What's new

What did you learn from your safety razor shave today?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I learned the Feather Professional blades weren't the issue with my previous shave. I thought as much but confirmed it with a stellar shave a few hours ago... before dinner. The La Faulx in stainless steel is the perfect travel razor for me... A cinch to maintain and a joy to use. No sacrifice there. No nicks, scrapes or weepers.... just a wonderful, smooth, comfortable yet close shave.

I
I learned the Feather Professional blades weren't the issue with my previous shave. I thought as much but confirmed it with a stellar shave a few hours ago... before dinner. The La Faulx in stainless steel is the perfect travel razor for me... A cinch to maintain and a joy to use. No sacrifice there. No nicks, scrapes or weepers.... just a wonderful, smooth, comfortable yet close shave.
I like that combination very much Phoenixkh.👍🏻😊💈……..
IMG_0985.jpeg

Learned that using the Gillette Slim on a higher setting (7) gave me a better shave than a lower setting with no weepers. Also learned that the blade I thought was done after three uses yesterday worked quite well today after reading a thread about that (can't find it at the moment). Skin felt a little irritated (but no visible signs) afterwards but I was about to give up on the Slim for my beard :thumbsup:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Going one further and saying mild tends to be preferred, but mild that gets the blade as flat/shallow* as possible is preferred.

* = blade and its edge relative to my skin independent of whether the razor’s handle is parallel/perpendicular to anything.

The razor does make a difference. Yes, I can "get it done" with almost any DE safety razor with sufficient technique and practice but finding my perfect razor is possible. The results are not placebo and I have no shame admitting I was a bit skeptical (that most people just justify their purchases after the fact) but I'm now convinced that is not always the case and a better razor can give you a better shave.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The razor does make a difference. Yes, I can "get it done" with almost any DE safety razor with sufficient technique and practice but finding my perfect razor is possible. The results are not placebo and I have no shame admitting I was a bit skeptical (that most people just justify their purchases after the fact) but I'm now convinced that is not always the case and a better razor can give you a better shave.
I know a lot of people say the razor doesn’t matter but that hasn’t been my experience either.

Of course, we have to develop sound technique. That is a given, but some razors I’ve used put a smile on my face……others? Not so much.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Going two further and saying mild tends to be preferred, but mild that gets the blade as flat/shallow* as possible is preferred. And light is very nice as well. Less than 2.4 ounces – with that being the upper bound – highly preferred

* = blade and its edge relative to my skin independent of whether the razor’s handle is parallel/perpendicular to anything.

I learned the the R41 is indeed a great tool and one of a kind.

I’d forgotten to use it for the past few months but I was quickly reminded why I haven’t sold it.

BBS is a rare thing for me and my beard type, even with 4 passes.

The R41 paired with an Indian Astra delivered that in 3 wonderful passes without a hint of irritation.

Top Bottom