What's new

What country makes or made the best straight razors.

Nah, I avoid modern makers and their wares... the exception was Brian Brown and I somehow managed to lose the razor I bought from him.
My interests lie with vintage blades; I have a drawer full of 8/8 Sheffies, mostly Wades - I have no reason to look any further.

I want to try an 8/8" razor. So far the biggest razor I've used is in between a 6/8 and 7/8. But not even a 7/8. I also want to try a heavy blade something in like a quarter hollow to near wedge. And I need to try a Sheffield as well. Most everything I use is 4/8 - 6/8 full hollow and japanese full hollow and lightweight.

@Suhrim21 Heavier blade, or heavier razor? I scaled a 6/8 extra full hollow grind with Giraffe bone scales that turned this razor into the heaviest razors I own, heavier than 8/8’s. Not sure if the weight contributes to cutting efficiency but this is the best shave razor I own.

DE62CDAD-F943-4A18-A852-501075B3EF96.jpeg

@Suhrim21 Heavier blade, or heavier razor? I scaled a 6/8 extra full hollow grind with Giraffe bone scales that turned this razor into the heaviest razors I own, heavier than 8/8’s. Not sure if the weight contributes to cutting efficiency but this is the best shave razor I own.

View attachment 1123832

That is beautiful. I am thinking overall weight. I dont know if weight has anything to do with different feel when shaving. That is why I want to try one out and see.

One of the issues I have is the hair is so thick on my neck every razor bounces when I am shaving my neck ATG. I'm curious if it is the grind or weight that is causing it, or if nothing changes with different razors.

I want to try an 8/8" razor. So far the biggest razor I've used is in between a 6/8 and 7/8. But not even a 7/8. I also want to try a heavy blade something in like a quarter hollow to near wedge. And I need to try a Sheffield as well. Most everything I use is 4/8 - 6/8 full hollow and japanese full hollow and lightweight.
Koraat makes exactly what you are looking for and then some.

I know for certain I like older english blades.

to me they sharpen well, hold and edge well, and shave well to me.

may be adding spain to that list in a bit........but am waiting to pass judgement until my project is completed.

camo

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
All of the Japanese-made razors are stiff regardless of grind. Their ‘Extra Full Hollow’ could indeed be heavier than 1/2 hollow, like the old Sheffield razors. None of them will be flexible at the edge like a Filarmonica or some of the more hollow German razors. The most hollow Japanese razors that I’ve encountered have been some of the Cape razors, and some of the Perfect Works razors. Regardless, they are still stiff razors and about half hollow. That’s not to say that they weren’t thin at the edge, many were so thinly ground the bevels could be difficult to see!

I have yet to find a modern razor I really dig. But, I also love short, heavy blades... and those are hard to come by in the vintage models. Most people just throw a blade away when they get a chip in the toe, but me... I see opportunity!

So, how do I get short, heavy blades? Modern blade companies makes make them... and I have even had a few custom made (I had Nate Zowada make a shorty for me, for example). So I keep getting suckered into buying modern blades, only to find them "meh". But occasionally, when I feel the need to increase my rotation with new blades, I will look again at a modern maker I havnt tried yet: Lately that has been Riga and Korrat. But that is serious coin for something that I will likely try a couple of times, and then put away.

Maybe I should start selling a few. :)

So, anyway... long story short (too late now!), I tend to stick with my old Sheffields and other old European makes.

I have yet to find a modern razor I really dig. But, I also love short, heavy blades... and those are hard to come by in the vintage models. Most people just throw a blade away when they get a chip in the toe, but me... I see opportunity!

So, how do I get short, heavy blades? Modern blade companies makes make them... and I have even had a few custom made (I had Nate Zowada make a shorty for me, for example). So I keep getting suckered into buying modern blades, only to find them "meh". But occasionally, when I feel the need to increase my rotation with new blades, I will look again at a modern maker I havnt tried yet: Lately that has been Riga and Korrat. But that is serious coin for something that I will likely try a couple of times, and then put away.

Maybe I should start selling a few. :)

So, anyway... long story short (too late now!), I tend to stick with my old Sheffields and other old European makes.

The only modern blade I have is the blades grim. I want to get some of the modern ones but they are expensive. I really want a good sampling to help narrow down a rotation that I just absolutely love. right now I have a lot I love but still have some that are just ok. You will notice which ones I rarely use.

Gees, that's a tough question. I love razors from all the great razor making areas of the world. If someone put a gun to my head and made me choose then for me it would be France. Le Jaguar, Le Grelot, Thiers Issard, Aubril, Langlois (George Washington shaved with one), P Fritisse and St Etienne. All superb shaving razors.

Over the last 150 years great razors have been made in many countries by very many manufacturers. Added to this comes personal preferences. In short it's impossible to give one answer.

Having stated the above is like to add: STOP BIDDING ON SWEDISH RAZORS IN PRISTINE CONDITION. Instead use your hard earned money to buy the Chinese razors mentioned above and we'll all be better off.

So @Suhrim21, have you been able to identify what you think are the comparable parameters of the best straight razor from a specific country?
  • fit & finish
  • Edge retention at a certain level
  • Ease of honing
  • Value (price related)
  • Ease of finishing (universal)
  • Consistency of offerings
I could not think of a specific house that checks ALL of my specific marks ALL of the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom