What's new

What caused you to switch to wet shaving (DE, SE, straight)?

What caused you to switch to wet shaving (DE, straight, SE)?

• 1. Discomfort of previous shaving method (cartridge or electric)

• 2. Bad (i.e. not close) shave of previous method (cart or electric)

• 3. High cost of previous method (e.g. cartridges)

• 4. I was brought up wet shaving, and have stuck with it

• 5. I was curious to try wet shaving, decided I like it

• 6. I enjoy a sense of tradition and doing things the "traditional way"

• 7. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Read an article that DE shaving is cheaper and more effective than cartridges. The more effective part still holds true but I overrode the cheaper 26 razors ago. Still having fun.

I saw it on reddit. I thought it was neat, so I tried different razors out and found this forum, as well. Now I use a shavette exclusively. I love it!

I am a 1951 model. Started with a Tech and Blue Blades and Ivory soap. Later added a brush and Colgate soap. Over the years like most guys I gave carts, disposables, electrics a try. Found my way back to DE.

The kit available today is amazing. Italian razors! English soaps! German brushes! Russian blades!

My main reasons are that I love the tradition and the kit! :a29:

I was also fed up with the cost of carts that did not result in great shaves.

I started out wet shaving because that was the only choice in 1970 -- no cartridges or disposables in common use at th time. Switched to cartridges when I could no longer find a reliable source of injector blades in the late 80's, and suffered with them until a couple years ago.

Back to injector and DE shaving, don't plan use anything else. I'm not saving any money (unless I sell of the pile of razors I'm never going to use and some of the centuries long stash of blades), but I really do appreciate not spending $20 for six cartridges.....

All of those seven, I guess.

I was fed up with daily Norelco grindings and felt that a mature young man deserved a "proper" razor like Dad had used when I was a little boy, so I bought a Gillette Black Handle Super Speed in 1985. I really took to that razor and used it throughout college (and the campus bookstore always had blades). Around 1990, DE blades disappeared from stores, and I was forced into the Atra "system." About 12 years ago, I realized that the internet could provide acceptable blades, once again, so I happily went back to using DE razors. Oh, and I stubbornly refused to spend money on more than twin blade cartridges.

I didn't have much of a learning curve for using a DE razor, I kinda just always "got it." But, I grew up at the tail end of writing with fountain pens in school and understood "no pressure."

Last edited:
For me it was choice 5 - I was curious.

I grew up shaving with cartridge razors and cans of gel, and absolutely hated shaving - too much irritation. One day I stumbled onto the Wirecutter article The Best Manual Razor for Most Faces, which recommended the Merkur 37C. And the next thing I know, my daughter comes home to visit with a Merkur 23C and a 100-pack of Astra Superior Platinum blades. And then I find out that a bunch of colleagues at work are vintage Gillette razor enthusiasts.

Curiosity, but pushed over the edge after our grocery store moved cartridges behind the counter (because of price) so I had to wait in the lottery / cigarette line. A big Powerball came along and I decided it was time for a change

I picked "comfort" in the survey, but more accurately, my electric shaver was only mildly uncomfortable, but really boring. DE shaving is interesting.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I went with #3 (cost) and #6(Traditional), but both would be out the window if I didn't get great results.

I had a cheap DE set many years ago while in college but found it much too time consuming for me while living a busy lifestyle. A year ago I started having problems with my skin and so I went and got some better quality stuff and took my time with it. Now I absolutely enjoy shaving!

I've been proper wet shaving for a little over a week, and while the shaves are much smoother when I go Against the Grain, I've experienced irritation and weepers a little less than half the time. (Nothing I can't get over though: irritation I get rid of with extra lotion, weepers are weepers, not gushers)

In my OP the underlined word should read "closer".

I also love the “traditional” aspect. Great thread!

Thanks!

Maybe you mean "traditional" shaving?
Any shaving is wet as long as you use water.
I started using a DE when my dad showed me how to shave back in 1980.

Good clarification. Thankfully people got the gist of what I was saying.

alishock

I wrap my lips around a lovely pipe
Shaving was boring and the cartridges were expensive. Literally that. I was also sat home with a broken collarbone and internet access.

For me it was Gillette's latest commercial "stunt" and the irritation i got from their cartridge razors. Alas i bought a pack of Gillette 7 O'Clock..... :a13:

I started wet shaving in 1962 with a Gillette Slim and later with a Gem Micromatic OC, I liked shaving with a straight but now my hands are a bit too shaky. I've tried many Cartridge razor, always with bad results. I was always a 1 razor 1 soap etc. person, until I joined Badger and Blade, So I guess I'd now be called a collector.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I though shaky hands meant you didn't need to put batteries in the handle to get the "extra closeness from our vibrating blade" thing, @Tallships

Okay, let's ignore for the moment that carts and disposables are still "wet shaving"...
I am a 1951 model. Started with a Tech and Blue Blades and Ivory soap. Later added a brush and Colgate soap. Over the years like most guys I gave carts, disposables, electrics a try. Found my way back to DE.
That's similar to my story. I'm a 1953 model, and had a Super 109 in the '70s, then a few electrics.
I gave up on my last Braun when I found I could not get a replacement foil only two years after I bought it.
Switched to disposables for a while.
Then I got nostalgic for my missing Super 109, so I bought a Slim.
I hope some day to locate that Super 109. Possibly in a box in my basement.

I clicked on #6 (Tradition) and #7 (Other) - less plastic going into landfill.

#5 is what drew me in but after I got through the learning curve (sounds like you aren’t quite there yet) I realized I was getting bad shaves (#2) with the cartridge and never knew it.

Now when I occasionally have to use a cart when traveling, I hate it.

On the other hand, I truly look forward to my daily morning shave. It has become a very enjoyable part of my day ..... whereas before it was just a chored to be accomplished.

And it is an absolute blast to explore all the hardware and software options. A very enjoyable hobby.

Can’t imagine ever going back.

Top Bottom