What's new

What camera and photo gear do you use?

Pictures to follow...

In 35mm SLR, I have several N1KONs: N8008, N8008s, N70, N90, and two old "F" body cameras. Also a couple of Konicas.

In 35mm rangefinder: a Balda Baldessa, Bolsey B2, and FED-2.

proxy.php

A bunch of 1955 stuff.

M3's are lovely! It was my second rf and I wish I would have never gotten rid of it! When the funds allow I will be getting one again.

we're on our 4th digital.

First was a Kodak something or other, basic, but a nice camera,

Then came the Sony DSCV1 - really nice. Best low light camera we've ever owned. It puts out a laser grid for focusing on. The thing NEVER misfocused a low light shot!

Then, almost on a whim, we bought an Olympus dSLR. Came in a kit with a shorter (40-80?) and longer (80-200?) lens. Good camera but most of our shots are while traveling and I was always changing lenses when I wanted to be shooting. It also wasn't great in low light. But in good light, it's taken some spectacular shots.

Last fall we did some research and picked the N1kon P7000. What a sweet little camera. Full auto to full manual. Raw and/or JPEG up to 10mp. Does good in low light and 720p video. We're taking a trip soon so I'll let you all know how it works out but I'm really excited about it.

Ken

I like taking photos, but I'm completely new to system cameras. I got the Panasonic Lumix G10K from my dad for Christmas.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Now this camera is interesting... It was the first camera I ever bought myself. It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT1 (the American model name is different). It's shock- and waterproof and shoots video in 720p. It's really great for outdoor shots, but indoor shots just get crappy. And I really got the shock-proof quality of this camera tested, as you can see in the first photo:

proxy.php

See all those scrapes? Wonder what happened? Everything is documented right here (YouTube link, watch 720p fullscreen to see the quality it shoots!).

Yeah, so basically I fell down a mountain with it (read about it in the video info), it cracked against the rocks because I had to let it go. Thankfully I remembered to put the sling around my wrist, but it still got a good crackin'. You can hear that in the video, anyway. It still works perfectly fine. Thank God the lens wasn't hit.

Pretty traumatic experience in hindsight, but the camera caught more marks than me, at least physically.

Here is another shot.

proxy.php

This is my cheap, mini-tripod. I love it, and it fits into the bag of the bigger camera, seen here:

proxy.php

So that's a bit about my mountain adventures, and camera gear!

I recently sold all of my Canon gear (40D, various L lenses) and replaced it with a Panasonic GF1 + 20mm lens. Aside from that I still have a trusty Pentax K1000 film SLR, an ABR800 ring flash, an AB800 with various modifiers, and a Tronix Explorer XT portable power supply.

I find that's all I really need to get the job done - there's something to be said for keeping it light!

Now this camera is interesting... It was the first camera I ever bought myself. It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT1 (the American model name is different). It's shock- and waterproof and shoots video in 720p. It's really great for outdoor shots, but indoor shots just get crappy. !
I have a few cameras, some old N<A HREF="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Banned_Filtered_Vendor">*Filtered Vendor*</A> films and a N<A HREF="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Banned_Filtered_Vendor">*Filtered Vendor*</A> SLRD, but I, too, have the Lumix DMC. I have used it for taking pics of my razors-- I didn't find it that crappy. That is one great and versatile camera. HD video with Dolby sound, 12 mp camera, water, dust and shock proof, glass lens, true wide angle, focuses to a couple of inches, lots more -- one very good and tough unit. I have found that, since it is so small and easy to carry, I use it almost exclusively. Even though I have "better" cameras. I go to Burning Man and have destroyed a couple of lesser cameras, including a DSLR. This one doesn't get destroyed. As Rossmeister pointed out, it's rugged. It is just so good that I overcame my personal snobbery of a "point and shoot" because it works.

I should add that I worked as a pro photographer for music newspapers in another lifetime and used the good stuff, all pro equipment. I don't think my standards are lower now. I just get good results and am satisfied.

I have a few cameras, some old N<A HREF="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Banned_Filtered_Vendor">*Filtered Vendor*</A> films and a N<A HREF="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Banned_Filtered_Vendor">*Filtered Vendor*</A> SLRD, but I, too, have the Lumix DMC. I have used it for taking pics of my razors-- I didn't find it that crappy. That is one great and versatile camera. HD video with Dolby sound, 12 mp camera, water, dust and shock proof, glass lens, true wide angle, focuses to a couple of inches, lots more -- one very good and tough unit. I have found that, since it is so small and easy to carry, I use it almost exclusively. Even though I have "better" cameras. I go to Burning Man and have destroyed a couple of lesser cameras, including a DSLR. This one doesn't get destroyed. As Rossmeister pointed out, it's rugged. It is just so good that I overcame my personal snobbery of a "point and shoot" because it works.

I should add that I worked as a pro photographer for music newspapers in another lifetime and used the good stuff, all pro equipment. I don't think my standards are lower now. I just get good results and am satisfied.

Hey, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the DMC. I can never seem to get good indoor shots with it. The indoor lighting always messes up my shots. Maybe I haven't learned to use it right, yet?

Have you considered upgrading to the new version?

I collect antique cameras, but they're all packed up at the moment. lots of old Brownies and such. I still have my first "modern" SLR the Canon A1. Bought it when I was 18 when the camera first came out. I use a Canon 30D right now, and am waiting to get a 7D. I do mostly action photography, so the high burst speed is more important to me than the sensor size.

I call myself a 'semi-pro' photographer because I don't do this as my full time job. A lot of fun though.
http://www.allcreaturesphoto.com

Pentax K20d
Pentax K7

various manual and auto-focus lenses

Benbo tri-pod

Pentax AF-360 flash
old Big Vivitar bounce flash with sync cords (works well on hot shoe)

for inside shots or shots of shave gear I tend to grab the Pentax 50mm f1.4 lens or the 24mm f2 Pentax lens

Dave

Hi
My current gear

Canon 400d & 40d with battery packs
50mm 1.4
100mm macro
17- 85mm zoom only good as a walk about
70-200 mm 2.8 L IS
430 exii,580 exii & mt-24ex
Billingham 445 bag
Cokin zpro filters
Manfrotto and benbo tripods
and a small fortune in CF cards,batteries,cables and those things you think you need and then never use:001_rolle

First Digital was a Chinon es3000
proxy.php

Prior to that I had various film cameras that all stemmed from growing up with cameras around the house allot.

Currently using
D3
D300s
d2x
24-70 2.8
50 1.4
Sigma 70-200 2.8
Tokina 11-16 2.8
85 1.4
SB900
SU800

(system does not like my use of the word N i k o n so any models with no manufactureer are that)

My daughter is now a Photogrpahy student at College. So from week to week I seem to lose the odd peice of gear to her. The 300s is hers but she prefers the feel of the Pro Body so frequently "Borrows" one.

Last edited:
The reason for preferring the pro body is they feel better in the hand,with my
400d the handling improved when the battery pack was added.

I use a Nikon D-40 and a Cannon Powershot SX10. I also a film Pentax ME.
I want to get a telephoto lens for the Nikon or get a Pentax Digital.

Just ordered a few add-on lenses (Wide Angle, Telephoto, Macro) and a set of filters for our Fuji S7000 DSLR. Can't wait to try them out. Will be taking it to a wedding on Long Island in a couple of weeks and then Monster Jam in Philly in June. :thumbup1:

Had the camera for several years without any extras.

I use a N<A HREF="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Banned_Filtered_Vendor">*Filtered Vendor*</A> D-40 and a Cannon Powershot SX10. I also a film Pentax ME.
I want to get a telephoto lens for the N<A HREF="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Banned_Filtered_Vendor">*Filtered Vendor*</A> or get a Pentax Digital.
if you go to www.keh.com you can get a real good deal on a used Pentax K-7 or K20d digital bodies. I like the K7 as it gives me a faster frame rate when shooting continuous, and has better noise reduction at higher ISO (ISO 1600 and up). The Pentax digital bodies will accept all Pentax lenses including the medium format lenses and you only need adapters for the M40 screw mount and medium format lenses as the K-mount lenses will work with TTL center weighted spot metering and manual focus and the KA will auto focus.

Dave

Nikon D90
Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR
Tamron 60mm f/2 macro - latest acquisition
Thinking I need a tripod for the Tamron

Tamron 60mm f/2 macro - latest acquisition
Thinking I need a tripod for the Tamron

The rough guide I was taught is keep your shutter speed higher than the focal length. As long as you can stay above a 60th of a second, and with f/2 that should be doable in all but bad light, you should be able to hand hold.

All of that was in the days before they invented stabilisation, of course :001_smile

I'd be more inclined to use the 300mm zoom as a justification for getting a tripod...

The rough guide I was taught is keep your shutter speed higher than the focal length. As long as you can stay above a 60th of a second, and with f/2 that should be doable in all but bad light, you should be able to hand hold.

All of that was in the days before they invented stabilisation, of course :001_smile

I'd be more inclined to use the 300mm zoom as a justification for getting a tripod...

Thank you for the information. The Tamron doesn't have stabilization, but for normal pics, I don't have a problem. It's when taking macro shots a few inches from the subject that the slightest movement is emphasized, and I've been getting some blurred details. I have gotten better since getting it, but I will try keeping the speed above a 60th of a second.

I have a pair of Canon 40D bodies.
Tamron 17-50 2.8
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II

Love my cameras, and the lenses are fantastic. I shoot weddings and also provide some photos with stories I write. For some people, it makes sense to invest in this stuff, but not for most. I'd still like to have a good point-and-shoot for vacations and such.

But for anyone who's interested, I have a Sigma 70-200 2.8 for sale. It's in perfect condition and is a fantastic lens. I upgraded because I needed the IS in Canon's first-party glass.

Top Bottom