What's new

What did you hone today?

Skärmklipp.JPG
This hone confuses me with a stellar edge on the Jernbolaget to bad or mediocre edges on Heljestrand razors.

Lol, could be! I think that maybe you’re confused because the images and descriptions aren’t consistent with a frown being high relative to the rest of the bevel. If you assume that a frown is low relative to the rest of the bevel, the images and descriptions should make more sense.

Yeah,I think one of you are talking 'low' relative to the spine, and the other is thinking relative to the cutting edge.

With the line down the middle it kind of looks like a Rozsutec stone. I think I have seen all grey ones but I am not 100% sure.
Thanks for the tip, rozsutec was knew for me.
Have you seen any grey from out of space also? :)
Are you a stone collector and or honer? Guess there are a lot of grey hone and confusing alike often.

Its not the hone its the steel. One doesn't like the stone.
:) I was afraid it was the honer.

The Johan Engstrom was tugging a bit when I brought it back into my rotation (loaned the Wade & Butcher Frameback out), so it had a dance with the Naniwa 12k followed by the balsa progression. Seems much improved, but we shall see...
IMG_20191215_153347-01.jpeg

I also took the rest of the rotation to the 0.1u balsa for weekly maintenance. Only 5 of 7 pictured since Mondays are GEMMondays and I used the Universal Lama Intera shavette one day last week (Shark blade).
IMG_20191215_153748-01.jpeg

Bottom to top:
Wade & Butcher, FBU
Greaves and Sons, near wedge
Rigarazor, 1/4 hollow (near wedge?)
WM. Greaves and Sons FBU (full hollow)
Johan Engstrom Frameback

I just got a Suehiro 20K. Previously I was finishing on a Shapton 16K and on some Agates.
Setting the bevel took forever as the blade had a serious ding to take out. I ended up spending about 5 hours on that blade to clean it up and hone it.

Honed.JPG

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hibbard Spencer, Bartlett & Co.SolidComfort.Face.640.JPG

Been working on this German razor for a while. Today it received about a hundred round trips on the finishing side of the Double Convex Arkansas 8x3. I'm trying to max it out on the sharpness meter.

Happy shaves,

Jim

A not great thai henckels on a charnley forest. Edge is scary sharp but for how long, idk..

Attachments

• 20191217_172111.jpg
    20191217_172111.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hibbard Spencer, Bartlett & Co.SolidComfort.German.12-20-19.JPG

It may be maxed out. Hibbard Spencer, Bartlett & Co. Solid Comfort. German. The photo is supposed to show how the blade looks like the Torrey 136 blade.

Happy shaves,

Jim

So I have gotten decent edges from this unknown green monster, but tried the Atoma slurry since it is really hard and doesn’t slurry easily. Wow what a difference. No diluting finished on slurry.
BC42657F-B9CF-45AE-9367-092B287C7D9D.jpeg

I refreshed my gold plated Koraat on a Naniwa SS 8k and then my Thurigian, but then I did something new, I stropped on a strop with diamond emulsion/paste. Wow that gave whole another level of smoothness and keenness to the edge.

Top Bottom