What's new

West Coast Shaving Prank

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I agree that April Fools pranks about one's finances is out of bounds.

I think it would be interesting to see a poll with the degree of dislike of the prank and the person's age. I would guess that the age and dislike are proportionately related.

My theory is that folks that lived in time when credit cards and online transactions weren't a defacto standard feel more strongly about this than those that came later. I would also guess - and that's all it would be - that the person that green lighted this at WCS is at max in their low to mid 30's but more probably 20's.

I wouldn't expect a college kid to understand financial responsibility when all they have to do is ask mom and pop for more dough, then comment on what's ridiculous or not. Mind you, I know some care, the humble ones.

That seems like a fairly broad statement. Not everyone in college has the ability to "run to mom and dad for cash". I never had that when I was in college, and still do not have that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter their financial standing or age. Just because someone thinks the prank was amusing doesn't mean they don't understand finances or care about them.

It made me do a double take, but I figured it was a joke before I opened the email. I knew as soon as I saw it that it would not be received well. Did I find it funny? No. But it doesn't leave a bad enough taste to quit doing business with them, as my experiences have all been very positive.

As mentioned though, that "sale" is the real joke. They could do better, especially if they're trying to apologize. Or send out an offer/coupon to their mailing list as an apology.

That seems like a fairly broad statement...
Fairly broad, yes, although primarily directed to a member here. Hence the last statement. My apologies if you feel offended.

...Just because someone thinks the prank was amusing doesn't mean they don't understand finances or care about them.
Oh, they do indeed, all they care is their finances. The insult goes beyond the bad joke regarding credit card overcharge and most annoying is what some businesses do with the information you give away. Like your email address.
It took me a while to get rid of all the marketeers, unsolicited phone calls during (family) supper time, unsolicited emails choking my accounts and wasting my time with their marketing ploys.
Not surprising there is legislation against it.
Much quieter now.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Okay since I'm the original poster let me try to put it in my perspective so maybe others may better understand why I was so angry and upset over the email. First of all, I have been using, building, repairing, and living and breathing computers for over 35 years, so I am neither gullible or a fool of some sort when it comes to anything computer-related. But I trusted WCS, so when I saw the subject line early in the morning my trust in West coast shaving made it more believable. Now for the reason I totally panicked before opening the email, as many others will understand, I am retired now and on a fixed income, so that $2,000 amount would have financially devastated me since a lot of my bills are automatically paid, such as electric, rent, insurance, phone, and other payments, which were due the next day, so even if it was straightened out eventually I would have been screwed. This is not even taking into account the money I need every month for medications that help me stay alive, groceries for me and my family, etc. So no I did not take it as a funny joke. Not all of us have the luxury or means to endure a mistake like that very well. So perhaps this small glimpse into my life will help those that tell me I should "lighten up it was just a joke" to understand the seriousness and ramifications this would have to other peoples lives in different situations then their own situations, and perhaps better understand why they don't think it was funny whatsoever.

I have been accidentally (or fraudulently) charged $1,850 for real in the past by
a prominent online travel website, so I know how that feels....and what happens next.

I get a sms on my phone telling me about the charge. In order to make the transaction in the first place, I would have
had to authorise the transaction with a one time PIN no. None of the happened with WCS.

So I knew it was just some BS....I actually bought a whole lot of soaps, altho the 10% off on every alternate product was a bit lame.

This won't stop me from dealing with them again altho they need to whip their social media interns into shape.
That was most un-funny and something that might go semi-viral for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
Okay since I'm the original poster let me try to put it in my perspective so maybe others may better understand why I was so angry and upset over the email. First of all, I have been using, building, repairing, and living and breathing computers for over 35 years, so I am neither gullible or a fool of some sort when it comes to anything computer-related. But I trusted WCS, so when I saw the subject line early in the morning my trust in West coast shaving made it more believable. Now for the reason I totally panicked before opening the email, as many others will understand, I am retired now and on a fixed income, so that $2,000 amount would have financially devastated me since a lot of my bills are automatically paid, such as electric, rent, insurance, phone, and other payments, which were due the next day, so even if it was straightened out eventually I would have been screwed. This is not even taking into account the money I need every month for medications that help me stay alive, groceries for me and my family, etc. So no I did not take it as a funny joke. Not all of us have the luxury or means to endure a mistake like that very well. So perhaps this small glimpse into my life will help those that tell me I should "lighten up it was just a joke" to understand the seriousness and ramifications this would have to other peoples lives in different situations then their own situations, and perhaps better understand why they don't think it was funny whatsoever.

I do understand your reasons.

Everyday I get junk mail from Fedx, IRS, people I do not know, job offers, money owed.....you get the jest I trust. I simply trash them. If I had gotten a email from WC, I would have done what I always did before unsubscribing, trashed the email.

Since I have online banking, one account, one card, and the understanding that I am protected against unauthorized purchases, I am not bothered.

As they say, "Some people can't take a joke." It wasn't in the best of taste, but to go all crankypants seems a tad excessive... on April Fools Day.

I would also guess - and that's all it would be - that the person that green lighted this at WCS is at max in their low to mid 30's but more probably 20's.

Agree....millennials at play.
Their mantra: it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Agree....millennials at play.
Seriously, what is it with dumping on Millennials? Also, that has been the mantra of young people for ages. It will be the mantra for Gen Z and for my daughter's generation.

I'm not singling anyone out here or pointing fingers, so more of a general statement.

I never want to turn into the grumpy old man that's yelling "Get off my lawn" at the neighborhood kids. I choose to enjoy life and not carry any hatred with me. For me, it's just not worth hanging onto the anger. When I put my head down at night I sleep good and I like it that way.

I've seen people get all bent out of shave on these forums about things that don't really matter like shaving soap, shipping times, or he said this or that. Even a poorly thought out but well intended April Fools day joke. I get that we all need a purpose in life but please choose something positive. Being happy is a choice and I want the very best for everyone here.

Find the positives in life and dwell on those while you overlook the negatives. Life is much better this way.

Hush with the bashing and insulting. Just because something does not bother you does not mean it won't bother another. Good grief. Be kind.

Seriously, what is it with dumping on Millennials? Also, that has been the mantra of young people for ages. It will be the mantra for Gen Z and for my daughter's generation.

I think you're reading a negative sentiment where none exists.
People of this demographic (22-37yrs) are termed as millennials
so how is naming them dumping on them?

I wouldn't have even bothered starting a topic on this issue but since
it's open already....

I like a good laugh myself and this was just a dumb piece of communication that
resulted in an epic fail....it might have been averted with the supervision of someone
who had some experience creating sales pitches that are relevant, in good taste
and appropriate for the audience and the occasion.

I think you're reading a negative sentiment where none exists.
People of this demographic (22-37yrs) are termed as millennials
so how is naming them dumping on them?

I'm taking a guess here but when you said:
That was taken as "dumping on millennials". I can somewhat agree. Why should one have to ask permission if it is their job to do something? Maybe they did ask if they could do it, or it was a good idea, and their boss signed off on it. Maybe the person that signed off on it was also a millennial. Heck, maybe the person that signed off on it was a Gen X'er or a Baby Boomer. You don't know. So jumping to the conclusion that a millennial did something without permission can be taken as dumping on them. Just my opinion. It also does not help that millennials seem to be the dumping ground of 90% of the worlds problems lately.

it might have been averted with the supervision of someone
who had some experience creating sales pitches that are relevant, in good taste
and appropriate for the audience and the occasion.

There is no telling how this decision was made. Someone with experience might have signed off on it and it still was taken poorly by their consumers. There has been a long line of advertisements that were put out that did not have the effect that they intended. These are from big companies with very experienced PR departments and probably have large Advertisement firms working for them. Experience doesn't stop bad decisions and really sometimes can make things worse.

I wouldn't expect a college kid to understand financial responsibility when all they have to do is ask mom and pop for more dough, then comment on what's ridiculous or not. Mind you, I know some care, the humble ones.

LOL. Very classy of you to assume someone's financial responsibility. You don't know my life or what I do. I actually am a financial advisor so not sure what you're going on about. Anyways. All you had to do was click the link. Instead you got your panties in a bunch. Literally. Click. The. Link. Problem solved.

You probably have a personal vendetta against Nigerian Princes too huh?

That seems like a fairly broad statement. Not everyone in college has the ability to "run to mom and dad for cash". I never had that when I was in college, and still do not have that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter their financial standing or age. Just because someone thinks the prank was amusing doesn't mean they don't understand finances or care about them.

Didn't realize being gullible on April Fool's Day means you're being financially responsible :a14:

All you had to do was click the link. Instead you got your panties in a bunch. Literally. Click. The. Link. Problem solved.

Here is the problem with that. There have been tons of phishing scams going around with legitimate looking emails. Many claim your account has been hacked or charged in one way shape or form. You click the link, it takes you to what looks to be the legitimate website. You put in your login and password and whatever information they are requesting because you want to clear things up. Oh, come to find out it was a scammer just looking to get all your information. This happens daily, and thousands of people fall for it without realizing it. So to say just click the link is not as straight forward as you may think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom