What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

If you haven't already, give this method a shot to break your brush in fast Larry.
I used it with my Omega 10015, pure magic. :thumbup:

I have been doing something similar with all my new boar or badger brushes. The only other step I add (don't know why or if it is needed) is I usually add a couple cycles with hair shampoo leaving it soak for a couple hours, rinse and repeat. Works for me.

As much as I love my Maggards V3A, it is NOT to used as my daily... I had a REALLY nice close shave yesterday using a Merkur 34C with an ASTRA SP (my best yet), but after a rather rough day, decided to treat myself to a little hot lather. Shoulda stuck with yesterdays set up... some SAS areas and some small weepers :bored:

second time going with my red tip for my 4-5 day rotation on one blade of my 40 blade pack. same as last time, very mild shave, close, not BBS. i'm thinking that tomorrow, i won't tighten the head as much, leave a little more blade exposed. i do love the feel of this razor while shaving.

there's always a plan B

I learned that no matter how long it is between uses in my rotation, I always get excited when I use my Lord L6. It never lets me down.

second time going with my red tip for my 4-5 day rotation on one blade of my 40 blade pack. same as last time, very mild shave, close, not BBS. i'm thinking that tomorrow, i won't tighten the head as much, leave a little more blade exposed. i do love the feel of this razor while shaving.
:w00t: I see trouble ahead.

And an update when it's done please. :wink2:

Haven't had the chance to use them yet, but just look at them. The brushes have bloomed already! Many thanks for the tip. These are all very recent acquisitions, so they were all stiff and straight (even the Ever-Ready). I'll never worry about a break-in period again!
:thumbup:

$IMG_2034.jpg

Haven't had the chance to use them yet, but just look at them. The brushes have bloomed already! Many thanks for the tip. These are all very recent acquisitions, so they were all stiff and straight (even the Ever-Ready). I'll never worry about a break-in period again!
:thumbup:
Ha! I was just looking at your first pic in the What are you unpacking/opening today... thread.

When you said "brushes arrived yesterday" I thought "that's never straight out of the box, I bet Larry's used the three magic steps." At that moment your quote for the above post flashed up.

Great stuff Larry. :biggrin1:

I learned I should give Merkur blades a second look. I bought Merkur blades with my 1st Merkur razor when I went back to DE shaving about ten years ago. I used them - or thought I had - before going on to other blades. 1 have been working my way through a 100-pack of GSB when my wife found a lonely Merkur in the bottom of my drawer. It gave very smooth shaves free of any weepers or nicks. Perhaps I should reconsider them.

Using leftover lather from yesterdays shave works...lol. Not as cushiony and looks pretty thin, but slick as snot and you can get a good shave out of it. Not prefered but in a pinch....

Finally made a point of pulling out the Slim to give it a shot. This a razor I've had since I was in elementary school, that was ultimately the reason I got into de, but I've never ended up using because I got swept up by the open comb aesthetic. Loaded an Astra SP, set it to 9, & got a decent, bloodless shave. Not as smooth as the Feather/New Deluxe combo I've been using lately, but not bad. I think if I had stuck with my initial plan of just picking up a couple of soaps, a brush, & a blade sampler, I could have been happy with just the Slim.

Top Bottom