What's new

What Are You Reading?

The Body: A Guide for Occupants by Bill Bryson. Incredibly revealing read, and wow what a talented author. I practically dropped the book at one point I was so stunned by the way he presented one particular fact.

A Better Man, the latest in the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penney. I am really enjoying listening on the drive to and from work, finding I want to sit in the car longer to hear more!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Now, I'm reading Charles Brandt's 2004 book, "The Irishman" (the movie version is on Netflix).

The plot is about Frank Sheeran (Robert De Niro) who "In a nursing home in his wheelchair, Frank Sheeran, an elderly World War II veteran, recounts his time as a Mafia hitman.

In 1950s Philadelphia, delivery truck driver Sheeran starts to sell some of the contents of his shipments to a local gangster in the Italian Philadelphia crime family. After his company accuses him of theft, union lawyer Bill Bufalino gets him off, after Sheeran refuses to give the judge names of his customers.

proxy.php

Bill introduces Sheeran to his cousin Russell Bufalino (Joe Pesci), the head of the Northeastern Pennsylvania crime family. Sheeran begins to do jobs for Russell and members of the local South Philadelphia underworld, including murders.
proxy.php

Soon, Russell introduces Sheeran to Jimmy Hoffa (Al Pacino), the head of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, who has financial ties with the Bufalino crime family and is struggling to deal with fellow rising Teamster Anthony "Tony Pro" Provenzano, as well as mounting pressure from the federal government.

Hoffa becomes close with Sheeran and his family, especially his daughter Peggy, and Sheeran becomes Hoffa's chief bodyguard while on the road".

Read More: The Irishman

proxy.php
"I heard you paint houses". Jimmy Hoffa

Last edited:
I just paused my reading of Heretics of Dune, the fifth in Frank Herbert's Dune universe, so that I can read Walter Isaacson's biography of Leonardo da Vinci.

Highly recommend all of Frank Herbert's Dune series. It is an immersive experience. And definitely read Dune before December 2020 in preparation for the release of the movie...

Just finished "Kim," by Rudyard Kipling, and am moving on to "Treasure Island," by Robert Louis Stevenson.
Treasure Island was a great read. How was Kim? I've had trouble starting Kipling's works, but want to read all of his stuff.

"The Bourne Identity," by Robert Ludlum.
The Bourne trilogy was awesome! So distinctly different from the movies that I wasn't picturing Matt Damon the whole time. My wife loves the trilogy more than I do, and has read them all two or three times.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Treasure Island was a great read. How was Kim? I've had trouble starting Kipling's works, but want to read all of his stuff.
Kim was good. Not quite what I expected. I've always heard of it as one of the progenitors of the spy novel, so I was expecting a little more intrigue than there was.

The Bourne trilogy was awesome! So distinctly different from the movies that I wasn't picturing Matt Damon the whole time. My wife loves the trilogy more than I do, and has read them all two or three times.
I've only read the trilogy once. When I heard they were making a movie, I decided to read the book to see how it compared. Very different obviously, but they did a great job with the movie, so I wasn't disappointed at all. But I grew up watching the TV miniseries with Richard Chamberlain, and after reading the book I managed to find the VHS tape that Dad had used to record it, and I got to watch it again. So when I was reading the book this time, it was Richard Chamberlain and Jaclyn Smith I was picturing.

I'll be reading the other two books soon, but right now I'm trying to get in the Christmas spirit, so I'm reading this:
IMG_20191212_164320985.jpg

The Middle-Aged Man on the Flying Trapeze. I'm on my James Thurber kick again. I still have the first Thurber paperback I ever bought when I was in early high school, 1961 or 62, called "My Life and Hard Times". Every so often I reread the Thurber books I own and add another. "Trapeze" is out of print, so I had to download it and blow the dust off my unused Kindle until I find a good print copy at a reasonable price.

“The Old Curiosity Shop” by Charles Dickens. It’s quite funny. I read “Tale of Two Cities” in high school, and once I got into it, couldn’t put down.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I just finished "The Bourne Supremacy" and now I'm reading "The War Of The World," by H.G. Wells. I was going to read "The Riddle Of The Sands," by Erskine Childers, but I watched "Mars Attacks" last night, and it changed my mind.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Book 6 of Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series.
I think there are 14 books.
I read them on my IPAD while on the treadmill.

Radioarchives.com had a great clearance sale on shadow and doc savage pulp reprints. I got 28 stories for $24. I'm reading the shadow story that the first batman comic appearance "borrowed" the story.

Top Bottom