What's new

Thinking of buying a Rex Ambassador..

So my second shave with the Ambassador. One day's growth, 3rd use Permasharp blade.

I have a Pearl Flexi which is an obvious clone of the Ambassador. The head geometry is almost identical, and both have 6 settings of aggression. Not sure how their blade gaps compare, but both can feel pretty aggressive on higher settings.

The Ambassador is the better balanced of the two razors. It isn't as heavy as the Flexi, and the Flexi is handle-heavy, which I find makes it unwieldy in some situations. You don't have that problem with the Ambassador. Using the Ambassador on setting 2.8, there's definite blade feel, but the shave is smooth, comfortable and pretty efficient. I can feel the blade most on my neck, so I click down to about 2.1 and leave it there for the reminder of the WTG pass and the second, XTG pass.

No nicks, although I was aware if having to concentrate - just as I am with the Flexi. That said, it was an enjoyable shave, and 2.1 was a sweet spot for efficiency and comfort. I didn't have to fight gravity as I do with the Flexi, although I must say that both produce a good shave.

Overall, the Ambassador wins. The balance makes it easier to use, but I wouldn't say it's a better shaver than the Flexi necessarily. Clearly the engineering is top-notch, and the handle knurling is exceptional. You could coat it in butter and it wouldn't slip.

Very nice razor - although I'm glad I bought it second-hand and didn't pay the CAD$385 that Amazon's asking (I paid CAD$175).
Nice to hear another satisfied Ambassador user. Only had my Ambassador for a few weeks, and finally found my sweet spot, for an R41 type shave and it was 4.5 first pass, 3 for second and 2 for ATG. As the settings went down, so did the level of my concentration, and still no nicks or weepers. Once the alum block sings pretty good, it's time to accept those settings and no more. Would only take off more skin layer and run risk of in-growns. What a great razor, so much flexibility, can mimic many different razors in one quality package.

I've always wanted to buy one, but I never had the courage to do so. Too much controversy around the razor, the owner and the company and people either love it or hate it.
It's a tough decision for me but I went ahead and took the leap. I get BBS shaves no matter what I do, start high, go lower with each pass or just set at 3, seems to make no difference. I would not recommend this razor for very light beards or sensitive skin or both. I keep wanting to use a different razor from my arsenal, but when the time comes to shave, I just grab the Rex! Every blade I've used so far gives great shaves, the variable being longevity of blade.

It's a tough decision for me but I went ahead and took the leap. I get BBS shaves no matter what I do, start high, go lower with each pass or just set at 3, seems to make no difference. I would not recommend this razor for very light beards or sensitive skin or both. I keep wanting to use a different razor from my arsenal, but when the time comes to shave, I just grab the Rex! Every blade I've used so far gives great shaves, the variable being longevity of blade.

Finding what works for you is all that matters. I do have plenty of razors that deliver a fantastic shave, but so far nothing beats my titanium solid bar Blackbird. I do buy new razors from time to time just to make sure it stays that way, but I think I'm approaching the point where I might just keep the Blackbird and a few other razors and sell everything else, but not until I try the few razors I have on my list.

Just finished a shave with the Rex on setting six. It took keeping focus, but what a great shave. I definitely did better than the last time when I went with setting six and did an against the grain for the first pass. That was not so wise. It was a lot of irritation and a few weepers. No irritation or weepers this time. I hear people talk of no pressure but I don't think that is realistic. Minimum pressure is more of what I believe is necessary. There will always be some kind of pressure no matter how hard we try.

I wasn't looking to buy and Ambassador at all, and then, today, on Facebook, one came up pre-owned in great shape, for CAD $175, which is a real bargain, so I snapped it up and am now eagerly awaiting its arrival. I have a Pearl Flexi CC, and it's a good razor (although a little too much on the heavy side for me), so I know roughly what to expect. However, this will be my first stainless steel razor, so it's a worthwhile investment I reckon.

I'm a Gillette Slim fanboy, and my '65 is on its way back to me from Razor Emporium after their revamp service, so I've a lot to look forward to in the next week or so.

Enjoy your new Slim, it is one of my all-time favorites!! :a29::a29:

I know. I have 3. :)
My first razor in life was a 1962 Slim, cut my razor teeth on it. I have 4 now, one is a Prospector Edition from Razor Emporium, in rhodium and rose gold. I save it for special occasions and shave with the others. Great shaves from all of them. The Rex however, shaves as well but with a different feel.

In your opinion, "I tell everyone" ... does it make sense to get an Ambassador when you already have an Envoy that does its job very well?
Or is it better to take a Konsul?

The Konsul is a good razor but it's too expensive to my taste. It also has no obvious +60 euro advantage over the already highly priced Ambassador.

If you have an Envoy that gets the job done, then I see no need to get an Ambassador.

If you want something new and exciting that is like an Ambassador try a Pearl Flexi sb (slightly milder) or a flexi oc.

If you miss the premium feel of your Ambassador (which I TOTALLY understand, I sold mine as well and will regret it till the end of day) then ask yourself if the new price is worth the effort.
As much as I loved mine (and I did, I do and always will), I won't pay the current asking price. Ever. And I dont even have an Envoy to comfort me. 🤪

(I do wish I hadn't sold it)

The Konsul is a good razor but it's too expensive to my taste. It also has no obvious +60 euro advantage over the already highly priced Ambassador.

If you have an Envoy that gets the job done, then I see no need to get an Ambassador.

If you want something new and exciting that is like an Ambassador try a Pearl Flexi sb (slightly milder) or a flexi oc.

If you miss the premium feel of your Ambassador (which I TOTALLY understand, I sold mine as well and will regret it till the end of day) then ask yourself if the new price is worth the effort.
As much as I loved mine (and I did, I do and always will), I won't pay the current asking price. Ever. And I dont even have an Envoy to comfort me. 🤪

(I do wish I hadn't sold it)
I bought a cheap used Konsul, it seemed too pointless to have Envoy and Ambassador

I only own the Ambassador having won it from Ken Surfs in his Dec 2020 giveaway, and it's a very nice shaving razor with great ergonomics (handle), albeit with a good amount of blade feel, especially at settings over 2-3 depending on the blade.

That said, if I had to buy one at full price, I probably wouldn't own one. Yes, it shaves well, but truth be told, so does the $25 Muhle R41 head, my Timeless 95OC on eBay, the Rockwell 6S, Gillette New SC, and several other less expensive razors. Don't get me wrong, love the handle knurling, close shave, but not sure I'd spend that kind of money on the Ambassador if it was an out of pocket purchase.

Maybe its just I don't feel the shave is $200 better than my Timeless 95OC, which was an eBay steal, when an equally good if not better shave can be had from the other DEs mentioned, or a sub $10 GEM MMOC, ~$30 Schick Adjustable, or many other sub $100 razors. I also own a OneBlade Genesis, and it can give a nice shave, but push comes to shove, I prefer the others over the OneBlade 9 out of 10 days.

The Rex Ambassador and Konsul are both great.
QC is pretty good - just make sure to check the razor when you get it.
My first Konsul had an issue with the dial not turning smoothly. Matt swapped it out quickly.

I picked both of mine up during Black Friday (different years).
It's just around the corner :)
How much does Rex discount their razors on Black Friday usually?

The Rex Ambassador and Konsul are both great.
QC is pretty good - just make sure to check the razor when you get it.
My first Konsul had an issue with the dial not turning smoothly. Matt swapped it out quickly.

I picked both of mine up during Black Friday (different years).
It's just around the corner :)

Interesting you mention about the dial! I wonder how smooth are they supposed to be anyways. Mine does seem to have a little resistance. Nothing crazy though.. like it isn't "hard to turn".. there's just a little resistance. I think it has gotten a tiny bit stiffer since I've been using it.. maybe a little dried soap scum inside or something. At the same time you wouldn't want it too loose either.. that the wheel could be accidentally turning while you're using it. I wonder if maybe the dial might benefit from a single drip of oil to the dial now and again to keep them running smoothly. 🤔

Had it twice, sold it twice.
It's very much blade forward, and I never had so much drag when using a razor. But it's one of the most beautiful razors out there. But too expensive just to look at it.

Interesting you mention about the dial! I wonder how smooth are they supposed to be anyways. Mine does seem to have a little resistance. Nothing crazy though.. like it isn't "hard to turn".. there's just a little resistance. I think it has gotten a tiny bit stiffer since I've been using it.. maybe a little dried soap scum inside or something. At the same time you wouldn't want it too loose either.. that the wheel could be accidentally turning while you're using it. I wonder if maybe the dial might benefit from a single drip of oil to the dial now and again to keep them running smoothly. 🤔

It was too late to edit my post, but this thread got me thinking so I just went and checked my Ambassador and I must have been mixing it up with something else or misremembering because the adjustment dial is actually perfectly smooth. Buttery smooth throughout. Just perfect.. smooth enough to turn nice and easily but enough resistance that you won't accidentally move it while shaving. I must have confused it with some other razor or dial. Not sure. Anyways! The only minor "flaw" I see is that the adjustment dial doesn't quite go all the way down to zero. It starts at about 0.2 or 0.3-ish.. few a mm or two off. Probably just a matter of where the dial was set at or the numbers a hair out. A non-issue for me.

Top Bottom