What's new

What did you hone today?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Took a mystery stone for a test drive. A unknown slate delivered a keen edge to my Wilhelm Mandt. Did a smooth one and a half pass shave after linen and leather

CF864887-F637-4894-A4FE-4E44407D9BDE.jpeg

20190610_083356.jpg

The razor i learned to shave on with a straight (7/8 #76 full hollow R. Herder Abr.Sohn Solingen, with original plastic scales and wedge) still had the original edge from the seller and after 100+ shaves it really needed a refresh.

First i went on my new Suita with a diamond slurry, after that on to the Shoubudani with a mejiro, koma and tomo slurry.

After that the shave, what a nice blade, a succesfull refresh :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A razor just received in the mail today...

ATOR | ERN | Wald:480:6-12-19.JPG

ATOR | ERN | Wald (whatever it's name is?) honed on three stones.
  • Chosera 1K burr method to get rid of some little chips and a ragged section.
  • The soft side of my Double Convex Ark 8x3.
  • The hard transparent side of my DCA.
I went back and forth some between the two sides of the DCA.

ERN | ATOR | Wald.backside.6-12-19.480JPG.JPG

I'm lousy at knowing when to proceed and when to stop honing. The shave test is the only test that I can do correctly. It will have to wait until tomorrow at least.

The photos are before I honed the edge. Maybe you can see in the pictures how ragged the edge was. I needed a microscope|loupe (about 40X) to see anything much.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A razor just received in the mail today...

View attachment 990002

ATOR | ERN | Wald (whatever it's name is?) honed on three stones.
  • Chosera 1K burr method to get rid of some little chips and a ragged section.
  • The soft side of my Double Convex Ark 8x3.
  • The hard transparent side of my DCA.
I went back and forth some between the two sides of the DCA.

View attachment 990003

I'm lousy at knowing when to proceed and when to stop honing. The shave test is the only test that I can do correctly. It will have to wait until tomorrow at least.

The photos are before I honed the edge. Maybe you can see in the pictures how ragged the edge was. I needed a microscope|loupe (about 40X) to see anything much.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yesterday's honing went well going by today's shave test of the ATOR | ERN | Wald this morning.

Next up?

I've never before honed a razor with a big smile.

fredericks-celebrated-razor-480-6-12-19-jpg.989928

This is my Fredericks Celebrated Razor, newly acquired from eBay. I cleaned it up some after this photo was taken but it is by no means shiny and new looking. It's pre-1892 so it should look old and a bit funky according to me.

The edge viewed with my little "microscope" showed a few little chips and a very ragged area or two. I tried for a few minutes to address these with the soft side of the Double Convex Arkansas 8x3, but quickly realized the futility, and turned to the Chosera 1K.

It took a ton of 1k work to get anywhere near where I wanted to be. This is a very hard blade!

Once I felt like I was close to the bevel being set (not that I had a burr across the entire edge), I moved to the DCA and spent a long time on the soft side. Then, the hard side. Then, back to the soft side. Finally I finished on the hard side. My very final finishing was under running water at the sink, but I used Ballistol/water for the rest.

Following linen, leather, denim, and leather stropping the edge felt sharp to my finger tips. We'll see if it's really sharp when I take it to the shave test.

Fredericks.Face.480.NotCleaned.6-12-19.JPG

Here it is again (not cleaned at all in this photo).

This blade was a bear to hone, but I've honed blades which were much more difficult (junk like a badly ground Gold Dollar). This Fredericks was actually a lot of fun, but just took some work. I'm not sure there won't be a lot more honing before this one is finally finished, but it looks like it will be a very nice shaver when it's done.

Yesterday's ERN honing was a piece of cake compared to this blade.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yesterday's honing went well going by today's shave test of the ATOR | ERN | Wald this morning.

Next up?

I've never before honed a razor with a big smile.

fredericks-celebrated-razor-480-6-12-19-jpg.989928

This is my Fredericks Celebrated Razor, newly acquired from eBay. I cleaned it up some after this photo was taken but it is by no means shiny and new looking. It's pre-1892 so it should look old and a bit funky according to me.

The edge viewed with my little "microscope" showed a few little chips and a very ragged area or two. I tried for a few minutes to address these with the soft side of the Double Convex Arkansas 8x3, but quickly realized the futility, and turned to the Chosera 1K.

It took a ton of 1k work to get anywhere near where I wanted to be. This is a very hard blade!

Once I felt like I was close to the bevel being set (not that I had a burr across the entire edge), I moved to the DCA and spent a long time on the soft side. Then, the hard side. Then, back to the soft side. Finally I finished on the hard side. My very final finishing was under running water at the sink, but I used Ballistol/water for the rest.

Following linen, leather, denim, and leather stropping the edge felt sharp to my finger tips. We'll see if it's really sharp when I take it to the shave test.

View attachment 990589

Here it is again (not cleaned at all in this photo).

This blade was a bear to hone, but I've honed blades which were much more difficult (junk like a badly ground Gold Dollar). This Fredericks was actually a lot of fun, but just took some work. I'm not sure there won't be a lot more honing before this one is finally finished, but it looks like it will be a very nice shaver when it's done.

Yesterday's ERN honing was a piece of cake compared to this blade.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Fredericks was sharp, comfortable, and smart today. It passed the shave test with flying colors. I think, however, it could be even sharper with more honing on the DCA. Not that it needs to be, but why not?

Happy shaves,

Jim

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Many thanks to @Steve56 for sending me several packs of high quality assorted finger stones. The high grade Uchigumori (from the sword polisher) did a great job contrasting this little Kogatana.
DAD3FEF8-3A86-4C76-AAC1-066E46BF3E1C.jpeg
955A1AA0-94A1-4E16-BB41-23EA9F406F33.jpeg

Gd208 refresh on a chosera 2k and a couple of jnats, on the left a hard Oozuku Tomae and on the right a Kiita from an unknown mine

proxy.php

Heljestrand mk10 needed lots of work. It was ground down on a belt at the spine and edge, So it needed some sandpaper to even out the scratches. I then set the bevel on a atoma 1200 it took a while to grind it out properly. Took it to the jnats, first a midgrit stone with a botan slurry to smooth out the bevel. Then took it to my ozuku for a full nagura progression. Will shave test it tonight.

75CBB2A7-D512-4CA2-98D7-D8A2DABCAC5B.jpeg

Top Bottom