What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

While I intentionally load my brush with clockwise & counter clockwise rotations, I hadn't realized until this morning I face lather clockwise on my right side, and counter clockwise on the left.
If you were in Australia it would of course be the reverse...:001_rolle (unless you were left-handed...)

That my new Maggard M1 is not nearly as forgiving as my Feather Popular. Ripping my face up pretty good as I work on getting my skills up to the next level.

The Otto Roth open comb (Gillette New style) is an awesome shaver.
It handles most blades wonderfully and gives super close yet gentle shaves,
I am quite impressed with it!

the franken NEW long comb with the fat Tech handle and Tech cap that I got on the bay months ago for around $20 never lets me down...seriously, if I was going to replate one of vintage razors...this would be the one.

I learned that I could have passed on the The Grooming Company 25mm synthetic brush ... for me, the Edwin Jagger 23mm is definitely better.

(Actually yesterday... Haven't shaved yet this morning). ;-)
I learned why some things just end up at the rear of the cabinet...
Today I used Kyoku for Men Sake Infused Shave Cream for my shave. I haven't used it since switching from cartridge shaving. And probably used it for a week or so before switching to Jack Black, which preferred.
A few lessons learned:
1) Kyoku cream, though a lovely pearl blue does not lather at all. I tried both bowl and face lathering with a little water and ended with a mess. Started from scratch and painted it on my face with a damp badger brush then waited the prescribed 2 minutes per instructions.
2) This cream is a gooey mess. It did not rinse well from the brush or razor. (Took 20 minutes to clean up the razor and get the brush rinsed cleanly). I was using a Gillette Fatboy and a badger brush. (This morning the brush could still use a washing out).
3) I now remember why I stopped using this cream. It leaves a chalky mess and does not rinse well. Using a brush did not enhance the shave IMO.
Some say they don't prefer the smell, (I actually like it but to each his own).
4) In spite of the challenges, I actually had a nice close two pass WTG shave. I'm unsure if this was the result of the Polsilver blade or if the goo helped.
Tomorrow, I’ll use something more normal and decide. (Though I may use a fresh blade since I'm unsure how well this one cleaned up). The cream is either going back in the cabinet or to the bin.

I found that I got closer,comforable shave with less effort using one shim in my razor. Merkur 23C, Derby Extra, VDH boar, William/VDH +a little glycerin (grated,melted and mixed)

that my new Cadet 44 open comb requires a very light touch...but that will be rewarded with a great shave

Also, unrefined shea butter may be the most fantastic thing to reduce minor irritation ever.

Two things:

I really haven't been adding as much water as I could to my lathers, taking them beyond just the dense yogurt phase to the truly slick phase. I feel like NOW I'm going to finally start making real lathers.

And, three and a half months in, having tried a bunch of razors, including vintage Gillettes, the R41, and an ATT slant, I finally tried the DE89/R89 head (by way of an R106). I learned that I quite like it! Not as mild to me as the 34C, which is a good thing.

that my new Cadet 44 open comb requires a very light touch...but that will be rewarded with a great shave

Also, unrefined shea butter may be the most fantastic thing to reduce minor irritation ever.

I have the equivalent RazoRock Little Bastone open comb and notice that any pressure will leave a burn. It's a very efficient razor if treated with the utmost respect and care.

I learned that the Feather AS-D2 + Feather blades = BBS shave pretty much every time. I use 3 passes with barely any touch up...absolutely zero irritation or redness.

I learned a feather razor blade and a gillette Fatboy set on 5 is just about perfect for me until it's not and then things go down hill quickly in the 4th shave.

Again, that Gillette TTO heads feel smoother to me than Tech heads.

That getting a close shave on my neck is incredibly angle dependent. It's also not completely intuitive. If I have the angle right, I can do 1 pass and get a nice, close shave. If I don't have the angle right, 2 passes leaves me with only a socially acceptable shave that feels significantly more "stubbly".

I finally learned that the neck irritation I was getting every so often wasn't caused by a "bad shave", but was due to wearing a certain sweater which rubbed me the wrong way, literally.
Goodbye sweater.

Top Bottom