What's new

What did you hone today?

I'ts safer in some regards, easier in some regards too. It mutes feedback a bit. Most of these blades need a pretty serious bevel-reset and the handle helps there. X-strokes are difficult this way. I am not crazy about the wheels rolling on my hone.

Thank you Gamma!!!
Could the nylon wheels be removed, or would that take away the support on the bar.....

Testing a stone, used a Crown Japanese razor. Don't know much about them, hard steel that can get chippy is what I remember form the last time I used it 6 mo ago. Bevel set on 1k Chosera followed by Ohira suita, on the left, with a suita tomo. Then jumped to the kiita which is really nice. One of those very hard, very fine but at the same time fast stones. It will clean 3k scratches easily and when finished the bevel is shining like crazy. I did DN slurry, stropped and then finished on the asagi tomo slurry. Yeah the tomo slurry is indeed finer. The razor wiped 5 days of growth and left me with BBS and zero burn with alum/alcohol. Not bad :)

View attachment 985752
Awesome stuff looks like a fun time playing with a stone!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Testing a stone, used a Crown Japanese razor. Don't know much about them, hard steel that can get chippy is what I remember form the last time I used it 6 mo ago. Bevel set on 1k Chosera followed by Ohira suita, on the left, with a suita tomo. Then jumped to the kiita which is really nice. One of those very hard, very fine but at the same time fast stones. It will clean 3k scratches easily and when finished the bevel is shining like crazy. I did DN slurry, stropped and then finished on the asagi tomo slurry. Yeah the tomo slurry is indeed finer. The razor wiped 5 days of growth and left me with BBS and zero burn with alum/alcohol. Not bad :)

View attachment 985752
That kiita looks killer. What’s the back and sides like?

Awesome stuff looks like a fun time playing with a stone!

Indeed it was. A lot of times I hone after I come home from work to decompress.

That kiita looks killer. What’s the back and sides like?

David both long sides have kawa. I just sealed the sides with few layers of cashew. The back I don't know because the previous owner glued it to the wooden base. When dry it has very faint black shadows, like it's dirty. I bet if more pronounced we would have a nice karasu.
Yes the performance of this one blew me away. Narrow stone, cut for razors and obviously whoever cut it knew what they had.

IMG_3111.JPG
IMG_3112.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

Got a little drunk over memorial day weekend and went on a razor buying spree... so I've been honing up the worst condition ones as they arrive (my mailman loves me... had a dozen packages for me today). They included a relatively recent with "Solingen" on the scales (usually means it's a very soft tourist trap razor or a total junk pakistan razor sold by crooks)... seem to have gotten lucky... looks like it's the former. Took a coti edge, waiting on a shave. Otherwise, grinding small chips out of several razors... Next one is a Top Flight I got for a song, that was almost NOS, except some crazy frown that looks like someone dented the edge in and hand ground it out by flexing the razor into a stone. Gonna be a pain to fix, but should still be almost NOS when I'm done... can probably get away with less than a mm shaved off it. Bigger problem is the wedge wobbles and contacts the toe, so I'm probably going to rescale.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Indeed it was. A lot of times I hone after I come home from work to decompress.

David both long sides have kawa. I just sealed the sides with few layers of cashew. The back I don't know because the previous owner glued it to the wooden base. When dry it has very faint black shadows, like it's dirty. I bet if more pronounced we would have a nice karasu.
Yes the performance of this one blew me away. Narrow stone, cut for razors and obviously whoever cut it knew what they had.

View attachment 985756 View attachment 985757

View attachment 985759
If it performs as well as it looks then you’ve got something special. Very nice.

Last edited:
I was just about to do some honing. Decided to go over the stone with the atoma to make sure it was flat. Well to my surprise the coti was pretty dished. Long story short I lapped 3 cotis 2 were combos and then two jnats. 3 hours later everything is flat. Lol maybe I’ll just hone later.

:) Yeah drinking and going on line can be dangerous for the wallet.
Basil isn't it interesting how stones that look flat are actually dished? I learned the hard way when a known performer suddenly stop delivering. Kept thinking it was the razor until I lapped it.

:) Yeah drinking and going on line can be dangerous for the wallet.
Basil isn't it interesting how stones that look flat are actually dished? I learned the hard way when a known performer suddenly stop delivering. Kept thinking it was the razor until I lapped it.
Totally know what you mean. All this time I was thinking I lost my honing mojo.

Ok, so that razor I thought might be Pakistan garbage... it's not. It's Chinese garbage. Tried the shave and the edge failed. Looked at it under the scope and it looks like it's almost good enough to be a razor... just not quite. Googled the brand and apparently they sell for $80 online as "Hand Made In Germany"... and they're better known for selling chinese knock-off TTO's that they also claim are from Solingen.
Mehaz Straight Razor - Barber Depot
mehaz razor site:www.badgerandblade.com - Google Search
Actually has some positive reviews on Amazon, which is terrifying.

Shame too, because it wasn't in terrible shape... could almost have been restored to look close to new if it had been worthwhile to do so. And the steel is quite a bit better than most of the pakistan "Razor Shaped Objects". It actually took a decent edge. It's just too soft to hold it for a shave. Felt it failing the first time it touched my beard. I pushed it through a full WTG shave just cause a seashell could give you a WTG shave and I didn't feel like changing razors... but starting to wish I hadn't now. Soooo itchy.

Everything about the rolls razor is janky and not quite right but it makes you want to like it. If you ever get back into making barber hones, you should make a really aggro cutting drop in replacement for the hone and a paste strop for the strop. I think viable components that actually could keep it going would get traction.

Top Bottom