What's new

What did you hone today? -Knife and tool edition

Recieved the penrhiw hone from the saint sue auction. It was plucked straight from the Welsh countryside by @cotedupy and per his recommendation I started on it with a thin oil. In my case I used wd40.

Substantially faster than I expected, and it puts a nice slightly toothy edge on my cutlery.

I touched up some of my blue #2 carbon steel knives today.
View attachment 1748034

Glad you like!

The majority of the knives I sharpen are blue 2 and blue super as well, and it's really superb on those. The little bit of extra speed in comparison to 'standard' Idwals / Welsh novaculites gives that little bit of toothy bite and a pretty much pitch-perfect kitchen knife edge.

That's cool. I really like the bit I have.

And you guys are currently the only people who have one. I need to get round to shaping and flattening another bit for myself, hopefully the rock I have left is of the same quality!

Legion

Staff member
Glad you like!

The majority of the knives I sharpen are blue 2 and blue super as well, and it's really superb on those. The little bit of extra speed in comparison to 'standard' Idwals / Welsh novaculites gives that little bit of toothy bite and a pretty much pitch-perfect kitchen knife edge.

And you guys are currently the only people who have one. I need to get round to shaping and flattening another bit for myself, hopefully the rock I have left is of the same quality!
Get your butt back to that Welsh bog, asap! Take a wheelbarrow.

Reground this Douk Douk to a zero convex grind using a 120 grit J-Flex ceramic belt followed by a medium Scotchbrite belt sprayed down with WD-40. The edge bevel on this knife is now a true microbevel which was put on with a coarse India. Will slice very aggressively, won’t quite do a 90 push cut in thin catalog paper but will on a 45 both with and across the grain of the paper. Will also shave arm hair very well.

IMG_2717.jpeg

IMG_2718.jpeg

IMG_2719.jpeg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Everything but the bread knife. My 10" Jeune chef. Wife's 8" Thiers Issard Elephant chef, a 6" TI petty, a 4" TI parer, two 2 1/2" Nogent parers, a TI boning knife, a TI 10" slicer, six Laguiole steak knives, and a little Case physician's knife. Everything got the 1000 grit Sharpening Supplies stone, and a few of them first had a moment with the 300 grit Sharpening Supplies stone. Tomorrow both stones may visit the flattening stone. I am not a honing geek, just a cook who loves his old carbon steel Sabs and likes them in good "kitchen work" shape. 1000 is plenty fine.

IMG_5952.jpeg
I don't even have a name or maker to hang on this 4", $4 folder. It was quite crusty until I got it cleaned. Contrasting horn scales, a bail, unusual clip blade profile, stiff slip joint. More artisan than industrial product, even if it is INOX.

'That guy' really messed up the blade, 'honing' with some sort of rotary tool. These photos fail to do justice to the damage. I have merely started the edge restoration, deepening the choil and honing out chips using a 6x2 1200 diamond plate. I put a short leather lanyard on it to help retreival. A fun carry, more fun once I get the edge restoration finished.
IMG_5954.jpeg

IMG_5953.jpeg
IMG_5951.jpeg

IMG_5950.jpeg

Old knife, new hones

Rapala still sells wood-handled fillet knives with these traditionally designed Finnish leather sheaths. You can even get a presentation model for a Benjamin or two.

This one is not as old as I am, but it's birth was closer to the start of the production run back in the 1960s than it is to 2024.

My Rapala was already tackle box sharp, but maybe would appreciate a polished edge?

And Dan's is still selling rocks. When the holidays were approaching, I splurged on rocks for knives, separate from my rocks for razors. This was a first outing for a 6x2 translucent and an 8x2 black. I pulled out both hones, so I could compare the feel on this thin blade. Norton honing oil, not that 3-in-One is anything to sneeze at.

Bottom line, the black seems finer than the trans. I didn't have a freshly caught fish for testing, but I suspect any difference in polish would be visual rather than practical.

For this length of blade, 8 inches of rock was very nice, but not essential. My knife trans ark from my early teens is 3" long (and slowly turning amber).

IMG_6009.jpeg

No name Scandinavian carving/whittling knife. $1. Very dull as found, but not abused, as though it had never been resharpened. Maybe somebody tried some chip carving, got bored (I would), and just quit.

I honed mainly with diamonds, but I did a little work with a couple boxed 4x2 Smith's hones, soft and hard arkansas, that I found recently.

At $1 I had to buy it, even though my whittling kit is little used these days. My experience: diamonds work well with a light touch on hard Swedish knife steel.

IMG_6088.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
Doing some testing, trying to work out what might be the best hone for SAK steel. TOS, Coticule, Washita, Charn, trans Ark. As measured by the very scientific arm shave test.

Winner… I think the Coti. Second, a little surprisingly, the Washita.

IMG_7875.jpeg

Some sort of Czechoslovakian doctor's knife
horn scales, partial edge, blunt spatula tip, stainless

IMG_6104.jpeg
IMG_6105.jpeg

Haven't been able to track down the maker.

Emergency repair on one of our kitchen knifes... dropped it off the counter and took off about 3mm of the tip when it landed. A round trip on the 80 w&d to shape the spine, and some scrubbing of the edge on a coarse India and it looks ... okay?

1000000710.jpg

Finished it on this unknown natural stone, a $15 chancer from yahoo auctions. Not Japanese, possibly french? Works pretty good with knives.

1000000711.jpg

Legion

Staff member
IMG_7973.jpeg

Taylors Eye Witness spey knife, to test an inexpensive soft Ark stone, to maybe make into another viking style whetstone. Works just fine. When I bought it there was someone in Aus selling them quite cheaply, and in hindsight I should have bought ten.

Last edited:
Top Bottom