What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Fingers have bones in them to stop straight razors from slicing right through.

I learnt this this afternoon while doing a little maintenance on one of my SR's. Not too deep as it was on the top of my finger. Nothing a bandaid couldn't take care of.

Fingers have bones in them to stop straight razors from slicing right through.

I learnt this this afternoon while doing a little maintenance on one of my SR's. Not too deep as it was on the top of my finger. Nothing a bandaid couldn't take care of.
Ai, ai, ai. Hope it heals quickly. I have a little cut on the index fingertip of my right hand (not shaving related), and that's a bad spot. It touches everything, and a band-aid makes typing a little more difficult (can't feel the keys). It's been a couple days, so I can remove the band-aid, and it's not tender.

I will throw something completely different into the mix, just to confuse you even more. When I got a Feather SS, I could barely get 4 good shaves out of a fresh blade. The other guys on the forum were talking about 20 plus per blade and I couldn't figure out why. I don't think my beard is any tougher that most, so I thought my prep and lather may not be up to par. Long story short, it turned out to be my shaving angle was the problem. The SS sort of encourages you to shave at a steeper angle, but it doesn't really need it. Started shaving like I do with my straights, with the spine barely of my face, and all of a sudden the issue disappeared. My lesson was that when you start with a sharp blade, you can very quickly spoil it with a too steep shaving angle.
Try the feather pro super. This is wider, which allows for a more shallow angle.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I still need to work on my technique for shaving the hollows of my neck port and starboard. The whiskers there grow from throat to neck. I use a Gillette slide motion with my SR when shaving there. Sometimes I get a smooth finish, other times it's not as good.

One of the beauties of SR shaving is that there is always something to learn and/or improve upon.

My rostfrei Friodur shaves better than my Ralph Aust. I was thinking I just wasn’t getting a good edge on my Aust, but I hone both with the same stones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feather Professional Super Blade in my Feather SS started tugging today only after 9 shaves of 3 passes each. Previous Pro Super blade gave me 16 smooth shaves without any tugging. So, retiring the blade only after 9 shaves because today's shave is not a very close BBS as I am accustomed to get from my SS.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
If you think that your lather might be starting to dry out, it is. Reapply!

Slowly but surely, I'm getting this full hollow Ralf Aust under control. I have a line on my face today, but not a bad one. I'm wondering what the near wedge will feel like when I go back to that.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
A consistent result. That’s what I’m getting using a variety of SR’s. Wedge, full hollow, half, quarter and thin frame back. Doesn’t matter much what I’m using, the end result is the same, close and comfortable.

Today's shave - I decided to go with minimum pressure, just letting the blade glide rather than trying to force a cut. The razor was sharp and I got a great shave just barely applying any pressure. My goal is to work towards that effortless glide. Should I not be able to do it, that will be a signal to put that razor back on the stone.

Top Bottom