What's new

What blade works best in a Henson razor?

I've been playing the same game with my (relatively) new Henson mild, and just tried a Personna Red. Expectations were low as the PR is supposed to be a relatively mild blade and mild+mild is supposedly not an optimum combo. I'm also a "blade heretic" as I consider most blades pretty similar.

I was amazed at the performance and result! Up to this point I have tried Gillette Blue, Lab Blue, Vokshod, and Astra. They all worked well, and all seemed close to the same -- but the PR was clearly better.

Thus the value of experimentation. Who knows what I might find in the other dozen or so blades that I have available to try out ...... and at this rate, how long this may take!

Gillette platinum for me. The GSB"s makes the Henson feel like a scrapper razor. The Gillette platinum doesn't feel like it scrapes. Nice and smooth.
That was the RKs for me. My first shave was so bad I tried to return the Henson. I am glad now that I kept with it and tried some other blades. I have discovered that my skin does not like the SS blades of any brand in any of my razors.

That was the RKs for me. My first shave was so bad I tried to return the Henson. I am glad now that I kept with it and tried some other blades. I have discovered that my skin does not like the SS blades of any brand in any of my razors.
That is amazing, since my skin does not like the Platinum blades of any brand. Literally, if it's a Platinum, I'm getting weepers.

That is amazing, since my skin does not like the Platinum blades of any brand. Literally, if it's a Platinum, I'm getting weepers.
My first shave with a Feather blade it looked like I had been in a fight with a wildcat. Merkur Platinum have been the smoothest blade for me for years. I just recently added Astra SP to the list too. It’s a good thing we all have options and I guess it reinforces the suggestion to try a few different blades to see what goes best with your face.

Shave 3 with the Personna Lab Blue was yesterday (Saturday) but I'm just now getting around to the review. The soap this time was Seaforth Spiced. The blade was still plenty sharp and smooth. This time I did 2 full passes, WTG and XTG, rinsing and relathering between each, of course. I knew I would be shaving again tonight, so I just did some touch-up in rough spots to finish up, deciding not to go for a full blown BBS shave. To finish, I rinsed my face thoroughly with warm water, then used an alum block for the first time. After letting that sit on my face for a few minutes, I splashed with cold water, patted dry and applied Seaforth Spiced AS. By not doing a 3rd pass ATG, I could feel some random whiskers along my neck and jawline that weren't BBS when I ran my fingers ATG, but there was zero irritation and otherwise everything was very smooth. After 3 shaves, this is still a very fine blade.

I really like the Henson razors (I have the + and ++). These razors force good, consistent technique to work well and I find the extremely blade tolerant (relative to others that can be picky). I tend to like any of the "really sharp" blades in either of my Hensons (Feather, BIC, PermaSharp, Nacet, 7 O'clock Black), but the ++ also does a great job with "Intermediate" blades (Personna's...any, Wizamet, Rapira, GSBs, Astra). The ++ is probably the only razor I have where I am almost indifferent to the blade (noting the above), and generally, I spend a lot of (way too much :)) time trying to pair the right blade to the right razor.

Not sure any of that actually helps you though...

If I had to pick one blade for each, I'd have to go with a Perma-Sharp for the + and a Personna Platinum in the ++.

4th and final shave with the Personna Lab Blue. The soap for this shave was PdP 63, otherwise this was pretty much a repeat of shave 3. The blade was still plenty sharp enough for two full passes (WTG and XTG), and some ATG touch-ups. The only questionable aspect was some mild irritation on the sides of my throat/neck from going directly ATG. I'm starting to think that this is a largely unavoidable issue when I shave ATG on my throat and neck, due to the texture of my beard and the way it grows against my skin in that area, as opposed to it being a blade or my technique that is the problem. Still, this was another close, smooth shave overall, and the irritaion was minor and faded quickly, as I finished up with an alum block, cold water splash, and PdP 63 Balm. My perception is that this blade is not quite as sharp as the Bic over 4 shaves, but plenty sharp enough and very smooth. Both are really, really good blades but if I had to choose a winner, it would be the Bic, but by the slightest of margins. I may feel differently after another shave with each; they are honestly that close. Next up: The Gillette Nacet Stainless.

First shave with the Gillette Nacet Stainless in my Henson. Soap was Haslinger Schafmilch. 3 full passes, WTG, XTG, and ATG. I'll just cut to it: I love this blade (so far). It was an easy, effortless, close and comfortable shave. I was careful and took my time ATG, and this blade mowed down those whiskers like a champ. Finished with rinse, alum block, cold water splash, and Lucky Tiger. No weepers or irritation, only some slight stinging with the alum, which quickly faded. Very impressed.

In the Henson medium the following worked very well for me: Wizamet, Feather, Astra Blue, Personna Med & Lab Preps.
Some that didn't work so well: Permasharp, Derby, nacet.

And I experimented with the Henson for about 6 months now...

This just goes to show how "YMMV" all of this is, as so far the NACET has been incredible for me.
Yes, saw that many people like how the Nacets perform with the Henson, but for me it was tugging and a bit rough. not smooth. Will revisit it though since I only tried it once..

I don’t have a henson. But this can be asked for any razor. It’s a total subjective question with no absolute answer except for only you can answer that question.

Back to PdP 63 for the 3rd shave with the Nacet. I believe this one was even better than the first two. This is definitely a sharp blade, but incredibly smooth and comfortable. Another 3 pass shave with no irritation. Finished again with rinse, alum block, cold water splash and PdP 63 AS Balm. BBS.

Top Bottom