What's new

What are you listening to?

Good Timin' - Jimmy Jones (1960)

That song is always on my iTunes play list along with Handyman. I had the 45 of both back then. Jimmy Jones was of my earliest rock n roll memories along with the first Ventures LP and a pair of "sidewinder" shoes. For the youngins, sidewinders were popular around 1960. They laced up to the outside of center, had a pitched heel and a pointed toe which we called "cockroach killers".

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
This is how I start my day each day.
F60CFD9B-929D-4D03-89E9-D3DD4B8308A9.png

At 8:43 Calloway performs my favorite version of St. James Infirmary, out of all his performances of it.

While my wife and I watched the first few seasons of Saturday Night Live and enjoyed the Blues Brothers movie, Cab's Minnie the Moocher gets our vote as the best scene in the movie.

Just came inside from listening to oldies on my iPod while trimming my neighbor's hedge on my side of the fence. The last song I heard, after half a fifth of gin, was one of my favorites. I love ending chores on a high note.

Last edited:
I came across my half-dozen Slim Cessna's Auto Club and Munly CD's today. I saw SCAC live at a small show in a bowling alley in Asbury Park, NJ, 10-15 years ago. I saw a lot of top bands in the 60s and 70s, from Jefferson Airplane to Dylan's Rolling Thunder, but (outside of The Pogues) this band, live, was the most memorable. Despite the weirdness, these guys can play and put on a show. For those who don't know, Slim's the one with the beard, Munly is the death-warmed-over looking guy. Munly's solo CDs are even weirder than SCAC.

Last edited:
I think ABACAB is an underated post Gabriel album
Absolutely agree. There is some great song craft there. Plus the usual fantastic musicianship and vocals. I saw them tour this record at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. What a superb show that was.

Btw, love your profile pic of George Harrison. Was that shot from A Hard Day's Night? I know there's the scene where he's shaving in the bathroom with a towel around his neck using a can of Old Spice in the mirror. Someone here on BnB also pointed out a photo where all four Beatles were shaving with Tabac. I thought it was from A Hard Day's Night too but could be wrong. Fun Beatle/Safety Razor trivia :) Big Beatles fan here.

Top Bottom