What's new

Bleckmann's Magnetic 7/8 full progression

Received and honed my Bleckmann's Magnetic 7/8 today.
Bleckmann_before.jpg

Edge after a quick strop, as received.

Bleck@1K.jpg

After Suehiro 1K

Bleck@3K.jpg

After Suehiro 3K

Bleck@8K.jpg

After Shapton 8K

Bleck@12K.jpg

After Naniwa SS 12K

Bleck@Coti.jpg

After coticule

2022-12-22 17.04.37.jpg

The result? A very smooth and comfortable shave. As this is only the second time I have put a razor though a full progression I am pleased it turned out OK, and hope to improve as I go on. Any tips are welcome!

Yup, your edges will get better the more you hone.

There is a lot of smutch on the edge. Try jointing the edge before and after the 1k, just a light stroke and before the 12k to get a straight edge then just bring the bevels back to meeting.

Stropping on linen between stones will also help clean of flashing at the edge, so you are honing on clean steel.

Try shaving off the 12k, then add apiece of tape an put a coticule micro bevel, 5-6 laps on a clean stone.

Congrats on working thru to a quality edge. 👍🏼
Looking at the pic of the 1K edge, you might consider some more time there. Seems like there’s some more sharp to be had.
The pic of the coticule following the 12k looks rough but can’t argue with results. I enjoy a good coticule edge and I don’t have a microscope so my edges may look the same for all I know. Have you shaved off the 12k?

I think I'd have jointed the edge a couple of times before moving up from 1k. I see a lot of ripples/dents on that edge. I do this at least once before going up to the next stone on about all stones. It gives a smoother, straighter edge. Even at 1k, your edge should look like a straight line. Keep it up. It takes time to learn to get everything to come together.

The Cotie edge... If that felt good to you then great. I wouldn't think of shaving with that. Here is an Ark Edge after some stropping time. A straight line on the edge. And the strop has taken away most of the Stria that reach the edge. Just for reference. Keep it up. It keeps getting better.
2059182314399.jpg

Thanks for the input gents, I should have shaved with the 12K edge before using the Coti, just for reference, but I didn't.
Will have at it again after Christmas is all over. Anyway, good to know it can be improved further!

Nice work!

I have a Bleckmann as it happens, though I haven't been able to find out much about them. Mine was extremely rusty and chipped sitting in a box with a load of old chisels at a salvage yard, and when I got home I noticed it also had a warp in it. On paper it looked like a nightmare, and now I probably wouldn't bother picking it up, but I'm very glad I did. It honed up incredibly easily, and is a fantastic razor that shaves up there with my best.

Also interestingly - it's magnetic, though it doesn't say that on it. Until seeing this thread I'd put that down to it having become magnetised by rolling around with a load of old chisels, but maybe it was just something Bleckmann did...

This is a 6/8:

IMG-4895 (1).jpg

Top Bottom