What's new

What annoys you?

I am not stupid and I have learned that the most annoying way to check out is at the self check out. If something is going to go wrong or be incorrectly priced it will happen when at the self checkout and then getting help only makes you look like an idiot. I refuse to use them and when prompted my the teenage clerk that the self checkout lane is open I just ignore them.

AFAIC, the self checkout is the door. There is no way in hell I'm going to ring up my stuff and pay for it. Blasphemy!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
In general, I just can't stand people who pay by check at all. The way I see it, the only reason to pay by check (short of huge checks for the down payment on a home and the like) is if you don't currently have the money- they're out of cash and have no credit. Whenever I see someone writing a check I say "That's gonna bounce."

I can write a check faster than you can swipe your card, enter the pin, and wait for approval. I also think that people that buy groceries with plastic don't know how to manage their money. If they did, they would be writing checks and keep track of where they are spending their money and whether they have enough to cover it.

If you are ever behind me in the line when I am spending the few seconds it takes to write in the amount of my purchase on my otherwise filled out check, and begin displaying your judgmental dislike for my preferred form of tender, I will make a mistake, void the check and start over, just to annoy you. And if that gets you to make an actual verbal comment, you will wish you had just stayed home.

I have pondered quite some time before deciding to respond to your rude condescending remarks. It is not like me to tell someone they are a cad, but in your case I will make an exception. I know you contribute a lot to this forum and you are probably a great guy to meet, but please don't judge me for the way I have paid for my groceries for over forty years.

Edit: I also have never had to re-swipe my check and enter the pin a second or third time.

In general, I just can't stand people who pay by check at all. The way I see it, the only reason to pay by check (short of huge checks for the down payment on a home and the like) is if you don't currently have the money- they're out of cash and have no credit. Whenever I see someone writing a check I say "That's gonna bounce."

That's funny because as someone who usually pays by check or cash, every time I see someone who is paying with plastic I think "well there goes someone who can't manage his money. I wonder how much credit card debt he has racked up".

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, it hasn't annoyed me, but I don't want to be the guy stuck in between Ouch and OldSaw at the grocery line!! :blink:

BTW, yes, I buy groceries with a credit card. No, brocolli has not put me in peril of the Bankruptcy Trustee. Now, buying razors with my credit card, on the other hand ... :eek2:

Well, it hasn't annoyed me, but I don't want to be the guy stuck in between Ouch and OldSaw at the grocery line!! :blink:

BTW, yes, I buy groceries with a credit card. No, brocolli has not put me in peril of the Bankruptcy Trustee. Now, buying razors with my credit card, on the other hand ... :eek2:

+1 on the stuck between Ouch and OldSaw... well - hell, I don't like being stuck near anyone in any line :biggrin:

I think we're all getting a little too hot here RE: the check VS credit card issue... I think there are merits to both sides. For instance - credit card companies are sharks, and many, many, MANY Americans are in debt because of credit cards... while on the other hand, I can't tell you how many times I have been stuck next to an old woman who literally took 5 minutes to write a check for $2 worth of goods. In fact... on multiple occasions I have merely paid for the ladies items, just so I could get outta there quickly, easily, and with all the hair still on my head :wink:

For what it's worth, I notice young to middle aged individuals are typically quite quick with checks (and as a result do not "annoy" me) but the elderly drive me bonkers with those checks - however for me personally I don't attribute lack of $ with their choice to use a check.

Me personally? I use a credit card (well, actually it's an AMEX - so it's more of a "charge" card as I pay the balance off in its entirety every month)... and for 3 primary reasons - 1. My CC gives me a whopping 5% cash back on my purchases 2. My CC company doubles the manufacturer's warranty and gives buyers protection for 90 days - IE if you break the item, it is stolen, etc - they cover it (and i've used this and they stand good by it) 3. A credit card is small - I do not have to carry a seperate check book, nor do I have to carry a pen, and frankly I'm lazy, and hate carrying extra items unless absolutely necessary.

For what it's worth the $ back I get ends up equating to the sum of a new handgun, high end custom straight razor, or other "desirable" each year for merely purchasing items on the card which is simple enough, so for me, it's a no brainer. Also, I get quicken (or any other program you desire) downloadable (and itemized) statements with in depth purchasing information (including the address and phone number of the store and time of purchase) - which again plays into my "laziness" factor, as I get all the desired financials/tracking and THEN some, without having to do any work, and I can accurately track, store and refer to these items with ease, as they store/keep my history online, so if I am ever audited, instead of having to fumble around collecting receipts everywhere I can, I merely have to login, click on the individual charges - and print up the receipts.

Alright - I'm getting off on a tangent, but the jiist of it is - I think Jay was moreso referring to the sketchy "stolen checkbook" type of individuals, and the blue haired old ladies, as you might notice - Jay is from a pretty big city... with a lot of crime, where as most of the gentlemen who have responded saying they are check writers are from more rural areas - and trust me... that's not a bad thing! Us city boys are always in a HUGE hurry, are technology junkies, and are used to dealing with much smellier (in a bad way) sketchier folk.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have pondered quite some time before deciding to respond to your rude condescending remarks. It is not like me to tell someone they are a cad, but in your case I will make an exception.

I have your comments before me.
In a moment, they will be behind me.

Jay I agree, Old Saw aside, everyone else takes a helluva lot longer to pay with a check. And I don't know what all this pin talk is about anyway, I've never entered a pin anywhere except at an ATM. :blink:

Drivers that use borrowed handicapped hang tags to allow them to park more conveniently and inconsiderate drivers that park in a handicapped parking space "for just a moment" although having no legal or otherwise right to do so.

Drivers that use borrowed handicapped hang tags to allow them to park more conveniently and inconsiderate drivers that park in a handicapped parking space "for just a moment" although having no legal or otherwise right to do so.

Plus drivers who use borrowed handicapped hang tags and pay with a check. :biggrin:

The one thing that drives me crazy is when my wife and I go out to a nice restaurant....the type if place where you go to have a romantic dinner. The place with candles, tables that are far enough apart that you feel like you are the only one's there...the kind of place that is usually playing
Frank Sinatra in the background..the place where if you drop a fork someone will be right there to pick it up and hand you a clean one. The kind of place where you can spend hours there and the wait staff isn't trying to rush you out the door....The kind of place where you only go once a year or so..

OK....I hope you get the picture...

What drives me crazy is my wife and are are eating at this fancy place and there is a family there and the kids are running around like they are at Chuck E Cheese!!!!......

And the parents are just sitting there like nothing is happening.

Probably the thing that sends me to the moon is....

When my wife sounds just like her mother!!!!!......

For those of you who are married you know exactly what I am taking about..

My wife hates the way her mother talks to her father when she is mad....

But my wife will turn around and say the same thing to me when she is mad at me...

Of course it doesn't help matters when I call her by her mother's name!!! :biggrin:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have your comments before me.
In a moment, they will be behind me.

I must have used some of that Rabid Shave yesterday. I will say this, it was a fun rant and allowed me to blow off a little steam. I had to vent a little and that comment was just the ticket.

Like I said, I'm sure you are a great guy and I am not trying to pick apart every thought you have, I just felt a need to share my view.

One thing I have noticed, is on the rare occasion I get riled up, the more the thread picks up. Not that I am planning on ranting more frequently, just an observation. Kind of like good news fades away, while bad news is repeated until everyone has heard it at least a dozen times.

There is a man with whom I work, who is presently sitting about 20 feet from me. I can distinctly smell the stale, ripe, and pungent odor of his pets permeating from across the aisle.

This guy continually comes to work smelling like his pets, and by all accounts, he has a veritable zoo at home. Dogs, cats, rodents... you name it, he's probably got four. In fact, one of his vets is on our phone speed-dial. His clothes are covered in fur, sometimes to the point during these not-so-humid months that it upsets my allergies, even though I try to avoid close contact with the guy (for obvious reasons).

Sometimes his odor has a distinct cat urine smell. Other times, it's eau de wet dog. Most often, however, it's a complex aromatic blend of both, distinct depending on the pheromones of whichever of his pets are presently in heat.

This annoys me. A lot. I've put up with it for going on two years, and lately I've been about to crack. The guy is a lovable doofus, and I have no other reason to be rude to him but "dude, you smell awful" is about as subtle as I think I can be. (My boss often calls me "subtle as a sledgehammer")

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There is a man with whom I work, who is presently sitting about 20 feet from me. I can distinctly smell the stale, ripe, and pungent odor of his pets permeating from across the aisle.

This guy continually comes to work smelling like his pets, and by all accounts, he has a veritable zoo at home. Dogs, cats, rodents... you name it, he's probably got four. In fact, one of his vets is on our phone speed-dial. His clothes are covered in fur, sometimes to the point during these not-so-humid months that it upsets my allergies, even though I try to avoid close contact with the guy (for obvious reasons).

Sometimes his odor has a distinct cat urine smell. Other times, it's eau de wet dog. Most often, however, it's a complex aromatic blend of both, distinct depending on the pheromones of whichever of his pets are presently in heat.

This annoys me. A lot. I've put up with it for going on two years, and lately I've been about to crack. The guy is a lovable doofus, and I have no other reason to be rude to him but "dude, you smell awful" is about as subtle as I think I can be. (My boss often calls me "subtle as a sledgehammer")

Just get him to stop using the Pinaud Lilac Vegetal ... :whistling:

I feel your disgust, Pat. :001_07: :18: Hilarious description.:thumbsup:

Handicapped people that park diagonally into a spot and take up the handicapped spot and the van sized hatched out area between their spot and the other handicapped spot.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Handicapped people that park diagonally into a spot and take up the handicapped spot and the van sized hatched out area between their spot and the other handicapped spot.

The proliferation and abuse of handicap spaces annoys me. I have nothing against someone who needs special parking. However, we have made being handicapped so inclusive that the number of spaces to support them is ridiculous. Most of the time they sit empty or are used by people that certainly don't appear to be handicapped. What I mean is if you can push a shopping cart up and down all the aisles at the grocery store, you can certainly park with the rest of us, regardless of whether or not you have a pass.

While waiting in the car for my wife the other day, all the regular spaces were taken, so instead of being rude and waiting right in front of the door, (apparently some people think this is perfectly OK), I pulled into the furthest handicap spot. I did not leave the car. If someone would have used two or three of the closer ones I would have pulled out and circled the lot until she came out. Well, when her meeting was over all these ladies came pouring out of the building and several of them gave me quite the nasty look for daring to park in the handicap spot. Come on, nobody else was using them and there were four of them.

So if I am not taking the last space and I stay in the car am I doing a bad thing? Certainly if I took the last space, I would never know if someone else needed it. It's not like I do this frequently, but what a waste of parking spaces.

Top Bottom