What's new

Paketa 64 Soviet era Straight Razor

I'm really interested in getting this shave ready. It's in pretty good condition and even came with instructions. Stamp of Purchase: "196" "1" or "4". Someone in Keiv is selling a bunch of them.

1707671440165.png

1707671381002.png

Google Translate is rough, but for a free translation it's not bad!

steel products plant

on the role of a dangerous British hairdressing salon
howl of the Moscow plant "Steel Products"
1. When purchasing a razor, it is required that the store
put your stamp and date of purchase on this in-
structures.
2. You cannot test the cutting properties of the razor.
by rubbing on a nail, wood, paper or
other items. After such a test, the razor
There will be no shaving; special instructions will be required.
3. Remove the anti-corrosion layer from the new razor -
lubricate it with a soft cloth, grabbing the blade with it
through the back and then point the razor at
soft leather belt.
4. Lather your hair thoroughly before shaving.
hot soapy foam. Every time you shave
Wet the razor blade in hot water.
5. The shaving process is carried out in two steps:
in the direction of hair growth and ultimately against
hair growth directions. Very important when shaving
make sure that the razor lies close to your face as possible
at the slightest angle.
b.8 if the razor bothers you when shaving,
should be used again on a soft leather strap -
Not. In case of more severe dullness, the direction should be
produced on a leather belt using paste
.Goy" and again on a clean leather belt.
7 In rare cases, you should resort to referral
ke razors on the touchstone with soap suds, or better yet with
machine oil. When straightening a razor on a whetstone, and
It is also necessary to place the razor on the belt so that
so that the razor is in contact with the back and blade. By-
Be sure to rotate the razor through the back. After
the whetstone should be adjusted again using a belt with mastic
and then on a clean leather remie.
8. After shaving, the razor should be well
washed and dried with soft, clean cloth, and cut
The cutting edge should be lightly lubricated with neutral
lubricant to protect against corrosion.
9. Do not give the razor to someone who is not experienced.
to the grinder.
10. If the razor is not suitable for shaving,
subject to the buyer's compliance with these
rules for using a razor and the absence of others
external signs of razor damage due to fault
consumer, the plant makes repairs free of charge
or replacing the razor within three months with dia
purchasing it in a store.
11. When presenting claims, please attach
standing instructions" with a store stamp and date
purchases

“You cannot test the cutting properties of the razor.
by rubbing on a nail, wood, paper or
other items. After such a test, the razor
There will be no shaving; special instructions will be required.”
No arguing with that!
I’ve always been curious about USSR razors. Yours looks great, stay away from nails and wood and she’ll do you right.

These have been around forever it seems. They must have made a bizillion of them. There sre some commerative issues too I think. Nice razors, usually affordable, shave well, hone well most of the time. I like the rocket emblem.

I don't shave with straight razors. But as a person born in the Soviet Union, I am interested in everything related to that era. In the 1960s, space themes were popular in the USSR. Everything related to space flights. Wristwatches and hydrofoils were produced under the brand "Ракета".

Attachments

• Ракета.jpg
    Ракета.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 6
View attachment 1798099

At least an impression of a brighter future to come back then. Reality was something different though…
It's true. In 1961, at the next congress of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, the head of the Soviet state Nikita Khrushchev announced that by 1980 communism would be built in the USSR and the communist era would begin. Before the statements about the coming onset of the communist era in the USSR, another goal was announced at the longest post-war congress of the Communist Party: over the next 10 years (by 1971), the party leadership and the government planned to "catch up and overtake the United States" in a number of important indicators. In particular, in two five-year plans, the USSR had to achieve advantages in terms of total production and per capita production.

I had one, they're nice little razors. A nice snapshot of a more (relatively) prosperous and hopeful time in the Soviet Union's history.

The quality of stuff made in the USSR didn't correlate with the level of relative prosperity as much as with the available machinery, the standards in place, and their enforcement.

The best relative quality of consumer goods like razors would probably be in the 1950s - early 60s, while the life in the USSR was still pretty hard. The quality of life for an average citizen peaked by the late 70s. However, by that time it was all about quantity and exceeding the 5-Year Plan goals, the technological standards were not really enforced and most domestic consumer goods were junk.

The quality of stuff made in the USSR didn't correlate with the level of relative prosperity as much as with the available machinery, the standards in place, and their enforcement.

The best relative quality of consumer goods like razors would probably be in the 1950s - early 60s, while the life in the USSR was still pretty hard. The quality of life for an average citizen peaked by the late 70s. However, by that time it was all about quantity and exceeding the 5-Year Plan goals, the technological standards were not really enforced and most domestic consumer goods were junk.
I was speaking more to them celebrating the space race, which they were winning at the time.

I was speaking more to them celebrating the space race, which they were winning at the time.

Yes, but most people in the West have very little understanding of the human cost of that victory. The space race was a very expensive endeavor, the Soviets put an incomparably larger percentage of their GDP into it, and this came at the expense of the quality of life - even the lifespan - of an average Soviet citizen. The US was building post-war bungalows for new families, creating a network of interstate highways, and greatly improving their agricultural output, while also having the funds to launch rockets. For the USSR, the latter was at the expense of the former. The living conditions were bad, there was a severe housing shortage greatly exacerbated by the destruction of WW2, and the government was shooting hundreds of billions of dollars (in today's equivalent) into space to prove a point.

And of course, that point they proved in the early space race wasn't really about space at all...

Absolutely. Sputnik was proof of concept of much more than just a sattelite. For anyone paying attention, anyway.

It was a very clear signal that the USSR now had a ballistic missile capable of reaching any point in the US, and that the era of the one-sided US nuclear superiority was over.

(In reality, it took the Soviets another decade to reach parity, but the Americans didn't have to know that...)

Once both countries got serious about space exploration and not just propaganda driven publicity stunts, the space news became boring and mundane. Robotic probes, ever longer space station habitation records, boring...

Last edited:
Yes, but most people in the West have very little understanding of the human cost of that victory. The space race was a very expensive endeavor, the Soviets put an incomparably larger percentage of their GDP into it, and this came at the expense of the quality of life - even the lifespan - of an average Soviet citizen. The US was building post-war bungalows for new families, creating a network of interstate highways, and greatly improving their agricultural output, while also having the funds to launch rockets. For the USSR, the latter was at the expense of the former. The living conditions were bad, there was a severe housing shortage greatly exacerbated by the destruction of WW2, and the government was shooting hundreds of billions of dollars (in today's equivalent) into space to prove a point.

And of course, that point they proved in the early space race wasn't really about space at all...
In the USSR, under Khrushchev, the housing problem was solved by building prefabricated prefabricated houses. The so-called "Khrushchev". There are still a lot of urban residents living in these houses.

In the USSR, under Khrushchev, the housing problem was solved by building prefabricated prefabricated houses. The so-called "Khrushchev". There are still a lot of urban residents living in these houses. In fact, this is social housing, which allowed many citizens living in barracks built during the 1941-45 war to move into separate apartments. Have there been similar projects in the United States? I don't think so. Write me if I'm wrong.

lasta

Blade Biter
I don't straight shave anymore, but I had a yellow Rocket about 20 years ago. Stainless, but very easy to hone. Light and nimble with great grip.

In the USSR, under Khrushchev, the housing problem was solved by building prefabricated prefabricated houses. The so-called "Khrushchev". There are still a lot of urban residents living in these houses.

I wouldn't say the Khruschevkas introduced in the 60s "solved" the problem of housing in the USSR. They just helped the situation to some extent. In the mid 80s in Leningrad 40% of all apartments were kommunalka (Communal apartment).

I lived in the Soviet Union in the mid-80s. My father had a colleague who was a very nice guy. So my father said his colleague wanted to invite my family to his place, but said it was inconvinient because he lived in a kommunalka. Of course I didn't know what that was until then.

Top Bottom