What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

Today I learned that the Feather SS kamisori is not the “blood stick” some people say. A light touch, take your time and a great shave was had.
I think I may really like this little razor time will tell[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SS, as far as shavettes or more correctly replaceable blade razors go, is a lot more forgiving than most. Great shaves, it can still bite if you are not careful.

The SS, as far as shavettes or more correctly replaceable blade razors go, is a lot more forgiving than most. Great shaves, it can still bite if you are not careful.

I really liked it. The workmanship is of course flawless and it’s a really nice feeling blade.
I have been thinking about a Kamisori (a real one) for some time and picked this up new in a trade. I wouldn’t call it a way to explore SR shaving though like some do, it’s a creature of it’s own but it may have promoted me to start looking seriously for a nice Kamisori [emoji41] and it may have become my travel razor in one shave.
I won’t say I was over cautious, I didn’t loose blood or have any irritation but it’s easy enough to see how. It does have a different angle of course and I like the straight handle gives new options I’ll continue to see as I play with it. Another tool in the toolbox. Or are they toys in the attic at this point [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does have a different angle of course
Common mistake everyone makes, me included. The lip encourages a sharper shaving angle, but it doesn't need it. Try to go flatter on your face, it may feel like it's not shaving, but it is. Flatter is better, more skin friendly, less likely to bite you, and what's more, you will get a lot more shaves from a blade before needing to replace it.

Next thing you will be shaving with a straight, a walk in the park compared to a shavette, as long as you have a quality edge.

Beware, you are on the edge of the rabbit hole, enjoy the ride!

after shaving this morn and browsing the big site.........

I learned that @rbscebu needs to buy a couple.bottles of this. apparently someone is marketing a growth accelerator (which doesn't involve scat afterall)

Screenshot_20210507-162805_eBay.jpg

ponder on that one!

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
after shaving this morn and browsing the big site.........

I learned that @rbscebu needs to buy a couple.bottles of this. apparently someone is marketing a growth accelerator (which doesn't involve scat afterall)

View attachment 1263394

ponder on that one!

camo
Been there, done that and bought a t-shirt. It doesn't increase the rate of beard growth, it just increases the hair thickness and reduces hair loss. I'll stick with the tried and proven goat manure paste overnight face mask and fermented salami after-shave balm to increase my rate of beard growth.

Not really SR specific but after shaving with creams for two weeks and switching back to a soap, I realized
that I was adding too much water to my creams. I had a nice yogurt-like dense lather this morning while
the last couple of weeks the lather has been a little on the thin side.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When checking out of the Marriott hotel in Sydney, I mistakenly left my strop hanging behind the bedroom door. I didn't realise this until the next morning in Brisbane.

I immediately contacted the Marriott who had found my strop and they offered to post it to me. As I was only to be in Brisbane for a couple of days, I asked them to post it to my accommodation in Far North Queensland.

Since leaving Sydney, I have been shaving with a non-stropped SR. Maintenance has been restricted to diamond pasted hanging balsa strop only. Yesterday my strop arrived from Sydney.

This morning I leaned how much better it is to shave with a clean leather stropped SR.

I have learned my lesson and will always check that I pack my strop before checkout.

all jokes aside the Mastro Livi hand strop works to a degree.

I'd use it if desistute in a strange land.

same reason I'd travel with the ocean jasper if traveling out of country. a couple pieces of coarse sandpaper and I can salvage a lot of problems. between that and the fine side.

camo

camo

When checking out of the Marriott hotel in Sydney, I mistakenly left my strop hanging behind the bedroom door. I didn't realise this until the next morning in Brisbane.

I immediately contacted the Marriott who had found my strop and they offered to post it to me. As I was only to be in Brisbane for a couple of days, I asked them to post it to my accommodation in Far North Queensland.

Since leaving Sydney, I have been shaving with a non-stropped SR. Maintenance has been restricted to diamond pasted hanging balsa strop only. Yesterday my strop arrived from Sydney.

This morning I leaned how much better it is to shave with a clean leather stropped SR.

I have learned my lesson and will always check that I pack my strop before checkout.
Do you travel with a regular sized strop or is there a smaller travel version?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Do you travel with a regular sized strop or is there a smaller travel version?
This my travel strop:
I have glued natural chamois to the denim part as I believe that cotton/linen is a little course on my very refined edges. When traveling away for a week or more, I also include a 0.1um diamond pasted balsa strop for daily maintenance.
IMG_20201121_135546.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For some unknown reason I forgot to wear my spectacles when shaving this morning. I now look like Norman Gunston - a.k.a. the "Little Aussie Bleeder".

Lesson learnt.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
The shaves are ridiculously fast and effortless when sporting some chin-stache stubble/beard type thing. That’s what I’ve got going on currently and not shaving around lips, chin and nose sure simplifies things. I kinda like it, although lathering needs modifications.

For some unknown reason I forgot to wear my spectacles when shaving this morning. I now look like Norman Gunston - a.k.a. the "Little Aussie Bleeder".

Lesson learnt.

Hi rbscebu - Norman Gunstan brings back a lot of memories! Hope you didn't use toilet paper to stop the bleeding - if I have learnt one thing from the whole wet shaving movement, it's to use alum or styptic pencils.

Would you believe that I don't even have a styptic pencil? Just use alum. I seem to get way more blood from DE razors than the straights. Haven't tried a shavette yet - maybe one day...

cheers
Andrew

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Hi rbscebu - Norman Gunstan brings back a lot of memories! Hope you didn't use toilet paper to stop the bleeding - if I have learnt one thing from the whole wet shaving movement, it's to use alum or styptic pencils.

Would you believe that I don't even have a styptic pencil? Just use alum. I seem to get way more blood from DE razors than the straights. Haven't tried a shavette yet - maybe one day...

cheers
Andrew
I should have taken a photo. Five bits of toilet paper spread around my face.

If you're short on time and you're still new to the SR, just use a safety razor today and go back to the straight next time. Got bit twice today.

Top Bottom