What's new

What country makes or made the best straight razors.

Absolutely they do. Send me a dozen Swedes and I’ll send you a dozen Paks. :laugh:
Nice try Steve :001_smile. Let me tell you a dark secret, that I'm not too proud of, so please don't tell anyone:c6:.

Many years ago I wanted to try something different when it comes to straight razors, and without knowing anything about them I bought a NOS Filarmonica for a price that should have made me suspicious, but at the time it just made want to close the deal as soon as possible. When I got the razor it indeed was NOS, but it was the very last generation (generation 5) made in Pakistan. I tried to shave with it, but it turned out to be useful only as a paperweight. I've still got it somewhere since I can't pass my mistake on to someone else that like me wouldn't know any better.

Since then I've managed find both a NOS 12 and a NOS 13 Filarmonica, both of generation 2. Both are first class shavers.

So @Suhrim21, have you been able to identify what you think are the comparable parameters of the best straight razor from a specific country?
  • fit & finish
  • Edge retention at a certain level
  • Ease of honing
  • Value (price related)
  • Ease of finishing (universal)
  • Consistency of offerings
I could not think of a specific house that checks ALL of my specific marks ALL of the time.

I do have a list of things that encompasses what makes the best straight. This topic is more so about people's personal preferences and why said country in general makes the best straights. It was intended to be more of a quick reference for newer not new users to help them get an idea what country to look for for their next razor. Not a end all definitive answer for them just a personal preference guide to help in the decision making process.

It was intended to be more of a quick reference for newer not new users to help them get an idea what country to look for for their next razor.

for a “newer to straights” I’d probably recommend size/grind changes, perhaps, rather than country of origin. Just a consideration.

88045F2E-6070-42D7-9021-445AAAEAB1EE.png
A5752D93-E8BF-4C0F-A916-C121505A3D8C.png
Similar to this with horn scales and ivory tang. The blade is 10/8.

Bloody hell... it does look amazing, but IMHO this is rather impractical... too big of a smile and too wide of a blade. I think it'll be very hard to have a comfortable shave with such a device. I might be wrong, of course.
Right now I have a smiling blade and a straight blade. The straight blade nose always catches me in the area where my neck and jawbone meet. No spikes for me thank you very much, but the smiling blades never catch my skin. I am hoping doubling down on the smile makes the perfect blade for me.

Right now I have a smiling blade and a straight blade. The straight blade nose always catches me in the area where my neck and jawbone meet. No spikes for me thank you very much, but the smiling blades never catch my skin. I am hoping doubling down on the smile makes the perfect blade for me.
Wow, I never thought of that. Given I too am still waiting to receive my Koraat, this is smth. I'd be really looking fwd to experimenting with. That said, the blade on mine is "standard" Koraat with a slight smile and it's a 6/8.

Nah, I avoid modern makers and their wares... the exception was Brian Brown and I somehow managed to lose the razor I bought from him.
My interests lie with vintage blades; I have a drawer full of 8/8 Sheffies, mostly Wades - I have no reason to look any further.
i would have to disagree, i acquired a koraat and a wacker that are remarkable razors. and a few others. i also have a vintage Japanese that i love.

IMG_0635.jpg

Koraat makes some beautiful razors thats for sure & yes I love mine this is now 2 years old

55.jpg

But then I love all Razors apart from the ones that don't work, Pakistani razors spring to mind But i do like Sheffield razors but then again living within an hours drive from Sheffield.

Thats quite a blade!

Thank you Sir!!!

@Ice-Man is that a reflection or does the jimping go all there way down the heel of the blade? Beautiful blade btw.

Thank you Sir!!!

And Its no reflection they go all the way down so you have no chance to slip, as they say once in the hand it ain't going nowhere.

Like I said he produces some beautiful razors I have never seen a bad one yet & love them all.....

Top Bottom