What's new

What did you learn from your safety razor shave today?

I learned more about maintaining a light touch with my Timeless .38 Bronze. Managed a good, though not BBS, shave with no blood and no major burn. Still had quite a bit of sting from the aftershave, so I have a ways to go in learning to use this device.
What a beautiful razor that Timeless .38 Bronze is!!!…..But she will certainly nip at you in a heartbeat if you take your mind off the task.👍😊💈

I learned that I was using the wrong method (for me) to shave ATG below my jawline and neck. It was like an epiphany for a moment.

I had seen a lot of guys saying “don’t stretch” and had tried that with limited success.

“Don’t stretch” in my case was beyond that, it meant literally tilt the head down, trying to make the skin softer and puffed. Bam, ATG smoothness and without discomfort.

The lesson here was that keeping my head straight and “not stretching” was already stretching the skin beyond the limit (I have a pretty defined and low fat jawline).

The opposite end of the spectrum was the answer.
I don't know the reason behind not stretching the skin (I guess to avoid ingrown hairs). I've heard it too and I tried not to stretch. And I've done the soft puffing. The soft puffing worked sometimes, but not consistently. I just couldn't nail down the technique. Now I stretch and puff, and my shaves have never been better.

First the jawline, I stretch the skin that's below the jawline upward by pulling up on the cheek where it's now above the jawbone. I can hit it NtoS and EtoW/WtoE and I'm mostly done. At cleanup, I do a minor stretch up near the chin and buff lightly.

My most aggravating area is along the right side of my esophagus. I puff it out with brute force. Tilting my head back and poking my chin forward, I use the base of the palm of my hand pressed against the opposite or left side of my esophagus. I do this both for the NtoS and StoN pass on my neck. I also do this on my cleanup with a light upward diagonal buff toward the esophagus. It seems to work every time.

I have another patch on the left side of my neck that I haven't got a specific technique for yet. I just hit if from different directions until it's gone. One day....

Anyway, this is what I do. Obviously it only works for me. But it's an example of some other weird things that can be done to get to those problem areas.

Today was an almost perfect shave and I learned that with the right blade - which the Eddison seems to be so far, but I have other blades to test - the Timeless Ti95 SC is as effective as my R41, but triple the comfort and smoothness. I had one tiniest of weepers around my Adam's apple simply because I was flinging the razor around like it was a Gillette Tech and carelessly forgot about the .95 blade gap. But other than that - an exquisite shave!

Today was an almost perfect shave and I learned that with the right blade - which the Eddison seems to be so far, but I have other blades to test - the Timeless Ti95 SC is as effective as my R41, but triple the comfort and smoothness. I had one tiniest of weepers around my Adam's apple simply because I was flinging the razor around like it was a Gillette Tech and carelessly forgot about the .95 blade gap. But other than that - an exquisite shave!
Guido, I am pleased to see how much you are enjoying the Timeless Ti95. A solid performer indeed! 👍😊💈🥂

Last night’s shave was my final experiment before announcing my conclusion that: in regard to vintage Gillette 3 pc. razors, I personally get noticeably better AND more comfortable shaves with “full support” vs. “fulcrum shoulder” models.

I will make a separate, more detailed post (where I will also solicit opinions), but for this thread, (and speaking only for my face):

Old Type > New Deluxe
New SC > New LC
Post-war Tech > Pre/Early-war Tech

Not even close for my face.

I is NOT that I prefer mild over agressive: I much prefer the more aggressive Old Types and NEWs over the milder Techs, for example. It’s just that when comparing apples to apples, the models with a curved base plate that matches the curve of the top cap give me a much closer, more comfortable, and less irritated shave, than those models where the base plate is flat with a sharp shoulder that pinches the blade.

I’m not sensitive enough to notice “blade chatter” or “flex”, I don’t think. But clearly blade support or rigidity matters to my face and/or shaving style.

Last edited:
I learned that I need some additional practice with my new Merkur Progress razor…..
1). The right combinations with the adjustable knob.
2). Getting familiar with the bulky razor head, (bulky to me anyway).
90FC11EF-5EC5-4D85-ADF1-BE2E64F98206.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I learned that I can use Kai blades after all.... and that my Overlander might not end up for sale. I got a great shave with that combination yesterday morning. I confirmed that I love Zenith brushes... all the Zenith boar brushes I've tried so far have been excellent. And the Zenith Manchurian badger punches above its weight class.

RE_Dec8thShave.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A regular routine with prep to technique over time will offer the best shave results. When trying new products your regular known products will confirm whether it meets your bench mark or exceeds it. Technique should not vary a lot for when trying how many passes works IMO. For myself through trial & error 2 passes (WTG + ATG + pickups works the best for myself and I try not to stray from this simple procedure!)

The Slim ate less in the factory. It’s hangry.
Well you would assume it’s able to adjust itself to the circumstances, but apparently not.

As for my shave yesterday I learned that Fatips can deal with just about any blade. And I learned that honing and stropping a blade might not be the best idea I put into action lately.

Guido

Well you would assume it’s able to adjust itself to the circumstances, but apparently not.

As for my shave yesterday I learned that Fatips can deal with just about any blade. And I learned that honing and stropping a blade might not be the best idea I put into action lately.

Guido
Guido, l missed your honing and stropping exhibition…….It did not involve a safety blade did it? Tell me it was a straight.

What a beautiful razor that Timeless .38 Bronze is!!!…..But she will certainly nip at you in a heartbeat if you take your mind off the task.👍😊💈
There was one on BST last month. A beauty. I have yet to experience the other blade gaps, but I do find it interesting to read that the lower blade gaps appear to be more aggressive than the .95 that is currently my top tier razor.

Guido

There was one on BST last month. A beauty. I have yet to experience the other blade gaps, but I do find it interesting to read that the lower blade gaps appear to be more aggressive than the .95 that is currently my top tier razor.

Guido
I agree…Not sure if it’s the weight of the razor or perhaps the actual blade exposure, but the Timeless bronze .38 is anything but mild and the .78 even more so.

Top Bottom