What did you hone today?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
9F2C1649-9850-4C26-A7E7-9C249D274ACC.jpeg

Pre Dovo 5/8 Bismarck

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
5-15-19.350.Valencia.Omega'sBest.640.JPG

Today was an adventure with the Edge On Up sharpness instrument, the Double Convex Arkansas 8x3 stone and my "350" razor. It's a razor which has puzzled me greatly but I know what happened today. Link. I also know I've probably rescued a blade I like, but I'll know for sure tomorrow.

proxy.php

Needed to remove a tiny chip in the blade so I took this back to 1000 grit and through lapping film. I'll give it a try on my next shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of honing today. A friend new to straights came by for an intro to maintaining edges. Showed him the diamond pasted balsa and gave him some balsa and backings to build his own. Refreshed 3 razors on the Nani 12k followed by the balsa progression. Then showed him the burr method of setting a bevel on a modified GD on the Norton 1k including the thumbnail test. Finally, have him a sense of "sticktion" on a Norton 4k with practice using the thumbpad test. Now it's just a matter of practice. Fun day on the stones.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Just touched up one of my hunting knives on a stone that was gifted to me by @alx gilmore. I’m unsure of the stones origin, but it’s quick to release an army of fast cutting grit, making it a near perfect field stone. Thanks again, Alex.
56D142D3-5C3B-495E-B384-55C8887006BE.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As American as possible for Memorial Day.

5-27-19.Geneva+narrowTorrey.Off-DCA.480.JPG

Two narrow American blades - Geneva and Torrey - were honed on the Double Convex Ark 8x3.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Trying to hone this w&b wedge. One layer of tape or more makes it skip and scratch, no tape it glides smooth. Looks like I’ll try and see how it goes with no tape.

3499AB61-D7E8-4BCB-9B5A-40A8A53A8E7A.jpeg

Trying to hone this w&b wedge. One layer of tape or more makes it skip and scratch, no tape it glides smooth. Looks like I’ll try and see how it goes with no tape.

View attachment 984652

You might try Gorilla tape. I had electrical tape glue doing that to a western kami or something. I thought maybe the tougher tape might work better and it did. I seemed to push and draw easier too. I’ve not tried it again for repeatability. It was like the low angle an shallow concave collected grit which wore at the tape edge and worked the glue loose gumming up the stone some. I’ve only taped a couple times so I’m not sure my experience counts for anything, but it might be worth trying.

A82A2103-475F-4DDD-86E6-09CC9879A688.jpeg

That is the stropping/honing handle from the case, I removed one from a parts kit and cleaned it up.

proxy.php

Thanks Gamma!!! It's funny as half way through yesterday I did think I wonder if it's the handle from the case, do you find it better to use that way.....

...do you find it better to use that way.....
I'ts safer in some regards, easier in some regards too. It mutes feedback a bit. Most of these blades need a pretty serious bevel-reset and the handle helps there. X-strokes are difficult this way. I am not crazy about the wheels rolling on my hone.

I'ts safer in some regards, easier in some regards too. It mutes feedback a bit. Most of these blades need a pretty serious bevel-reset and the handle helps there. X-strokes are difficult this way. I am not crazy about the wheels rolling on my hone.
Are the wheels metal?

Testing a stone, used a Crown Japanese razor. Don't know much about them, hard steel that can get chippy is what I remember form the last time I used it 6 mo ago. Bevel set on 1k Chosera followed by Ohira suita, on the left, with a suita tomo. Then jumped to the kiita which is really nice. One of those very hard, very fine but at the same time fast stones. It will clean 3k scratches easily and when finished the bevel is shining like crazy. I did DN slurry, stropped and then finished on the asagi tomo slurry. Yeah the tomo slurry is indeed finer. The razor wiped 5 days of growth and left me with BBS and zero burn with alum/alcohol. Not bad :)

fullsizeoutput_19c7.jpeg

Top Bottom