What's new

What did you learn from your safety razor shave today?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I haven't tried my Perma-Sharp blades yet. I'm sort of sticking with a few tried and true blades I've used so far: Nacet, Personna Comfort Coated, Wizamet, 7 O'clock Black or Kai. I only have a few King C Gillette blades left and I didn't buy many of the 7 O'clock blades... I have plenty of the others. I have a few individual tucks of some others I'll end up trying as time goes on.

I sure hope Perma-Sharps work for me... I have several hundred. ;)

Today, I learned or confirmed what I knew previously... the Blutt BR-1 1.2 is a very smooth, efficient razor even with 7 days stubble. The first WTG pass did much better than I had hoped and the XTG and ATG finished things up well... no touch-ups needed. This with a Wizamet.

Today I “was reminded” how much I enjoy the Voskhod blades. Have not used them in many months so I reached for it this morning along with my .84 OC Gamechanger and worked like a charm….
I also learned of the passing of the great Viking coach, Bud Grant. May you RIP sir.
1678637521142.png

Why? The corners on all DE blades are muted

Not sure. I suppose I might be digging in a bit too much? Or, maybe a bit flabbier skin there?

All I can say is that I go horizontally through there with all other razors but the Lupo complains. 🤷‍♂️

I'll just add that I really don't mind, just thought it was worth mentioning. Still absolutely love my Lupo!

Not sure. I suppose I might be digging in a bit too much? Or, maybe a bit flabbier skin there?

All I can say is that I go horizontally through there with all other razors but the Lupo complains. 🤷‍♂️

I'll just add that I really don't mind, just thought it was worth mentioning. Still absolutely love my Lupo!
The Lupo guard and cap (unlike most DE razors) stop in line with the end of the blade, so folk can get closer to noses, ears, etc.

My guess is that you're using too much pressure (but my guesses are often wrong :wink2:).

The Lupo guard and cap (unlike most DE razors) stop in line with the end of the blade, so folk can get closer to noses, ears, etc.

My guess is that you're using too much pressure (but my guesses are often wrong :wink2:).

Thanks for your input, Cal. That could very well be it. Perhaps other razors are letting me get away with my nonsense. ;)

For the record, the manouverability is one of the things I like most about this head.

I'll reassess and try to adjust pressure accordingly. Alternatively, I might just start going vertically through there with all my razors. 😝

Today I did my first face lathering and it was my best shave ever. I had been struggling to find a suitable lathering bowl from the kitchen inventory of Pampered Chef glassware and Ikea cereal bowls. I just did not want to spend more money on a bowl quest so I watched a face lathering video and tried it. I discovered:

1. I don't waste as much cream/soap by face lathering
2. I get a better face prep
3. No stinging with the alum rub, no weepers, no cuts

I am committed to face lathering. I cannot keep my hands off my face, just admiring the nice job it did. For further context, I used a Nacet (3) blade with a Gillette Tech.

It's time to stop trying different blades. Today was Personna Blue Labs, they're good but not any better than the hundreds of Wizamets, Nacets and Perma-Sharps I have. I'll keep some of the others around and use them every now and then just for the entertainment value but I won't be buying any more blades any time soon.
I will however keep trying every dang aftershave that crosses my path!:thumbup:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm sort of lucky.... silver lining in the clouds.... My skin can't take soap scents and I don't like aftershaves.. Whew.... two rabbit holes I can avoid easily.

I can't believe I'm posting this... because it's never worked out well in the past... but I seem to have settled into a few great razors, brushes and unscented soaps. I have quite a number of excellent blades, both DE and AC. I'll keep a watch out for the Wolfman WR4 release and reviews.. And I do have a second Athena specified on the list so both our sons will inherit one of them....

I forgot to add.... maybe two Zenith Manchurian brushes if and when the funds become available.

Today's lesson was being reminded that two good friends who are excellent company individually may not get on when paired together.

Looking at you RR Lupo .95 and Personna Med Prep. 😏

Today's lesson was two-fold:

1) After many years of trying alternatives, Bic Chrome Platinum is still absolutely the best blade for my face that I've yet encountered. No matter how many samples of other brands I go through (..and sometimes enjoy) the CP remains unchallenged at the top.

2) When using MdC, the amount of lather that can be produced from just 10-15 seconds of loading is well and truly absurd. I'm never gonna finish this tub.

Top Bottom