What's new

what are your favorite war/military movies?

Heres a couple good ones that I think were not mentioned.
Battle for Sevastopol
The lost battalion
Flyboys
Generation war (3 part series)
When trumpets fade

Help me find a movie? I've been trying to track down for years, it occurred to me someone here might know it...

Its a WW2 movie that I don’t fully remember. If this rings a bell, or you have any idea of the title, let me know:

- It was American, I think it was from the 40s or early 50s.
- I recall it being black and white, but there is a chance my memory is faulty, and it could have been colour
- I don't recall any actors in it, but it was mainstream, not anything obscure or alternative.
- I saw it in the late 70s – mid 80s as a re-run.

Okay, the movie...
- It was focused on subs/ships as the setting, not sure how much, if any, was on land.
- I think it was set in the Atlantic Ocean, possibly Pacific. I doubt it was anywhere else.
- General plot,
… As I recall, it was a typical hunt/hide-and-seek scenario between boats (not sure if it was one captain against another, or more of a small fleet against small fleet (by fleet, not something big, more like a handful of boats) ... It may have had to do with convoys.
….The climactic scene, and what really made an impression on me, was that they had this final plan to get the German U-boat, and (I away out of my realm, technically, here)... they planned some sort of trap, that would have them drop depth charges... and the clincher is that they had a specific spot to be, and there was a different boat, not connected to them, that was torpedoed, and there were survivors in the water...and the survivors thought they were being rescued and were cheering...and people on the boat were aghast, because they had no choice (if they were going to get the U-boat) to drop the charges. It may have also been that it was too late (again, so short on how this might have been set up, but say, timed charges on the barrels on the boat, so they'd have to dump them or their boat would explode). So, the horror, and I think there was some arguing on the American boat, is that they dropped the charges and got the Uboat, but also all (most?) of the sailors in the water that had thought they were being rescued. My memory says that at the last minute the sailors in the water suddenly understood, in horror, what was happening.

Not ‘The Enemy Below’ 1957
Not ‘Run Silent, Run Deep’, 1958

Patton is the one movie that if I see it while flipping through channels, I will always stop and watch it. I love that movie so much.

Top Bottom