What's new

What Are You Reading?

Rereading "The Lord of the Rings", one of my 3 all-time favorite books. I first read it in the mid-1960's, re-read it a number of times since, but this is my first reading since before the films came out.

Rereading "The Lord of the Rings", one of my 3 all-time favorite books. I first read it in the mid-1960's, re-read it a number of times since, but this is my first reading since before the films came out.

If your most recent memories of the story are the films, you will marvel at how much better the books are (and the movies are very, very good).

Reading ‘The Angel’s Game’ by Carlos Ruiz Zafón right now.

If your most recent memories of the story are the films, you will marvel at how much better the books are (and the movies are very, very good).

That's why I've waited almost 20 years to re-read them. I thought they did a good job with the films, but I have a friend who hated the films and could tell you every deviation from the books.

proxy.php

Just finished Crosley: Two Brothers and a Business Empire That Transformed the Nation.

Fascinating story of the Crosley brothers and their radio empire.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

I've read several of his 20th century thrillers, but Pillars of the Earth is my first foray into straight up historical fiction. His thrillers are historical fiction of a sort, too, even though they're not called that. He does a good job of it.

My first undergraduate degree is in history. I'm very much enjoying Pillars.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Inferno: The World at War by Max Hastings. This is a look at WW-II that has historical accuracy regarding who di what when, but expresses much of it from the point of view of the everyday combatant, which is a different perspective than that usually taught.

I'm reading The Fall of Gondolin by JRR Tolkien. Its kind of a compilation of various versions of the tale that were written throughout his lifetime, put together by his son Christopher. Its a shame that a final version was never written as its a great story.

The Circle Maker

And Lincoln’s Devotional (The Believer’s Daily Treasure) as a daily, or sometimes catching up on it weekly.

Last edited:

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
"The Boer War," by Winston Churchill. This is a single volume combining his books "From London to Ladysmith via Pretoria" and "Ian Hamilton's March."

The latest Jack Reacher, Past Tense. I've read them all, some are better than others. This is mid-table. It's not bad, but not great and the bad guys are a bit of a rehash of an earlier book in the series. Has JR had his day I wonder?

Leadership in Turbulent Times (Doris Kearns Goodwin). So far, very interesting for this history buff and student of leadership!

Top Bottom