What's new

What did you hone today?

Combination of Rolls and GEM wedge blades, since I last tried them on very convex stones with poor results. Also a new (to me) Torrey "Whip Line" (which I understand to be their budget line) and my Wm. Greaves and Sons FBU which saw an unfortunate, but gentle, contact with the faucet during its last use. One spot on the edge is either slightly rolled or slightly chipped as a result. Could have been worse.
IMG_20200217_144229-01.jpeg

All will see a synthetic Norton progression to 8k and a little time on the Naniwa 12k. The straights will then get the full balsa progression to finish.

Yeah, it's pretty much Honing Heaven in my house today.:clap::clap::clap:

I found this Genco “Old Dutch” this morning in the wild. I cleaned it up and reset bevel with 1k. Progression of 4K,8K and 12k. Hit diamond pasted balsa progression for a nice method edge. First shave with it tomorrow morning. Have a great weekend gents.
E2D62361-87B8-43E3-996D-929D08F43E31.jpeg

I had to refresh my Kotetsu Kamisori.

I honed this bad boy on my Nakayama Asagi Tiramisú using my reddish shoubudani iromono nagura.

I used a special technique for finishing this kamisori:
About 6:1 ratio
Omote - I went 1stroke edge-leading and back with 1 edge trailing wavy stroke (same side)
Ura - edge-trailing vibrating stroke, only to remove the burr.

Why? Because it felt good and because i wanted to experiment with something new. Also I wanted to treat the ura as the ura of a single bevel knife, i honed on it only to remove the burr.

The kamisori was so "smooth" that at the end of honing it magically stuck to the honzan.

I got a hair popping edge which I cannot wait to try later.

Attachments

• IMG_20200301_093731609.jpg
    IMG_20200301_093731609.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This is a USO (unidentifiable shaving object) as the makers name has been either rubbed off or not properly stamped. The last four letters are “cord”. The fellow I buy razors from just threw it in the box with a razor I had ordered because I prefer small blades and he couldn’t sell it. It lay on my desk for some time but I honed it last night not expecting much. I honed it on film to 14k but didn’t bother with a pasted balsa progression. I shaved half my face with it this morning and to my surprise, it shaved absolutely beautifully and with only a 14k edge. Whoever made it made a very good blade. Happy to have it. It is getting my entire face tomorrow.

Attachments

• E90DE484-5515-4FF7-B5A4-CC6BD371D52E.jpeg
    E90DE484-5515-4FF7-B5A4-CC6BD371D52E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
50/50 day on the hones for me...

Refreshed a Dovo Inox with Olivewood scales for a friend today. Norton 4k, 8k, and a Naniwa 12k followed by the balsa progression. Shave test declared it a winner.

Also spent some time on an old Torrey butter knife. Couldn't set a bevel on the full length of the blade to save my life. I decided to work on correcting the geometry and lost a fair amount of spine in the process. So I now have a fairly ugly razor that has a full length bevel set. I'll tackle the progression tomorrow and we'll see what we shall see...

Refreshing the edge on that one.
I had bought it shave ready a few years back and it did shave, but I was never that impressed with the edge, so I finally decided to hone it myself.
Started at 4000 on the Norton, then 8000 still on the Norton. Moved to King 6K, then Naniwa 10K, Shapton 12K, Shapton 16K and finished on Gokumyo 20K.
2020_02_29.jpg

A junker razor I keep around to test stones on and a progression of a soft and two hard Arks.I think the Razor says B. Razor Co.
It was a pretty good shave.

I needed a haircut, my wife often cuts my hair but she didn't have time. So I touched up our barber shears and took them with me to the stylist. I like taking my own shears to get feedback from the stylists on how well I sharpened them. I told the stylist that she could switch to her own shears if she wanted, figuring that she would rather use the tools that she was used to, but I just wanted her to try out mine.

She used my shears for the whole haircut and said it was nice using sharp shears.

Didn’t like the edge this Cape 2000 came with (I think it was a 12k synth) so I took it through tenjyo, majiro, then koma on this big and very hard Ozuku. Then went for a Tomo on my no name B.H.U.H. (Barbers Hone of Unfashionable Hardness).
image.jpg

After cleaning up this Manhattan near wedge I proceeded to hone it.
It was a very near wedge, which complicated things a bit, but it was not as hellish as others I've dealt with.
I finished it on an Imperia la Roccia, followed by this wooden Corsican strop.
Honed.jpg

Top Bottom