What's new

What did you learn from your safety razor shave today?

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Today I learned I will be ordering 100 Perma Sharps for my next blade acquisition. First time to use one this morning and I am very pleased. Just as sharp as Feathers, with a bit more smoothness……YMMV of course!
That's another one on my list to try soon.

I learned that even after 10 years of straight razor shaving, I am still capable of spearing myself. Add scar #236 to the count on my face. I was just caught up in the moment of an otherwise fantastic shave with my 1/4 wedge and lost my way. The tip of the razor put the brakes on the daydream.

I learned that the Ikon Tek has no efficiency if you try to ride the cap. And also that if you shave with it at a neutral or steep angle, it's got zero smoothness. I discovered that it's got a safety bar that exists solely for looks but has no function at all.
Of course YMMV!
I love my Ikon Tek but, granted, calling it a safety bar may be a bit optimistic. I don't have any trouble finding the best angle though, as you can actually hear it when it's working right.

It's possibly the closest thing to just bolting a DE blade straight onto the handle. 😂

It's possibly the closest thing to just bolting a DE blade straight onto the handle. 😂
It's definitely ridiculously efficient for sure. But I can't deal with the roughness. I've tried multiple angles and nothing. I've got a Yaqi slant agressive and that one is even more agressive than the Tek. By a long mile!
It's actually scary to use. But it's got some smoothness when it shaves.

No, do not order more Voskhod blades. Here's the thing, you went through a 5-pack right? And you used each blade several times right? And you are telling us, that you never got a good shave with those blades, even after going through the entire pack? The answer is, Voskhod blades are not for you man! If it were me, I wouldn't waste my money buying more of those if I were you.

My suggestion is to try the blades, that for me, and many other's on B&B, are the smoothest shaving blades I have ever used in any DE razor. I 100% recommend Wizamet Super Irridum blades. They are sharp blades, but they are also extremely smooth blades, because they don't have a rough edge coating on them. So far I have used them in my Timeless TI95, Gillette 1959 Fatboy, and my Henson AL13 razors, and they have excelled in performance in all three of those razors.

proxy.php
Actually I've had my eye on those and I've heard really good things about them. They're supposed to be either the same or very similar to the Polsilver blades, right? They're high on my list, for sure!

I'm probably not going to get anymore Voskhod blades for a while at least, but I do like giving things lots of chances and different situations, or in this case I guess different razors. I really don't have a lot of razors to choose from at the moment, so maybe at some point in the future I'll have more, and maybe one of them will click with that particular blade. I've noticed that the Feather blades that I have do really poorly and give me bad skin irritation in the Fatboy, but they work incredibly well in my PAA three piece and King C. Gillette, both of which are really mild. Unfortunately, the Voskhod does not work well in any of those three razors.

@marcjohn86 , I’m sorry the Voskhod blades don’t seem to be working for you. And happy the Dorco ST-300s are doing their bit. I’d expect both of them to work even better for you in the future.
Thanks, I used the Voskhod today for a second time and it was better, still ended up getting nicked, I just don't think they're right for my face. I've used sharper blades like the Feather which I've had much more pleasant experiences with, so I'm just not sure what's up with it.

If our faces, beards, razors, blades, and shaving techniques were all the same this would indeed be a very boring site….
With all that said, some blades are going to suit us better than others and my Voskhod blades work fine for me. I will add however that my second and third shave seem to be more smooth than the first.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That pre-shave might be more a hindrance than a help.
Pre-shaves are not created equal.... I've had bad luck with the one I made... great luck with three others.

In order of purchase: Baume.be, Grooming Department, PAA Cube 2.0/Tube 2.0.

All three made a huge difference for me. But as always... YMMV.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I continue to learn my own face. You'd think, after 5 months, I'd have this figured out.... but I have a couple problem areas, mostly on both sides of my chin. Yesterday, I got both sides very smooth. What would normally be a cross the grain stroke is really an against the grain. I could feel it with my left hand as I shaved.

Same thing with my neck. My second pass is now from my adam's apple toward my ear for an actual against the grain pass, up at a slight angle.

I continue to learn my own face. You'd think, after 5 months, I'd have this figured out.... but I have a couple problem areas, mostly on both sides of my chin. Yesterday, I got both sides very smooth. What would normally be a cross the grain stroke is really an against the grain. I could feel it with my left hand as I shaved.

Same thing with my neck. My second pass is now from my adam's apple toward my ear for an actual against the grain pass, up at a slight angle.
Now that 2nd pass ATG you have is a tricky one for sure!👍😊💈

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Especially considering that he's using wide (AC) blades! :eek6:

My guess is that Kim's face and neck topography is considerably different to ours, Butch. :wink2:
I did have to get accustomed to where in the world that blade was because it was wider. There are times when the whole blade surface is not in contact with the skin. Isn't that normal?

Wait, I'm sorry.... Normal.. .what in the world is that? <eg>

Don't worry. I won't be making any shaving videos.

I learned that my new Timeless .78mm blade gap open comb is nothing to take for granted and certainly not a razor you can start slinging around your face. A slow, but confident, and light touch is required….At least for my mug.
I could really feel the blade on this one even more than on my Timeless Ti .95mm open comb. A very nice razor indeed!

Attachments

• B124DF3C-DB9C-4051-ABF2-FF21DB4392E8.jpeg
    B124DF3C-DB9C-4051-ABF2-FF21DB4392E8.jpeg
    639.2 KB · Views: 8
  • D75599C3-4E13-449B-83A5-C650EAB872C9.jpeg
    D75599C3-4E13-449B-83A5-C650EAB872C9.jpeg
    571.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 6566AD3A-9FCD-4C1B-B090-45D623B816D2.jpeg
    6566AD3A-9FCD-4C1B-B090-45D623B816D2.jpeg
    882.3 KB · Views: 10
I learned in today’s shave that my Treet Black beauty carbon blade can give me a very comfortable and efficient shave during my first shave……The last time I tried as second shave earlier this week was not as comfortable, (I wrote it off to users error), but will look forward to tomorrows second shave to see if I can get the same shave as today, or a repeat from earlier. AGAIN, referring to my mug as I know some of you guys have reported getting several pleasant shaves.

Attachments

• 6A5279F8-243C-4260-AFEF-17BB8994C9AB.jpeg
    6A5279F8-243C-4260-AFEF-17BB8994C9AB.jpeg
    749.1 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom