What's new

What did you hone today?

Refreshed the edge of my Thiers-Issard Le Dandy om my Naniwa 12k stone and Suehiro Gokumyo 20k
proxy.php

E1F1BBF1-4A38-4D1D-9648-BBD03242F917.jpeg
Did a Coticule/MMTT Thuringian touch up progression on the 9/16 John Holler (black fancy scales), with 60 x’s each. I’ll need to wait for Monday to evaluate.

The Venus got 50 linen and 50 horse.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Honed a few knives this evening. I am continually amazed at how fast and fine some of these naturals are. Takeda Honesuki on a Nakayama on top and a spyderco on a big coti below
2F1284A1-CF99-4CE7-A2BB-CCB156855F29.jpeg
9E89A1B6-6792-4A68-8AFC-4CE72E140728.jpeg

I hate to admit it, but this blade is defeating me. I’ve had this blade for 10 years now. No matter what I do I cannot get it to shave comfortably. I can get it to shave, But it still tugs and leaves irritation. I’ve had it honed by at least 5 pros who all said the same thing. My next step will be to try pastes and maybe lapping film.
Today I took it to a Takashima and just did mindless laps until it was popping hairs. I then followed it up with the convex ark with liquid soap. It’s popping hair better but I still think the tree topping isn’t up to par. Maybe some more mindless laps on the ark is needed.

Anyone else have one of those blades that’s just don’t cooperate.

FDA6DF54-1AB4-4D10-8B92-6EE87E7CC917.jpeg

5/8 1953 Stiz Russian Straight Refreshed on a J-Nat
View attachment 960998

To me, that really looks like the number 65, next to an image of Sputnik 1,
rather than a 1953 razor.

Based on my experience honing a single Russian razor,
I have found the steel to be tough, abrasion resistant and
less chippy than any other steel.
I had finished it on an ILR, and while it didn't want to cut me
or irritate my face, I felt that it could be sharper, so I got an
Lv5++ Ozuku, and now it's sharper.

I think the Russian steel is very different from other steels.
Do you have thoughts about that?

Honed up a "The Improved Eagle Razor"

Ho????ise
Razor Co
Germany

Soft steel
11* angle

I'll be VERY surprised if this survives the shave... but we shall see. If it does, we're talking light saber sharp here.

Basil, what did the pro's have to say about it?
The razor was one of the newer made friodur stainless razors. It did well on softer stones and lower grit but as you moved up the stones it couldn’t really take it. the blade refused to get sharp and would just start to chip or the edge wouldn’t last a shave.

I’ve moved on from the razor so I’m not frustrated by it anymore, but every once and while I pull it out to see if anything changed.

Basil, i have heard that razors can start to chip if the bevel angle is too low aswell. May be worth a try to check.

The razor was one of the newer made friodur stainless razors. It did well on softer stones and lower grit but as you moved up the stones it couldn’t really take it. the blade refused to get sharp and would just start to chip or the edge wouldn’t last a shave.

I’ve moved on from the razor so I’m not frustrated by it anymore, but every once and while I pull it out to see if anything changed.
I have encountered this with German stainless steel. Razor couldn't handle hard and fine asagi's which I thought were bullet proof. What worked for me, softer Jnat. Here is the razor. I went (L to R) Tenjyou, koma then tomo. Razor was essentially NOS when I got it.

fullsizeoutput_19bd.jpeg

I hate to admit it, but this blade is defeating me. I’ve had this blade for 10 years now. No matter what I do I cannot get it to shave comfortably. I can get it to shave, But it still tugs and leaves irritation. I’ve had it honed by at least 5 pros who all said the same thing. My next step will be to try pastes and maybe lapping film.
Today I took it to a Takashima and just did mindless laps until it was popping hairs. I then followed it up with the convex ark with liquid soap. It’s popping hair better but I still think the tree topping isn’t up to par. Maybe some more mindless laps on the ark is needed.

Anyone else have one of those blades that’s just don’t cooperate.

View attachment 987772

Yes, I have had a couple that won't cooperate. Finally, got one of them (a brutally hard Swedish blade) to be really really nice by using a 1k chosera to set the bevel then a couple of rounds of a DMT slurry using a small, but mighty, Shubodani. Finally finished with a tomo on the Shobu. The other is a nice Solingen blade but the grind is likely not very even (or previous hone wear etc.) because the bevel is horribly uneven at the heel on one side. Can get it to shave but just not to what I would consider a barber-quality shave. It's hard to give up on some of these...

Coticule and Thuringian under water, 50 x's each under dripping water to prep the pre 1890 W&B. The plastic bamboo scale John Holler got 25 linen and 60 horse. Same stropping as W&B.
John and Wade.jpg

Top Bottom