What's new

What annoys you?

guys who wear stubble as a beard. If you can't run a comb through it, it ain't a beard! The lone exception to this would be highly sculpted styles like the foo man choo look or a very short goatee. I'm thinking of men like Michael Moore.

How about guys that wear a suit with that scruffy look. If you're trying to look presentable, then shave!

==Tom

Metrics!!!

I spent the day working on a friends truck. It semed that every third bolt or nut was a metric. I hate metrics!

Back when I was in grade school in the mid/late seventy's there was a big push to switch us over. I hated it then and I hate it now. Whenever I read something and a measurement is given in metric without the standard equivalent I want to smack somebody. So what if the rest of the world uses it. It isn't my fault they are too stupid to use fractions. What is so damn hard about dividing by eights/sixteenths etc? I guess I'm resistant to change. I even continue to use the three letter abbreviation for Illinois. As you can see from my user name. I guess I'm a walking anachronism!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Metrics!!!

I spent the day working on a friends truck. It semed that every third bolt or nut was a metric. I hate metrics!

Back when I was in grade school in the mid/late seventy's there was a big push to switch us over. I hated it then and I hate it now. Whenever I read something and a measurement is given in metric without the standard equivalent I want to smack somebody. So what if the rest of the world uses it. It isn't my fault they are too stupid to use fractions. What is so damn hard about dividing by eights/sixteenths etc? I guess I'm resistant to change. I even continue to use the three letter abbreviation for Illinois. As you can see from my user name. I guess I'm a walking anachronism!

I deal with this all the time in the machine shop where I work. It isn't metric that annoys me as much as converting. I actually wish we would have converted to metric in the seventies, so the pain would be over by now.

And the thread continues...:

-ambiguous communication
-hidden agenda's
-people telling you A and doing B
-People telling you A, doing B and in all honesty not remembering they told you A in the first place. 'Why? I thought we had agreed upon...'.

Just horrible.

...and Houston, though I've seen my fair share of women driving huge SUVs with cell phone firmly planted in ear drive like there's no one else on the road.

I swear we have the worst drivers on earth here.

I've been around, a lot by car; it seems to me, universally, that wherever anyone currently lives and drives has the worst drivers on earth.

That said, Rhode Island's roadways are a special breed of dysfunction.
Everyone either is going thirty miles too slow or thirty miles too fast, all on the same road; and no one keeps right, usually because they just drift from lane to lane seeking immediate daylight ahead.

You know how the QED website is hectic? There's something in the water down there.

Picture a Special Olympics for Boston drivers, and you're close.

...and Houston, though I've seen my fair share of women driving huge SUVs with cell phone firmly planted in ear drive like there's no one else on the road.

I swear we have the worst drivers on earth here.

I nearly got creamed this morning by a woman driver is a Chevrolet Suburban, cell phone firmly planted in ear. I honked my horn to let her know of my displesure with her driving and she was completely oblivious to it.

Guys who wear toupees.

I have gotten to the point were I can spot them almost immediately. Rarely do the toupees look like real hair or something that actually belongs on top of some guys head.

I nearly got creamed this morning by a woman driver is a Chevrolet Suburban, cell phone firmly planted in ear. I honked my horn to let her know of my displesure with her driving and she was completely oblivious to it.

Which is a perfect illustration of the problem. When she was completely focused on her phone conversation and basically driving on autopilot, your horn bowing made no impression, at all. She probably did technically hear it, but it did not interfere with her focus on the conversation. In effect, she did not hear it.

This is why they say cellphone conversations are possibly "worse" than drunk driving. Most (but not all) drunk drivers realize they are impaired and are at least trying to pay attention to the tasks of driving. Cellphone users are often completely tuned out from their driving.

Tim

What annoys me is when I am in a line at a store and the person in front of me decides to have a long conversation with the cashier about whatever. Since they have no where to be I guess they think that the rest of us have no where to be.

I stopped to get gas this past Friday afternoon and in front of me in line at the checkout was a county sheriff deputy. He was getting lunch(we clock out at noon on Fridays:cornut:)and his total came to $3.97, so he reaches into his utility belt and whips out his checkbook. Well fine, so he doesn't have any cash on him, happens to me all the time. He writes the check and hands it to the cashier who asks him for his license. "I don't have it on me." :blink: "Do you know your expiration date?" asks the cashier. "No." says Officer I'm better than everyone else and don't adhere to the laws of the public because I am the law. Fearing for her life the cashier just stamps the thing and calls it a day.

I was so pissed and actually apologized to the cashier for the less than friendly law enforcement officer. He writes a check for $3 and gets uptight because she asks for his license? Don't write a freaking check then Rosco! Not to mention that everyone else has to carry their license with them, I can imagine how well it would go over if I had told him "I don't have it on me" if he pulled me over for having a marker light out or something trivial.

I've been around, a lot by car; it seems to me, universally, that wherever anyone currently lives and drives has the worst drivers on earth.

That said, Rhode Island's roadways are a special breed of dysfunction.
Everyone either is going thirty miles too slow or thirty miles too fast, all on the same road; and no one keeps right, usually because they just drift from lane to lane seeking immediate daylight ahead.

You know how the QED website is hectic? There's something in the water down there.

Picture a Special Olympics for Boston drivers, and you're close.

Boston drivers are pretty bad. Rush hour congestion here creates some sort of critical mass in which the average drivers flouts common sense, courtesy and demonstrates a casual disregard for their own safety and that of those around them. I have driven in just about every major city between Prague and San Francisco and the things I see here are mind boggling.

Since we are now on food pet peeves, how about drive up fast food places?

Were these people born stupid or did they take a class? Why can't they hand me my change correctly? What I am referring to is when they hand you some bills and then immediately try to place the coins on top of the bills. Anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of this knows that the coins want to slide off.

This annoys me so much that I now wait for them to hand the bills in my direction and then I pick them from their hand with just my thumb and fore finger. This really throws them off, because they instinctively want to dump the coins on the bills and now they can't. They give me a weird look as I quickly place the bills in my right hand and put my left hand back out the window to receive the coins.

Actually I think they have to fail a test to get hired. Should they pass, they do not get the job.

People who forget their password one day after changing it and then asking me to drop everything to reset and complaining that we have too many passwords!!!!:cursing:

YES, I am an IT guy!

Cheers!

My favorite variation are those who claim that the computer is wrong, they are typing the correct password. PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

Since we started with grocery stores, I'll toss in people who get in the Express Check out with 1 or 2 extra items. And they know they have too many because they count them, then get in the line anyway.

Randy

I have a way of dealing with this, that "KILLS" at least with the checker and the onlookers. I very boldly tap the offender on the shoulder and say "You have 15 items here. Which 12 of these 15 are you planning to get?"

Usually the cashiers are instructed to not make an issue of it, but if I persist, often the offender will have to move. Others usually chime in. I'm not being an ***...just wondering...WHICH 12 OF THESE 15 Items were you planning to get? You're in an express lane...*******!!

It has worked more than you can believe. Try it. Say it loud, say it proud.

Okay, I am lazy and did not read all of the postings. So if I repeat, forgive me.
There are too many to list, but here is one:
You are waiting in a long, slow line at a fast food place and you have very little time. There is a large group in front of you that decides that, instead of taking the time to finalize their decisions, they talk. When they finally get to the register, it is like they have seen the menu for the first time, and proceed to do the whole, "Oh, I guess I should decide what I want." Infuriating!

Just one more for the day.
Dumb people using self-checkout registers at the grocery store. Whoever thought this would be a time-saving tool overestimated the intelligence of most people. You all have seen it. The people who stare blankly at the checkout screen, not knowing what to do. And heaven help you if they happen to have produce! You will never get out of there.
Honestly, there should be some kind of IQ test required before using those. If you pass, you get a little card that you can scan that verifies that you are smart enough to use the self-checkout.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Just one more for the day.
Dumb people using self-checkout registers at the grocery store. Whoever thought this would be a time-saving tool overestimated the intelligence of most people. You all have seen it. The people who stare blankly at the checkout screen, not knowing what to do. And heaven help you if they happen to have produce! You will never get out of there.
Honestly, there should be some kind of IQ test required before using those. If you pass, you get a little card that you can scan that verifies that you are smart enough to use the self-checkout.

I am not stupid and I have learned that the most annoying way to check out is at the self check out. If something is going to go wrong or be incorrectly priced it will happen when at the self checkout and then getting help only makes you look like an idiot. I refuse to use them and when prompted my the teenage clerk that the self checkout lane is open I just ignore them.

Top Bottom