What's new

What blade works best in a Henson razor?

I have a Henson AL13 and have been using Astra SP blades for some time, but I'm about to run out and wanted to try something new. What do you use in your Henson, and what type of blade works best (sharp/agressive/mild, etc.)?

I like a sharper blade like Nacet, Wizamets, Permasharp, Feather, but it’s totally ymmv. Maybe try a sampler to see what works best for you?
100% agree. Kai are a bit wider than normal and will up the efficiency a bit if you’re interested in that. I believe Bic blades and Personna comfort coated are slightly narrower if you want to tone it down some. I’ve tried and like all those as well.

Sounds like sharper blades are preferable in this razor, so I ordered a sampler pack, one 5-pack of each of the following: BIC Chrome Platinum, 7 O'Clock SE (Yellow), Gillette Silver Blue, Perma-Sharp Super, Personna Lab Blue, and Gillette Nacet Stainless. Thanks for all of the suggestions; I'll let you know how it turns out!

Sampler pack arrived, and first up is the Bic Chrome Platinum. Soap was Seaforth Spiced. I've read some glowing reviews of the Bic CP, and I see why. I made one pass WTG, one XTG, and went ATG in a couple of tough spots. I have a typical old-man wiry beard, with a lot of tough silver/grey mixed in with what has always been thick black whiskers that grow flat against my face. When I originally received my Henson (++) a couple of years ago, I was thrilled to discover it came with 100 Astra SPs, which were my favorite blade at that time. These Bics were obviously very sharp out of the box, and mowed down 2 day's worth of growth with ease. I was a little concerned about going XTG and ATG, but the experience was incredibly smooth. I wound up with the best shave I've had in a long, long time. A notch above the Astras based on one shave. I finished up with a splash of Lucky Tiger, and the result is a truly BBS shave. I'll see how many good shaves I can get out of these BICs, and report back in.

Seems like posting question like that will get you way too many answers, and often leaves you confused. Try many different blades and see what you like.
Thanks - I just asked for recommendations, and I am grateful to those who have responded. I did order a sampler pack, based in large part on the input here, and I am already in the process of trying them out to see which ones I like.

I actually really liked the sample pack that came with it so I bought more. I switch between those and Astra's.
Mine came with 100 Astra SPs, and that's all I've used since I got it. I'm finally about to run out, so that's what prompted me to try something different.

I run my original Henson Medium with sharper blades - Feather, VB Hot, Diane Platinum, Sharp Titanium. If you're into vintage, I'd try a Personna SS, English Wilkinson, Personna 74, or a Gillette Platinum Plus/the Spolier.

4th shave with the Bic is done, this time with Haslinger Schafmilch soap. 1st 2 passes were smooth and effortless. When I went against the grain on the 3rd pass it felt just a little rough, so I slowed down, took my time, and had no problem ... no weepers! Followed up with a rinse, cold water splash, applied some Lucky Tiger. Another fantastic shave, the end result being possibly the closest, smoothest shave of my life.

One razor One blade...if I had to choose, this would be it! Sublime head and face shave!
Razor: Henson Mild
Blade: Feather (1)

In my experience, Feather blades pair really well with the Henson Medium as well.

IMG_6462.jpg

Top Bottom