What's new

What did you hone today?

Little bit o' work on this old Greaves....
proxy.php

Sorry to muddy the waters, but I've seen a couple of near-wedge Sheffield razors with significant tri-band, hone-wear striping as posted here recently, making me wonder if the razors of old in question weren't honed free-style, like knives, which is to say lifting the spine off the stone when honing (a.k.a., bread-knifing) to prevent exceeding spine and bevel wear. Perhaps not the best edge as to an end-result by contemporary standards, but at least lifting the spine would be more in keeping with original razor manufacturer's intended use? If not, then perhaps we are risking to turn mildly-hollowed razors as ground into full wedges?

C.V. Heljestrand SE blade on LF. Nice shave.
After some luck with the Olean NY. barber hone it was time for the Winner barber hone.
Not shave tested yet.
V_IMG_9749.JPG IMG_9728.JPG

FA16C33A-737E-43DE-864F-66149117BBAB.jpeg

Couple of razors needed some attention. Working on the Zulu Grey in a progression of medium slurry to clear water. Excellent results.

Set some bevels today on my new Shapton Pro 1.5K, so much faster than the King 1K. Makes me wonder how I even got by before.
proxy.php

Tagore to the left, the first razor I got a really god coti edge from. Very skin friendly but similar sharp-/keenes like jnat or thuri edge ended with running water. Very happy when mange to get a similar edge on this Heljestrand.
Skärmklipp.JPG

078E622D-88EA-4B4C-A17F-896DB716FC58.jpeg
Zowada 6/8 on an Ozuku Koppa.
Took a bit to get this stone lapped in.
60-120-320-600 SiC progression on glass but the end result was well worth the effort.

Today was "chip removal day". Wade and Butcher Frameback.

Before:
s-l1600-1.jpg

And after:
IMG_20190414_122004.jpg

All the blade markings visible in the Before picture are still there. They just didn't show up in the bathroom lighting.

Shave test tomorrow and, assuming all goes well, a bit of clean-up.

Top Bottom