What's new

What a man needs to know

Most of what I believe a "real" man needs to know has already been mentioned, however I will add: a real man needs to know how to give love, receive love, and tell those in his life that he loves them.

I know this is dripping with sap. :redface:

Thanks.

Jeff

As an addition to the grilling tips. Rather than lighter fluid, you can also use a chimney starter - http://virtualweberbullet.com/chimney.html - a few crumpled up pieces of newspaper, a match, and you're good to go. I bought one this year and can't believe how I ever got by without one!

+1 on the grilled vegatables. I'll throw in my vote for asparagus.

I do love my chimney starter. In one episode of Good Eats on Food Network, Alton Brown seared tuna by putting a grill right on the chimney. It's like a jet engine running when the coals are good and hot.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A man's gotta know his limitations ... and how to expand them.

Above the door of the Delphic Oracle were inscribed two mottos: "Know Thyself" and "Everything in Moderation".

A man should know something about everything and everything about something.

While knowing how to drive a stick is important, I would put knowing how to back up a trailer ahead of it. And doing it well.

One thing to this day that I still look to my dad when not knowing what to do is what to say at formal events, be it weddings or funerals(mostly the latter). I never know what to say, I'm terrified that I will say the wrong thing and offend someone. Thankfully most of the time my dad is there as well and I keep a bit of distance and watch what he does. It's amazing, he just seems to be able to put you at ease simply by speaking. He isn't one to talk a lot, he says what's on his mind. I delivered a speech at my brother's wedding that I still remember, and gave a great eulogy at my great uncle's funeral.

Everything else can be summed up in this way: "If she doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy." Thanks Red Green Show! It's better to be a jack of all trades than a master of one.

A gentleman needs to know how to appreciate fine whisky.

I haven't made it that far yet. I had a friend who knows single-malts pick one out for me to try, as I really had no idea what they were like. I have to say, its pleasures still elude me. (On the other hand, I love Cynar. To each his own.)

Top Bottom