What's new

What Are You Reading?

Just finished The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George.
Delightful, funny and moving.
Originally in German, oddly enough, but a very French story.

Do you use slide rules? I have a couple of K&Es that I was going to learn how to use, but never got around to it. If you’re in the US and want them, they’re yours. I’ll send pics if needed. I don’t want anything for them- just trying to get rid of things in my life that I don’t use.

I have six. Three are Picketts, one a pocket sized slide rule. I used those the most back in the day. The pocket slide rule I kept in my car for quickly figuring gas mileage and such. The other three are Bordens. Yes, they ended up making slide rules, too. The Bordens were found in a store that didn't know what they were. While the Picketts are K,A,B,C, CI and D scales, with sine, tangent, and log scales, the Bordens also have CIF, DIF, and log-log scales. The Borden's are a type that you can flip over and use both sides without removing the center scale.

I don't use them for any purpose other than simply keeping from forgetting how. You can only get mostly three significant digits out of all but the pocket Pickett, and that's really only good for two. The solar powered scientific calculator I keep in my shirt pocket is more accurate. Just using three significant digits and scientific notation makes mental math easier, too.

My wife hadn't seen my pocket Pickett before, and thought I'd acquired another. She didn't seemed pleased. Other than the Veg, she's never complained about my shaving acquisitions. So I'd better pass on this.

The old log tables in the back of science and math textbooks are usually good to three significant digits, too.

I'm a hurricane junkie.
proxy.php

OK folks. I really need some new authors to read. Please give me some recommendations. Some of my favorite authors are Neal Stephenson. Ever since I read Cryptonomicon I was absolutely hoooked. I do like Clive Cussler as well. The Dirk Pitt novels are fun reads. I've read some Lee Child and I feel the same thing about Jack Reacher. Fun stuff. I like Isaac Asimov. The Bailey and Olivaw novels are always good for me. I tried reading the Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson but just couldn't get into it for some reason. I got about halfway through the 1st book and just couldn't go on. That's happened a couple of times with that series and I always feel bad and go back and give it another shot. Oh I really liked all the Tom Clancy novels when he only wrote by himself. The things that were done in conjunction with other offers i just never liked. I like Stephen King as long as it's a story where he doesn't just totally kill off kids. As a father that stuff's pretty hard to read. Dean Koontz writes some good books. Life Expectancy was a really fun read. Beware the clown! I also really like Larry McMurtry. Lonesome Dove is an awesome read which caused me to read everything else by him. Nothing was quite as good as Lonesome Dove but I enjoyed them all regardless. I'll try and keep updating this post as I think of other authors.

The Incarnations Of Immortality series by Piers was really fun. John Grisham writes some good books but it seems it's hit-or-miss. I think I like his older stuff better.

Just started The motorcycle diaries - Ernesto "Che" Guevara. It's before the Cuban era, travelling on a motorcycle through South America.

It's nice having a University Library:
Burning the sky : Operation Argus and the untold story of the Cold War nuclear tests in outer space / Mark Wolverton.
The six day war, by Randolph S. Churchill and Winston S. Churchill.
Thoughts and adventures : Churchill reflects on spies, cartoons, flying, and the future / Winston S. Churchill
The Fujita plan / Mark Felton.
Food with the famous / Jane Grigson.

OK folks. I really need some new authors to read. Please give me some recommendations. Some of my favorite authors are Neal Stephenson. Ever since I read Cryptonomicon I was absolutely hoooked. I do like Clive Cussler as well. The Dirk Pitt novels are fun reads. I've read some Lee Child and I feel the same thing about Jack Reacher. Fun stuff. I like Isaac Asimov. The Bailey and Olivaw novels are always good for me. I tried reading the Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson but just couldn't get into it for some reason. I got about halfway through the 1st book and just couldn't go on. That's happened a couple of times with that series and I always feel bad and go back and give it another shot. Oh I really liked all the Tom Clancy novels when he only wrote by himself. The things that were done in conjunction with other offers i just never liked. I like Stephen King as long as it's a story where he doesn't just totally kill off kids. As a father that stuff's pretty hard to read. Dean Koontz writes some good books. Life Expectancy was a really fun read. Beware the clown! I also really like Larry McMurtry. Lonesome Dove is an awesome read which caused me to read everything else by him. Nothing was quite as good as Lonesome Dove but I enjoyed them all regardless. I'll try and keep updating this post as I think of other authors.

The Incarnations Of Immortality series by Piers was really fun. John Grisham writes some good books but it seems it's hit-or-miss. I think I like his older stuff better.
Try John Stanford (Either his Lucas Davenport series or the overlapping Virgil Flowers series). I also enjoy the relatively new Peter Ash collection by Nick Petrie.

Head Stone - Ken Bruen.

More Jack Taylor.

Favorite passage (so far)

"I'm an alkie, I'm hurting, I'll drink anything, even aftershave, and have done so.

Though I suggest you avoid Old Spice.

proxy.php

I just started Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton last night and am about halfway through it. I'm enjoying it so far. The book was found on his computer when he died and published posthumously.

proxy.php

Peter Benchley's "The Island". I have not read a bad novel by him yet.

I started The Island back in December, I think, and for some reason didn't get back to it. I need to finish it. I don't think I quit reading because I didn't like it. I just think something else, maybe Christmas, caught my attention, and I just forgot.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I just started Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton last night and am about halfway through it. I'm enjoying it so far. The book was found on his computer when he died and published posthumously.

proxy.php
That's a good one. One of my three go-to books when I'm on a pirate kick.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
About 100 pages to go in book 5 of Game of Thrones. Waiting on the final book and also April 14th

Top Bottom