lat, I am getting good results so far but always interested in going further. Would you mind sharing your lapping sequence you follow for your Les Lat. Many thanks

lapping sequence you follow for your Les Lat.

A disclaimer first ... I have no real idea what I'm doing.

That said, I first lap and chamfer on a Dia-Flat 95 which is about 325 grit. Then 400 W/D. And finally 600 W/D. The Diamond plate cuts well, the W/D grits seem to take forever. I'm also learning that some go higher than 600, though I have not to date.

I will also add that on both my LL I eventually went back and redid the W/D progression, not having been satisfied that my hours of lapping on the first round got me where I should be. R hybrid side is stubborn stuff! There was a noticable improvement indicating that I probably stopped too early the first time (and maybe the second time as well).

A disclaimer first ... I have no real idea what I'm doing.

That said, I first lap and chamfer on a Dia-Flat 95 which is about 325 grit. Then 400 W/D. And finally 600 W/D. The Diamond plate cuts well, the W/D grits seem to take forever. I'm also learning that some go higher than 600, though I have not to date.

I will also add that on both my LL I eventually went back and redid the W/D progression, not having been satisfied that my hours of lapping on the first round got me where I should be. R hybrid side is stubborn stuff! There was a noticable improvement indicating that I probably stopped too early the first time (and maybe the second time as well).
Thanks, yes it's tough to get the hybrid side where I want it to be, but getting there with a similar progression to yours. I was considering taking it up to maybe 2000 W/D, when I next get some sandpaper in, just for experimentation purposes.

Kind of a minor learning moment for me today. I learned my first pass shave is adequate enough when planning on a two or more pass shave. Our morning schedule was messed up today and I realized after my first pass that I did not have time for a second one. I had to rinse and get out of the bathroom. If I had known I was only doing the one pass, I would have been touching up along the way.

I still had a very close even shave that would have been adequate for anything (except maybe a date night). No patches and I got my trouble spots very well. I started my SR journey a year ago and this is an unexpected (mini) milestone for me...

Tonight's shave with the Gratian (about 1790-1810) taught me to mind my index finger because it has no shoulder. It also reminded me that for these old razors, one can lay the spine on the skin on both WTG and ATG passes and still have a comfortable shave.

Today I leaned to be extremely careful - I know this sounds like teaching your granny to suck eggs but today I touched my ear with the razor and it drew blood. This is the second time I have done this - so I must be a slow learner.

I just touched it with the tip! Didn't feel anything, no pain, no cutting, nothing.

cheers
Andrew

Top Bottom