What's new

What did you hone today?

809176AC-6A09-46A7-94B1-78870B47640B.jpeg

Put a shaving edge on this mk31 tonight.

Got a pile of "Spike" razors I picked up during my last big razor acquisition before I stopped buying razors. (They were going for $20-30 each in good condition and impressed me with consistency, so I wanted to collect a few users.) Yesterday I took 3 to a slurry finish on my 3 big Jnats, today 3 more to finishes on a Y/g Thuri, a PDSO, and an ultra-hard vintage coticule. Tomorrow 3 more to finish on a Vintage LL Hybrid, a Mystery stone (possibly a jnat, but unknown), and an Arkansas... maybe a fourth on an apache... that should wrap up all the Nat stones I finish on... probably repeat with my 2 finer Jnats on water tho... so 6 more.

I was bored and sick, so I banged out the rest of the razors too:

Got 11 razors finished on 3 jnats(slurried), a thuri, a pdso, a hard coti, a LL hybrid, an apache, an arkansas and 2 "mystery" stones. Still want to do the 2 finer jnats on water... debating if I want to redo the slurry finish razors or use 2 more.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A Puma Special #89 on a mystery green hone. Stone was found this weekend. Wanted to see what it had. Was given a comfortable, smooth blade

EA02378D-778D-4F9C-A0C2-4AC224130C3E.jpeg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Pretty nice looking mystery stone. I wonder what it might be. Any ideas?

I don’t know but it is a looker and a true finisher. It is very soft, silky and smooth with a slight feel of grit. The only provenance the seller gave me that it was from his great uncle. Told me he was in the military and it came home with it, along with others, but did know from where. I do not think it is a Vermont slate, too soft. Might be from U.K, Germany, maybe Japan. It does have a small amount of bark on the back edge. Love a mystery

843AF941-78CE-4407-8023-8D312ABC429B.jpeg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Last night I put an edge on a new knife, a Randall Alaskan Skinner. The original plan was to go 500-1,000 on the shapton glass 7 series, but boys will be boys (right Gillette?) and I ended up taking it through the whole progression. I’m really enjoying these little stones
E0EF307B-8A53-4848-B966-3A9393488B22.jpeg
0C074E08-4FCB-4AC7-A991-BB1329080842.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Dovo Special. Sharp as a hammer but I managed a good bevel set and will finish tomorrow night I hope. Can’t wait to shave with it. Started with 30u film and finished the bevel with a 1k Shapton. Will finish with film and pasted balsa.

I had the pleasure and thrill to hone and shave with my new Tim Zowada razor. This 7/8ths is made from steel that Tim smelts himself in his own furnace and forges the steel in his own patterns. The steel is made from black sand, iron rich sand that he collects from a secret beach on the Michigan side of Lake Superior. The absolutely best shaves I have ever had with any razor, bought borrowed or stolen, the easiest to hone and smoothest and keenest. You have to mach up stones with this steel, just like any razor but once you do I can shave off this same razor with half the stones used in this video.

David

Touched up the edge on a custom Damascus kitchen knife on a massive slab of vintage translucent Arkansas stone with Tomo glide oil.
8BCBAC72-5877-49F5-ACDB-7555346C8656.jpeg

David

David... tell us about that arkansas. Looks huge.
It came from the estate of a jeweler and was used as a gold testing stone. You can still see specks of gold on the back side now. It’s 10x 3.5 and 1” thick and has stamps on both ends, but I can’t make out what they say. It’s also got some neat white streaks going through it and a butterscotch bark on one side. It was one of those eBay lots that somehow went unnoticed and sold for very cheap.

Top Bottom