What's new

What are you listening to?

I hear ya on the role model part but we all got a little Jim in us I think. I cultivated that part of me in college maybe a bit to the extreme 😆 And The Doors were part of that soundtrack for me. They always hit me hard with their groove, energy, and the rawness of Jim’s vocals. It wasn’t until a bit later that it struck me just what awesome musicians the band were. All in all I always enjoyed my trips with The Doors!

Ben Harper: Diamonds on the Inside

“When you have everything, you have everything to lose.”

Paul Simon: Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes

“Empty as a pocket. Empty as a pocket with nothing to lose.”

Prince: Diamonds and Pearls

“If I could I would give you the world, but all I can do is offer you my love.”

[ one] [ two] [ three ]

proxy.php

The weekend

(Half time show)

You mean The Weeknd. :) sorry for the correction

What did people think? I think I am still dizzy from that one segment. I thought is was pretty good, not wonderful. I like The Weekend quite a bit, and that was a well-planned and financed production. I thought the MTV awards opening was better.
Much shorter, of course. What did others think?

I think the Grammies snub of him is a great demonstration of the continued irrelevance of that institution to popular music. :)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
You mean The Weeknd. :) sorry for the correction

What did people think? I think I am still dizzy from that one segment. I thought is was pretty good, not wonderful. I like The Weekend quite a bit, and that was a well-planned and financed production. I thought the MTV awards opening was better.
Much shorter, of course. What did others think?

I think the Grammies snub of him is a great demonstration of the continued irrelevance of that institution to popular music. :)
Oh sorry you are right.
I thought he tried to do a Michael Jackson thing but it was ok. The house of mirrors part gave me a headache. The guys with the “jock strap” face masks lost me.

< Oh sorry you are right. >

My kids corrected me earlier or I would not have known. :)

I do not fully understand the bandaged face thing, but it is definitely part of what he does. I suppose it adds to the dystopian feel of things. Nice way to have folks wear face masks, though. He seems to have sort of given up on the bizarre haircuts.

I would say he has taken quite a bit from MJ, but I am sure he is not thinking he can really dance like MJ or anything like that. I think it is fair. I like that his persona is kind of malevolent. Pretty wild for him to be singing about doing rails off an ebony table on TV in Starboy. I assume part of the reason the sound was not great was to disguise some of the original lyrics, again in Starboy. Starboy and Blinding Lights seem like state of the art great music to me.

I think the best Superbowl half-time show I ever saw, by far, was Prince. Bruno Mars, I suppose, the second time around, anyway. Hard for me to remember Lady Gaga or MJ. Most have been pretty mediocre IMHO. In my mind the Foos did a good job, but they have never actually performed there, I read on the internet! So The Weeknd did fine.

Top Bottom