What's new

What did you hone today? -Knife and tool edition

Legion

Staff member
Continuing the potential viking whetstone testing, a vintage carbon cub scout knife on a Thuri. A Thuringian would be closer to the slate/schist type stones the actual vikings carried, but it would be a bit of a shame to start drilling and grinding one, even if it is surplus to requirements since I have a few.

IMG_7975.jpeg

I wasn’t terribly impressed by the job that a Soft Ark did recently on my Gyuto, so I pulled 2 Washitas downstairs to the kitchen to try them out on my petty and nakiri, to see if they might be faster than the Soft Ark.

I used the stone on the right, a Lily White Washita, on the Nakiri and it was quite aggressive when pressure was applied. The Calico on the left is a Herter’s Washita (Herter’s was a mail-order outfitter), almost certainly my prettiest whetstone. It worked almost as quickly on the petty.
IMG_2168.jpeg

Both knives then got a few strokes on a CrOx-pasted suede strop that my dad got me as a gift many years ago. It really does seem to make any edge you put to it seem quite a bit sharper with very minimal effort. Then a final stropping on plain leather and both knives were slicing paper towels. Considering what my paper towels are like, that is quite impressive - its a considerably more difficult test than cutting newspaper.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Pic from a semi-local estate sale. I’m debating making the 3hr drive to pick it up. I don't have a lot of axes that need sharpening, but I suppose I could buy some. Maybe I can use it to hone a straight razor? :biggrin1:
IMG_4512.jpeg

Top Bottom