What's new

What are you listening to?

Tony Bennett on Amy Winehouse...

Bennett-Winehouse duet, Body & Soul
Thanks for those. Makes me a little misty-eyed. AW does sound a lot like Billie Holiday on that cut. Not my usual style of music. I will have to take TB's word for it, and I do.

I did not realize TB had had cocaine problem. Interesting that he brings up drugs as to AW. But she died of alcohol poisoning, with reports stating that she had zero illegal drugs in her system. (No question she had done heroin, crack, and powder cocaine in her life, but there is some suggestion that she had kicked those without that much trouble, and, I suppose the implication is she had stayed fairly straight from hard drugs.) Also, she had a major cigarette addiction and had been hospitalized with "emphysema" when she was 24. She died of respiratory failure, so her lung condition did not help. (Apparently, crack also has some quite weak association with emphysema.)

I just read that Delores O'Riordan of the Cranberries death was not associated with fentanyl, as seemed to be originally reported, but of accidental drowning in the bathtub during intense alcohol intoxication. No illegal drugs in her system. This was in a hotel bathtub and she was fully dressed in pajamas of all things!

So sad.

Sorry for the thread drift, but what is it with female singers and bathtubs? Whitney Houston famously drowned in a bathtub. I had thought because she got really high--maybe because she was really depressed, maybe even suicidal--passed out, and slide beneath the water surface. Apparently it is more likely she fell into 150 degree water hitting her head. That puts a different cast on it, at least to me. Still very sad.

Top Bottom