What's new

What country makes or made the best straight razors.

So, are we shaving, maintaining edges, honing, restoring, or taking pictures?

Is there now or, after Sheffield's peak, was there ever a center of straight razor production to compete with Solingen?

If we're taking pictures, Japan wins.

I am familiar with the major French, German, English, Swedish and even a few American producers. I always assumed the Japanese specialized solely in Kamisori razors.

What are some of the Japanese and Spanish producers to look out for in this space?

Do they make razors in other countries than China?
Smiley Whistles Loud Smiley

I am familiar with the major French, German, English, Swedish and even a few American producers. I always assumed the Japanese specialized solely in Kamisori razors.

What are some of the Japanese and Spanish producers to look out for in this space?

I have not come across one bad japanese company yet.

So, are we shaving, maintaining edges, honing, restoring, or taking pictures?

Is there now or, after Sheffield's peak, was there ever a center of straight razor production to compete with Solingen?

If we're taking pictures, Japan wins.

I'm not sure I understand the first question. The picture was in a direct response to a statement nothing else.

I'm not sure I understand the first question. The picture was in a direct response to a statement nothing else.

I was just thinking about all the factors that go into my appreciation of SRs. I wasn't referring to your picture - I really enjoy seeing your collection BTW. In spite of having too many SRs, I only get to appreciate a lot of razors (and countries of origin) in photos on the SR acquisition and use threads. So I'm best placed to vote on looks and secondarily on shave quality, which is squarely in YMMV territory. My honing/ maintenance career has been too short to give me a vote there.

SR countries I've yet to visit:
Sweden (but Swedish steel was popular across Europe)
Spain

One razor countries:
England (at least one restoration pending)
Japan (one or more pending restore)
Latvia
China
France (plus a Franco-Turkish Suer)

I have bunches of Solingen (new and vintage), USA, and Solingen made-for-USA razors, the most common types to be found in the wild here in the Pacific NW.

I was just thinking about all the factors that go into my appreciation of SRs. I wasn't referring to your picture - I really enjoy seeing your collection BTW. In spite of having too many SRs, I only get to appreciate a lot of razors (and countries of origin) in photos on the SR acquisition and use threads. So I'm best placed to vote on looks and secondarily on shave quality, which is squarely in YMMV territory. My honing/ maintenance career has been too short to give me a vote there.

SR countries I've yet to visit:
Sweden (but Swedish steel was popular across Europe)
Spain

One razor countries:
England (at least one restoration pending)
Japan (one or more pending restore)
Latvia
China
France (plus a Franco-Turkish Suer)

I have bunches of Solingen (new and vintage), USA, and Solingen made-for-USA razors, the most common types to be found in the wild here in the Pacific NW.

There are lots of great inexpensive japanese straights on ebay. The ABC razor I just posted recently I picked up for a great price. I do not have any power tools to help with restoring. Just took my time with it. Little at a time. Now i have a razor that would sell for probably 150. And thank you for the wonderful compliment on my collection. I'm still working on it.

Define superior.
It's rhetorical.
Everyone's definition can/will be different. People will like what they like.
I tend to prefer wider blades with heavy grinds, not too many of them come from anywhere other than the UK. So based on that preference, Sheffield made 'superior' razors. But only for me, in a very general sense. I"ve had blades from around the globe, some I liked, some I loved, some I hated. What's 'best' or 'superior' is a personal choice.

Define superior.
It's rhetorical.
I tend to prefer wider blades with heavy grinds, not too many of them come from anywhere other than the UK. So based on that preference, Sheffield made 'superior' razors. But only for me, in a very general sense. I"ve had blades from around the globe, some I liked, some I loved, some I hated. What's 'best' or 'superior' is a personal choice.

That is the exact point to this thread. Everyone's preferences are different. If a bunch of people are debating and talking about what they like what they dont like it can help newer members decide before dropping a lot of money trying a bunch of razors they will not like.

For example. I like thin well like japanese hollow. If a ton of people are saying most Sheffield razors are thicker ground I would probably not spend too much time searching for Sheffield razors as a newer person.

Personally I'm trying to try all sorts of grinds and sizes to see other than japanese razors what else I love.

Define superior.
It's rhetorical.
If you like wide blade with heavy grind, get a Koraat 9/8 in silver steel near wedge. look no further.

1594295647946.png

Top Bottom