What's new

What did you hone today?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
:scared:Poor guy.
Got this not so great looking kiridashi from Amazon :) Man it arrived really sharp, it sliced through the tough hardened plastic handle grips of the snowblower like butter. Needed refreshing so I did some DN slurry on this suita and brought it back to life. Only downside of this suita is it's size. At 265mm length it was a pain to lap, couldn't use the mudroom sink, doesnt fit into stone holder etc.

View attachment 1049694
Love the Kawa on those counter tops.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1-5-20.Bismarck.Off-ConvexCoti&DCA.640.JPG

Shave test pending. Hope it passes, but I'm not confident in this edge.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
ConvexCoticule&DCA&redTanifuji.640.1-8-20..JPG

Convex Coti & Double Convex Arkansas 8x3. My Red Tanifuji.

Also these:

Bismarck.OffConvexedCoticule&DCA.480.1-8-20.JPG8-7-19.Kinfolks#1.Face.BevelSet.480.JPG

The Bismarck was shave tested; very nice. I had honed it recently but decided without a shave test that the edge wasn't good enough. The third razor is my Kinfolks #1 (#1 because I have another, #2).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
IMG_20200116_135955.jpg

33 Gold Dollars, honed yesterday and this morning. A 92, a W62, and the rest 66, with 10 of them de-horned like the one on the lapping film. I still need to hit them with the balsa progression but they are shave ready as is.

I put this 6/8 Trenton Round point through its paces today. Reset bevel and honed a progression of 1k,4K,8k and 12k. Finished up with a Balsa progression of .50, .25 and .1 microns and finally a good clean linen strop and then leather. Should be good to go.
CD86A02B-234E-49BF-89D9-99F4C6AD6881.jpeg

Got a chance to work on my new (to me) Torrey Gibraltar and a Frederick Reynolds FBU.

IMG_20200117_214635.jpg

The FR I honed previously and it was an utter failure in the shave test. Thought it was just a touch up on the toe, but after a billion laps I figured I should just start fresh.

Set the bevel on both razors (Norton 1k), then ran a synthetic 4k, 8k, 12k progression. Finished both on .50, .25, and .10 diamond pasted balsa. Treetopping beautifully and we shall see what we shall see tomorrow and Sunday...

Up next, two Rolls blades and three GEM wedge blades. Hopefully on Monday... My goodness, I love honing.

Well, after doing the straights on Friday, I got to the SE wedge blades today. 2x Rolls, 3x GEM.
Same progression but no balsa finish. That's 7 blades, bevel to finish, this weekend.
IMG_20200119_225432.jpg

Pictured:
(Partially visible at the top are my soaking Nortons; 220/1k and 4k/8k.)
Left to right:
Thiers Issard block strop
Naniwa 12k with Rolls blade and stone holder
(Top to bottom) Rolls blade (assembled), Rolls blade guard, GEM wedge
20x lighted loupe

A nos shumate for someone I know on an ozuku and I also took a kitchen beater henckels knife across my turkish oilstone to bring the edge back to life.

Attachments

• 20200120_092504.jpg
    20200120_092504.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
A52A4AD6-8D5A-42E7-8A0F-D9024A1BCA2A.jpeg

Dovo Palisander on an Arkansas Grey from Jonathon Coe. Curious stone. Kind of like a coticule...but not.
Little if any resemblance to a novaculite Arkansas stone.
I like it.....

Top Bottom