What's new

Perfect Albums

I was just browsing the site and noticed this Fothread, and before I read the first post I thought to myself "Automatic For The People." Boy was I surprised and elated that it was the impetus for this thread!
Yes. And for me it always helps if the sound mixing is remarkable. This one sure is.

So many perfect albums come to mind. Many of them already discussed here. I decided to link a couple albums that I don't think have been mentioned in this thread.

Chick Corea - Return to Forever (the 1972 album with seagull skimming over the water on the cover)
Airto - Natural Feelings 1970

So many perfect albums come to mind. Many of them already discussed here. I decided to link a couple albums that I don't think have been mentioned in this thread.

Chick Corea - Return to Forever (the 1972 album with seagull skimming over the water on the cover)
great call on Return to Forever!

I love love both those records!

The Grateful Dead's American Beauty has always been a perfect album to me.

1711921612823.png

If Do You Believe in Magic by The Lovin' Spoonful is not perfect, it's very, very close. There's so much to enjoy there beyond the title track and "Did You Ever Have to Make Up Your Mind?".
And "Younger Girl"!

Interesting pick. There is a lot on the track listing that i am not sure I have ever heard, at least by the LS! I did not remember them doing "Another Side of this Life" or "Fishn' Blues." I bet they are good. Sebastian really did have roots in that Greenwich Village folk scene, didn't he?

As much as anyone possibly could.
True that!

I just had a listen to several cuts on that album I had not remembered from the Spoonful. "Another Side of this Life" and "Fishn' Blues" are both great versions of great songs. "My Gal," too. I did not get beyond that. Sounds like some full on blues tunes, too. I am impressed!

The alternative takes are worth listening to, as well. The alternative take of Younger Girl may even be superior, if uneven. Actually, the Critters version may have been better than the Spoonful's version(s).

Actually, the Critters version may have been better than the Spoonful's version(s).

It's a very good rendition. If a person doesn't like that one, they just don't like the song.

I'm going to have to dig up the Spoonful's alt take.

edit: Oo, yeah, I like that.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to dig to the Spoonful's alt take.

edit: Oo, yeah, I like that.
I am glad you like it. It sort of has little lapses, as if they had not polished it up, but I like that is a simpler presentation. Less "lush" an arrangement. What is that on the original, a dulcimer?

Gotta be Sebastian's autoharp.
Autoharp! That is what I was trying to think of!

I listened to some more of the album. Definitely has some of that California jug band thing going on, too. All sound great to me. At least very good versions of great tunes Very much of the year it came out. LS seem highly underrated these days or at least under talked about.

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison
His cover of Hurt by NIN is incredible

Jackson Browne -Running on Empty

Jeff Beck- Blow by Blow

Eric Clapton- 461 Ocean Boulevard

Eagles- Hotel California

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

I can't have a music conversation with anyone who doesn't love this album.

Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison
His cover of Hurt by NIN is incredible

Better than the original for my money, but then I never could get into industrial.

Jackson Browne -Running on Empty

That is a great album. I believe I'm going to cue that one up.

Top Bottom