What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

That lathering up a soap in the morning when I'm pressed for time takes the fun out of it. Lathering, shaving itself, and then the cleanup, all while the clock is ticking -- not a good idea. My shave was excellent, but my prep and cleanup were rushed. Creams during the week and soaps for the weekend, that's my plan.
I never have time in the morning for anything but getting ready for work, enjoying a cup of coffee and having a moment for my wife and I to chat for a few minutes. I love shaving at night before bed. :)

Just had my best shave ever! It was a cold shave which is what I do regularly, but I tried a Voskhod blade for the first time and all I can say is WOW! This is the only blade I have tried that allows me to comfortably go against the grain! I am definitely sold on this awesome blade!

Had a rough shave a couple of days ago with the R41 and a new Astra SP. Used that same blade, taken from the R41 and put into my Merkur 34C this morning and had a very pleasant shave, not as close as I would liked, but very smooth and comfortable.

I learned that Astra Superior Platinum blades are perfect for the Timeless Bronze Open Comb razor. They are an excellent balance between comfort and closeness. If I really want to go at it with this razor, then Gillette Silver Blues.

Broke out the Merkur 34C for a full 3-pass shave today...the first time I've used it for a full shave in about 15 years. Have the day off so I knew I could take my time. I learned that, for most weekday shaves, probably going to stick with Harry's cartridges, which have worked very well for me. I got a really nice shave, but it took about 30 minutes.

Interesting.... Harry's carts gave me such a poor, uncomfortable shave that they were contributing factor taking me back to DE. Just goes to show how YMMV is such a true statement.

Interesting.... Harry's carts gave me such a poor, uncomfortable shave that they were contributing factor taking me back to DE. Just goes to show how YMMV is such a true statement.

It took me a little while to get used to Harry's. I was initially attracted by the price (as opposed to other cartridge razors) and the aesthetics. I like their packaging and the fact that the handles were very simple, clean, and attractive. Wasn't crazy after my first few shaves. But I've come around, and I feel like I get a very comfortable shave with them.

I learned that Astra Superior Platinum blades are perfect for the Timeless Bronze Open Comb razor. They are an excellent balance between comfort and closeness. If I really want to go at it with this razor, then Gillette Silver Blues.

I can second this, currently using an Astra SP in mine which I only purchased recently. Going to try a Gillette 7 o’clock next!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shick injector (L model) is a great thing. My first shave with it and I`m super happy with results.

ps.Thanks to one gentleman from the forum who send it to me.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sometimes you are not happy with a product and shelf it for a another run down the road and that is what I did with Proraso green in the tub and I had a great shave with it. I might even put it back into the soap rotation. I have changed my pre-shave lotion formula and that must of helped me with the different soaps.:a17:

Voskhod blade in my Gillette Slim (setting 4) gives a perfect, irritation free shave but I just have to trust the angle. I cannot feel the blade enough to know I’m there. I may need a slightly less smooth blade.

I learned two things. first, Cremo shaving cream in the tub isn't all that hot. It seems thin even when I add a dollop of slippery shave gel. I'm not talking about the stuff in the tube, I like to mix that when I'm using shave soap. The other thing I discovered was that scrubbing in no substitute for a third pass.

Top Bottom